Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
Programmed Learning often called Programmed Instruction paved the way for learner-centred and self-paced learning. It is...
Assessment That Matters: Trending Toward Practices That Document Authentic Student Learning
Following up on its 2009 and 2014 surveys of chief academic officers, the National Institute for Learning Outcomes...
Assessment: The Bridge between Teaching and Learning
This brief article addresses the role that assessment plays in determining the degree of student achievement. As the...
Toward Better Teaching: Office Hours With Bonni Stachowiak
A new school year is just around the corner. And that has many higher-ed instructors thinking about ways they could...
Image Repositories on the Web for Teaching Astronomy
This guide lists and reviews 61 web sites with catalogs of astronomical images that are useful for both formal and...
Exploring New Models with Blended and Flipped Learning
Despite its growing popularity, defining blended learning and flipped learning is more difficult than one would expect....
Examples and Tips on How to Write a Teaching Philosophy Statement
For most educators, writing a philosophy of teaching statement is a daunting, even unpleasant, task. Sure they can...
10 Effective Classroom Management Techniques Every Faculty Member Should Know
10 Effective Classroom Management Techniques Every Faculty Member Should Know features 10 different approaches to...
Back to School: First Day of Class Strategies
There’s no discounting the importance of the first day of class. What happens that day sets the tone for the rest of the...
Syllabus Infographic PowerPoint Templates
The Cambrian College Teaching & Learning Innovation Hub has created a series of syllabus templates designed as...
Foundations of Learning and Instructional Design Technology
This book reflects a suggested strategy for teaching new graduate students in the LIDT field. First, the book begins with...
📚 MC Test Analysis
Many educators design multiple-choice question examination. How do we know that these tests are valid and reliable? How...
Module d'objectifs et de croissance
Ce module d’objectifs et de croissance aide les apprenants à prendre un meilleur contrôle de leur apprentissage en les...
Applications of LinkedIn Learning in Ontario's Post-Secondary Institutions
Each of the cases in this book reflects a range of approaches and perspectives of using video-based resources to increase...
Beyond The Lecture: Innovations in Teaching Canadian History
Beyond the Lecture is open access ebook which developed out of the enthusiasm, insight, and conversations that were...
Introduction - Driving Educational Change: Innovations in Action
Driving Educational Change: Innovations in Action was written as part of a graduate course on Learning Technologies...
Flipped Through Design
The term “Flipped Classroom” is one that has generated discussion around the world of education. Through this method of...
Learning to Learn Online
Learning to Learn Online helps you prepare for online learning success by introducing you to the online learning...
Pulling Together: A Guide for Teachers and Instructors
A Guide for Teachers and Instructors is part of an open professional learning series developed for staff across...
BC Reads: Adult Literacy Fundamental English - Reader 3
This reader contains nine original stories written specifically for adults, and is designed to accompany the BC Reads:...
BC Reads: Adult Literacy Fundamental English - Reader 5
This reader contains nine original stories written specifically for adults, and is designed to accompany the BC Reads:...
Teaching in a Digital Age
The book examines the underlying principles that guide effective teaching in an age when everyone,and in particular the...
BC Reads: Adult Literacy Fundamental English - Course Pack 2
This course pack is designed to meet the learning outcomes for Adult Literacy Fundamental English Level 2 (roughly...
BC Reads: Adult Literacy Fundamental English - Course Pack 1
This course pack is designed to meet the learning outcomes for Adult Literacy Fundamental English Level 1 (roughly...
New Pedagogy Members
Adam MakslIndiana University System
Kate SierraTexas Wesleyan University
Jen HuttonCalifornia Institute of the Arts
Melissa HillMitchell Community/Technical College
Diane MillerPima Community/Technical College
Anna KinneyUniversity of North Dakota
Shannon CastleNorthwestern University
Cambrian College Teaching & Learning Innovation HubCambrian College of Applied Arts and Technology
Carrie MillerMinnesota State University, Mankato
Laura RenningerShepherd University
Robert DuvallIT Company
Elizabeth YoungLewis and Clark College
Ryan KudasikShippensburg University of Pennsylvania
Susan MillsUniversity of Texas System - Rio Grande Valley
Emily PerrittNorthwestern State University of Louisiana
Jason WagnerUniversity of Rochester
Laura ShraderState University of New York System - College at Fredonia
Lauren NeimeyerUniversity of Maryland System - College Park
Janice PostonBellarmine College
Alexandria McNierNorth Greenville College
Dave BasenerElmhurst College
Amy NeavesNorth Carolina State University
Tracy MooreWestern University of Health Sciences
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
- University of Alaska board votes down plan for consolidating system's accreditation ihenow.com/2P0BZK5 https://t.co/HY73HpDQdJ, photo: pic.twitter.com/HY73HpDQdJ2 hours ago | insidehighered
- Books make great holiday gifts. Please consider giving these titles tor the educator(s) in your life. (opinion)… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | insidehighered
- Take math learning outside with this step-by-step guide to creating a STEM tour.
edutopia.org/article/using-…5 hours ago | edutopia
- RT @lauraelee: Sometimes the cost and logistics of museum field trips can be prohibitive for schools. What if, instead of taking kids to a…5 hours ago | edutopia
- St. Thomas will layoff 30 professors ihenow.com/2RCGCvF https://t.co/OyDMpk3TFu, photo: pic.twitter.com/OyDMpk3TFu5 hours ago | insidehighered
- Use the bookshelf audit bingo card from @KFishmanWeaver to spark conversations, making reading a social activity.
edutopia.org/article/how-au…7 hours ago | edutopia
- "It is a big deal to be vanished in this manner. It means that in the way the democracy is being imagined, you don’… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…7 hours ago | insidehighered
- Yale receives $100 million gift to fund public school leadership ihenow.com/2Pe2Cd6 https://t.co/8FajDiJSl0, photo: pic.twitter.com/8FajDiJSl09 hours ago | insidehighered
- RT @NoraFleming1: Research finds that girls underperform boys on multiple choice tests, but do better on questions with open-ended answers.…9 hours ago | edutopia
- From entry and exit slips to interview assessments, it’s important to keep formative assessments simple.
edutopia.org/article/7-smar…9 hours ago | edutopia
Pedagogy on the Web
UW System expands opportunities for adult learners
Dec 06, 2019 03:48 PM PST
Approaches to Teaching Information Literacy - Prog - CILIP
Dec 06, 2019 02:14 PM PST
15 Creative Online Classes to Spark Your Imagination This Month (December 2019)
Dec 06, 2019 01:56 PM PST
US Equestrian Announces Updated Selection Structure for 2020 USEF Eventing 25 Program
Dec 06, 2019 01:11 PM PST
Charter Oak State College Spring Semester Online Classes Begin January 21
Dec 06, 2019 03:26 AM PST
New informative study on Higher Education Active Learning Platform Market | Major Players ...
Dec 06, 2019 12:47 AM PST
Assistance during first years of biology major leads to higher retention of first-gen students
Dec 05, 2019 01:11 PM PST