Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
Explore SEL (Social and Emotional Learning)
Navigate the complex field of social and emotional learning. We provide information and tools that summarize and connect...
10 Tips for Designing an Online Learning System
This special report introduces learning contracts to increase motivation and self-direction while providing ways to...
Weebly for Education
Weebly is perfect for creating classroom websites, student e-portfolios, and websites for assigned projects. Our drag &...
Voki is a fun tool that students can use for homework, classwork or projects. They can customize their appearance and...
Chatting Digital Engagement and Community Building in Online Learning
As a digital storyteller, Erica Hargreave talks about the importance of engaging community in online learning. At this...
www.office.com/setup | Enter Office Setup Key | Office Setup
www.office.com/setup - Get started to install, download, Step 1. Go to office.com/setup - Sign in, 2nd. Enter product...
25 Strategies to Prevent Plagiarism
A practical 1-page handout to help faculty and teaching assistants learn how to prevent plagiarism in student work. This...
15 Strategies to Detect Contract Cheating
Practical, evidence-based 2-page handout to help faculty learn how to identify contract cheating (e.g., academic work...
Open Scholarship Knowledge Base
The Open Scholarship Knowledge Base contains resources created, curated, and contributed by the Open Scholarship...
Transform Your Students’ Online Learning Environment with Resources, Apps, and Games
This is a resource offered by Faculty Focus that provides a number of ideas from faculty to help engage students in the...
Pedagogies of Care: Open Resources for Student-Centered & Adaptive Strategies in the New Higher Ed Landscape
Pedagogies of Care: Open Resources for Student-Centered & Adaptive Strategies in the New Higher-Ed Landscape offers...
User-friendly OER Course Design for Remote & Face-to-Face
This is an online presentation by CCCOER that includes slides as well as supplemental material. When faculty start using...
The Big List of Class Discussion Strategies
When I worked with student teachers on developing effective lesson plans, one thing I always asked them to revise was the...
Delivering High-Quality Instruction Online in Response to COVID-19
Delivering High-Quality Instruction Online in Response to COVID-19 is a faculty-focused playbook intended to improve...
Learning to Learn Online
Learning to Learn Online helps you prepare for online learning success by introducing you to the online learning...
Cultural Dimensions of Learning: Addressing the Challenges of Multicultural Instruction
This article explores research into cultural differences to identify those dimensions of culture that are most likely to...
Preparing Teachers and Learners for Online Instruction
In response to the COVID 19 pandemic and higher education (as well as K-12 education) moving to online instruction,...
Our 6 Favorite Flipped Classroom Resources
If you’re a teacher, you’re already well aware that a wave of technology has infiltrated nearly every classroom. Flipped...
20 engaging flipped learning apps for in the flipped classroom
This digital age makes it more and more possible to flip the classroom. Today, almost 50% of households worldwide own a...
The Flipped Classroom Guide for Teachers - eLearning Industry
The Flipped Classroom Guide for Teachers: How Does a Flipped Classroom Contribute to Student Learning? Flipped Learning.
A Beginner's Guide to Flipped Classroom
Learn how to define the flipped classroom, the differences between flipped classroom vs. flipped learning, and more in...
Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching Guides
The CFT has prepared guides to a variety of teaching topics with summaries of best practices, links to other online...
Want to Reach All of Your Students? Here’s How to Make Your Teaching More Inclusive (Advice Guide)
An easy to read guide covering a variety of ways to make your teaching more inclusive. Topics covered include: Common...
Getting Under the Hood: How and for Whom Does Increasing Course Structure Work?
In this study, the authors disaggregated student data by racial/ethnic groups and first-generation status to identify...
