Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
Ultimate Guide to Engaging Students in the Virtual Classroom
With an entire generation of learners experiencing the flexibility of online learning, this format is here to stay. To...
INTELLIGENT PERSONAL ASSISTANTS IN THE CLASSROOM: IMPACT ON STUDENT ENGAGEMENT
The purpose of this study was to measure the differences in student engagement when a teacher implements purposeful...
How to Implement Active Learning Strategies and Activities Into Your Classroom
“Active learning is a very broad concept that covers or is associated with a wide variety of learning strategies”. This...
Tips for Encouraging Student Participation in Course Discussion
Motivating students to actively participate in class is a challenge even for the most experienced educators. The words...
Bias-free communication - Microsoft Style Guide
Microsoft technology reaches every part of the globe, so it's critical that all our communications are inclusive and...
Women of Color in Tech
This website features a collection of images of Women of Color in a variety of technical jobs.
The Gender Spectrum Collection: Stock Photos Beyond the Binary
Representing people of all identities responsibly is a core value for VICE. Over the years, as we have published stories...
The Open Learner Patchbook
This award-winning space is here to house the stories of how learners learn in higher ed. Below is a list to choose from...
The Open Faculty Patchbook
Fleming College faculty (and anyone else who’d like to add!) are building a community patchwork of ‘chapters’ into a...
Episode 8: Establishing and Revisiting Our Teaching Philosophies and Teaching Personas
Your teaching philosophy helps examine who are you as a teacher and examines what beliefs and values are at the heart of...
Assessing Online Student Learning: How You Can Gauge Activities and Writing Through Online Assessment
In the past year, many instructors worried that their online teaching presence might miss the in-person cues they picked...
Overcoming Student Distaste for Collaborative Group Work Online
How can you help students overcome their distaste for collaborative group work online (and also thereby change your view...
CNDLS: Inclusive Pedagogy Toolkit: Power
Teaching and learning takes place in a context shaped by power dynamics. Most obviously, only the teacher controls grades...
CNDLS: Inclusive Pedagogy Toolkit: Climate
The social environment in which students are learning, including the relationships between faculty and students and...
CNDLS: Inclusive Pedagogy Toolkit: Assessment
Assessment is a crucial part of any course; you need to know whether your students are learning what you set out for them...
CNDLS: Inclusive Pedagogy Toolkit: Content
Attending to the content of your course means analyzing your design choices regarding assignments, materials you share,...
CNDLS: Inclusive Pedagogy Toolkit: Pedagogy
Creating accessible and equitable learning experiences, experiences in which all of our students feel empowered to...
Telling Your Data Story Using Tableau Seminar | Data Science for All
The “Telling Your Data Story Using Tableau” seminar was created as part of the NSF-funded Data Science for All project...
Teaching Mistakes 101
This is a compilation of comments from instructors to help others. It will be useful for first-time instructors, but...
2021 EDUCAUSE Horizon Report® Teaching and Learning Edition
The COVID-19 pandemic has transformed the higher education landscape. Though it remains to be seen whether those...
HBCU AL$ Resource Center
With the essential support from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the California State University Long Beach...
INSYSTED pedagogical framework – Instructional booklet
This is the intellectual output 1 of the Erasmus+ INSYSTED project: an inspirational guide to foster soft and digital...
Here's a Quick Way to Instantly Have Closed Captions
Here's a great accessibility feature that enables closed captions for e-learning courses and videos that run through...
Teaching and Learning in the Time of COVID: The Student Perspective
This article describes findings from the Survey of Student Perceptions of Remote Teaching and Learning, which was...
