Intro to Mass Media Research
This course provides students with an introduction to the basic research issues and processes needed to utilize both quantitative and qualitative methodologies appropriate for mass communications students who are taking their first research course in research methods. It creates an environment designed to train students how "to do scholarship" and how to make reasoned cases and offer well-informed research conclusions, as they relate to critical issues and "clashing views" in mass media and society.
This course is taught as a research course.
As a result of completing this course, a student will be able to
1) Demonstrate knowledge of sound research practices
2) Write effective research essays.
3) Exhibit the dispositions expected in their area(s) of specialization.
1) Students will be required to submit discussion posts and respond to peers' posts.
2) Students will be required to take a mid-term assessment on ethics and documentation.
3) Students will be required to complete three research-related essays.
4) Students will be required to attain a score of 70% of above on both the research essays and the mid-term exam on ethics and APA documentation.