New Pedagogy Members
Rafael SantosAcadian Campus, Crowley
tajaxo sfddfsCentral Institute of Technology
Catherine SullivanGNB - WorkingNB
Jessica BynumMiles College
Tonya WaycasterUniversity of North Carolina System
Albert UnrathDelaware TechnicalandCommunity/Technical College
Faustino HernandezCo-op NFUCA
Aluri Sai PadmaBhavan's Vivekananda college
Brent PierceDaytona Beach Community/Technical College
Jeremy JungbluthUniversity at Buffalo
Jennifer FordUC San Diego
Rachel RGeorgia Highlands College
Amber GordonDelaware State University
Eartha JohnsonDillard University
Robert AdamsLoras College
Johan GeertsemaNational University of Singapore
Jay StocksladerUniversity at Buffalo
Jenn WicksCollege of the North Atlantic
Rebecca CorwinBeaumont Health
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
- When researchers studying project-based learning in science saw students beginning to read more as a result of thei… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…36 minutes ago | edutopia
- Black students trust college leadership significantly less than their white peers bit.ly/2NGNN6g1 hour ago | insidehighered
- Seymour Papert, renowned mathematician and computer scientist, was born on February 29, 1928. A pioneer in using te… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | edutopia
- ACT says test-optional admissions policies are here to stay bit.ly/3pXORjk3 hours ago | insidehighered
- Do your students tend to get a little lost in the middle of a project? These tips from Superintendent @mmcdowell13… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…11 hours ago | edutopia
- Here are some lesson ideas on 4 Black philosophers who have made an impact on how we perceive and understand the wo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…13 hours ago | edutopia
- “Even though some students look as though they go through a magical and seamless transition from non-reader to read… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…14 hours ago | edutopia
- New guidelines from Pearson aim to dismantle systemic racism in higher ed. Do they go far enough? bit.ly/2O4bUvC16 hours ago | insidehighered
- When teachers are given time to work closely with other teachers, and have achievable goals—school culture thrives.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…16 hours ago | edutopia
- ICYMI: Pacific University professor who made controversial comments about gender says he was told to quit or he'd b… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…18 hours ago | insidehighered
Pedagogy on the Web
JNU To Reopen For Third Year Science PhD Students Tomorrow
Feb 28, 2021 05:17 AM PST
Students discuss pros and cons of online education
Feb 28, 2021 04:22 AM PST
Global Higher Education Active Learning Platform Market: Driving Factors, Market Analysis ...
Feb 27, 2021 11:52 PM PST
This iso fitness trend is settling into Ballarat homes
Feb 27, 2021 10:07 PM PST
Global and Japan Higher Education Active Learning Platform Market Expected to Reach Top ...
Feb 27, 2021 09:26 PM PST
Ole Miss students react to plans for full in-person classes in the fall
Feb 27, 2021 09:15 PM PST
Coaching and mental well-being
Feb 27, 2021 09:03 PM PST
6 of the best Python courses for aspiring programmers
Feb 27, 2021 08:52 PM PST
COVID-19 pushes 1300 Japanese university students to drop out
Feb 27, 2021 08:29 PM PST
Tik Tok fun way to teach English
Feb 27, 2021 06:26 PM PST
Eugene YMCA set to offer more indoor activities under new risk level
Feb 27, 2021 05:52 PM PST
Lorain County JVS offers a bevy of different programs for adult learners
Feb 27, 2021 12:04 PM PST
Active Learning: From Flipped Lectures to the Covid-19 Era
Feb 27, 2021 09:56 AM PST
Amid online classes, schools devise digital detox routine
Feb 27, 2021 09:03 AM PST
COVID-19 Causes 1300 School Dropouts in Japan
Feb 27, 2021 04:22 AM PST
Zoom classes from Victoria Academy of Dance during lockdown
Feb 27, 2021 04:00 AM PST
Sabah needs a holistic mechanism
Feb 26, 2021 11:07 PM PST
Work from home leading to eye, hearing issues: G'gram docs
Feb 26, 2021 01:11 AM PST
Yoga Class Management Software Market: Development Factors and Investment Analysis by ...
Feb 25, 2021 10:33 AM PST