New Pedagogy Members
Sankaranarayanan K BBharathiar University
Ellie DworakBoise State University
Steven KromanTexas International Education Consortium
Heather FarmakisTexas International Education Consortium
Catherine McCollumWMU Cooley Law School
Angela WhiteMorehouse College
EUGENIO RIVERADepartment of Education Taft National High School
Rafael SantosAcadian Campus, Crowley
tajaxo sfddfsCentral Institute of Technology
Catherine SullivanGNB - WorkingNB
Jessica BynumMiles College
Tonya WaycasterUniversity of North Carolina System
Albert UnrathDelaware TechnicalandCommunity/Technical College
Faustino HernandezCo-op NFUCA
Aluri Sai PadmaBhavan's Vivekananda college
Brent PierceDaytona Beach Community/Technical College
Jeremy JungbluthUniversity at Buffalo
Jennifer FordUC San Diego
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
- If reading Inside Higher Ed is an integral part of your day, show your support by joining our Insider membership pr… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9 minutes ago | insidehighered
- A research brief from the Hope Center for College, Community, and Justice at Temple University found that nearly 7%… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | insidehighered
- An external review of gender equity in the NCAA describes the college sports governing body as highly financially r… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | insidehighered
- Do you work with a mentor? Find out how finding one can help you get more out of professional learning.
edutopia.org/article/4-ways…2 hours ago | edutopia
- College endowments of at least $500 million -- of which there are about 200 -- reported a median return of 34% in f… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | insidehighered
- ICYMI: Borrowers who file for bankruptcy usually can’t get their student loans discharged in the process. Members o… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | insidehighered
- Limited time and limited budgets don’t have to keep students from engaging in activities that encourage their probl… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | edutopia
- Trending: Nassau Community College and Adelphi University are partnering to provide community college students with… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | insidehighered
- Book Review: Four learning science pillars to support institutional change. bit.ly/3xos03Z https://t.co/ihFPkXyyJe, photo: pic.twitter.com/ihFPkXyyJe5 hours ago | insidehighered
- High school students can increase their academic success when they are provided with education that is tailored to… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | edutopia
Pedagogy on the Web
The Towns Mirror Special: Class act: Community helps students log in
Aug 04, 2021 05:22 PM PDT
Disruption in regular studies taking toll on mental well-being of students in Pb, Hry
Aug 04, 2021 05:00 PM PDT
Victoria COVID cases on Thursday after teacher tested positive at Al-Taqwa in Truganina
Aug 04, 2021 04:02 PM PDT
Pre-schools reopen with limited students
Aug 04, 2021 03:52 PM PDT
Martin Community College offers 'Career in a Year' to attract adult learners
Aug 04, 2021 02:33 PM PDT
SIT pilots workplace learning pathway towards uni degree
Aug 04, 2021 02:00 PM PDT
Study hard, play harder: City toppers share their secrets to success
Aug 04, 2021 11:33 AM PDT
Collin College launches iCollin virtual campus
Aug 04, 2021 10:37 AM PDT
ASU a partner in advancing online adult learner education
Aug 04, 2021 10:03 AM PDT
LSU faculty petition seeks return to online, hybrid classes for fall
Aug 04, 2021 08:33 AM PDT
Cook With Scott Conant and More in Sur La Table's Exclusive Zoom Classes
Aug 04, 2021 07:26 AM PDT
BRAOU to start online classes for PG second year
Aug 04, 2021 05:00 AM PDT
Covid-19: 86 per cent schools keen on digital infrastructure post pandemic hit, study finds
Aug 04, 2021 04:15 AM PDT
Virginia Commonwealth University and Top Hat Partner to Improve Student Affordability and ...
Aug 04, 2021 04:03 AM PDT
Modi Govt's Inability to Send Children Back to School Will Affect India's Future
Aug 04, 2021 01:26 AM PDT
Returning Students & Adult Learners Visit at Minnesota State University Moorhead
Aug 04, 2021 01:16 AM PDT
90% of college students demand tuition refunds
Aug 04, 2021 01:04 AM PDT
'Govt. must track homeschooled children to prevent dropouts'
Aug 03, 2021 11:09 PM PDT
First Shot Impressions for the Active Learning Professor: Higher Ed Activity Stations
Aug 03, 2021 10:48 PM PDT
Donegal community groups urged to apply for disadvantaged adult learner grants
Aug 03, 2021 10:37 PM PDT