Virtual Speakers Bureau
Skills & Interests
Humanities / World Languages / Chinese
Chinese language, linguistics, literature, culture, pedagogy.
Humanities / World Languages / ESL or EFL
ESL, TESOL, English for Academic Purposes.
Science and Technology / Instructional Design and Technology
Instructional technology design, implementation, and assessment
- Chinese Language Teachers' Association of Southern California
Board of Directors 01/2013 – 12/2015
- Chinese Scholars Association
Board of Directors 01/2008 – 12/2009
- Ph.D. Applied Linguistics (11/1996)
- Hsu, Kylie. (2008). Practical Chinese Exercises, Vols. 1-3. Los Angeles: Learn Perfect Publishing.
- Hsu, Kylie. (2002). Selected Issues in Mandarin Chinese Word Structure Analysis. New York: The Edwin Mellen Press.
- Hsu, Kylie. (1998). A Discourse Analysis of Temporal Markers in Written and Spoken Mandarin Chinese: The Interaction of Semantics, Syntax, and Pragmatics. New York: The Edwin Mellen Press.
Honors & Awards
- President’s Distinguished Professor (09/2011)
This is the highest faculty award at California State University, Los Angeles. It is given to a faculty member selected from among all the faculty members who have won the Outstanding Professor award.
- Outstanding Professor (09/2008)
This is a prestigious award from California State University, Los Angeles, to faculty with a sustained record of outstanding teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Distinguished Woman (05/2003)
This is a prestigious award from California State University, Los Angeles, to faculty, administrators, and staff with distinguished accomplishments in professional activities, community services, and contributions to women's issues.
- Professor of Chinese and Linguistics (09/1997 – Current) California State University, Los Angeles