Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
UBC Curriculum MAP
This resource enables faculty to support curriculum mapping, analysis, and planning. This customizable online tool is a...
Curriculum MAP: Demo for Instructors and Professionals in Higher Ed
UBC Okanagan recently launched a website to support curriculum mapping, analysis, and planning at the course and program...
The First Day of Class: A Once-a-Semester Opportunit
There’s only one first day of class. Here are some ideas for taking advantage of opportunities that are not available on...
Enhancing Student Engagement with Course Materials through Digital Social Reading
Over a decade of research about social annotation in higher education demonstrates that students who share digital...
Toward a Critical Instructional Design
These chapters challenge current common practices and assumptions in online education, while also challenging our...
Designing for Care
Imagining better pedagogies is the first step in creating powerful learning environments. Better, for the authors of this...
The Role of Higher Education in Times of Crisis: Healing Strategies for Educators
Colleges and universities have a long-standing role in advancing civil discourse. How can we lead our communities in a...
“Help! I’m Moving My Course Online!”- Practical Advice for New Online Instructors
Do you need to rapidly transition to online instruction? Can’t afford the trial and error approach? This free Magna...
Engaging College Students Using Active Learning Techniques
Discover strategies for engaging college students at a deeper, more cognitive level with active learning. Get more info...
The Value of Play in HigherEd
This is for you, if you are someone wanting to find out more about the use and value of play in higher education (HE)....
Ethical Use of Technology in Digital Learning Environments: Graduate Student Perspectives
Leading and Learning in a Digital Age (also referred to as the digital age program) is a four-course graduate certificate...
How Do You Grade a Creative Assignment?
Start small when thinking about ways to help students unlearn a more transactional approach to learning. Give them ample...
Teaching as Online Adjunct Faculty: Practical Resources for Instruction - Every Learner Everywhere
Faculty development and instructional support are important aspects for ensuring that online adjunct faculty have the...
7 Things You Should Know About Learning Engineering
Sitting at the confluence of learning science, learning technology, and instructional design, learning engineering can be...
7 Things You Should Know About Digital Badges
Digital badges are validated indicators of skills or competencies, often representing the completion of a...
7 Things You Should Know About Virtual Labs
Virtual labs are interactive, digital simulations of activities that typically take place in physical laboratory...
7 Things You Should Know About Podcasting
In its most basic sense, a podcast is an audio file. Some contend that the term should be reserved for serialized content...
7 Things You Should Know About Teaching and Learning with Video
When the pandemic suspended most in-person learning, colleges and universities turned to video technologies as one of...
Active Bystander Intervention: Training and Facilitation Guide
A workshop and facilitation guide to support B.C. post-secondary institutions to prevent and respond to sexual violence...
100 Ideas for Active Learning
100 Ideas for Active Learning is a practical handbook to inspire innovative educational experiences. It is for educators...
In the nexus of integrity and surveillance: Proctoring (re)considered
This article maps considerations of online proctoring solutions in the nexus between ensuring academic and institutional...
Preparing for a More Inclusive Course
We’re glad you’re here and are interested in how education could be made more inclusive. In this introduction, you’ll...
Classroom Observation Protocols & Teaching Inventories
A variety of published tools can assist instructors when assessing their teaching practices. Many such tools, including...
Ten Online Course Structural Components to Support Learning
Online courses can be examined from two perspectives—what students do in the course and how a professor structures the...
New Pedagogy Members
Gustavo CamposCalifornia State University, Fullerton
April HudsonBethune-Cookman University
Bryce BattistiOlympic College
Joseph PetersUniversity of Hawaii System - Manoa
Lisa LarsonMitchell Technical Institute
Elizabeth DeVitaPittsburgh Technical Institute
Yammie DaudBukidnon State University
Irene StewartSt. Clair College of Applied Arts and Technology
Darko PantelicJönköping University
Valary OleinikValary Oleinik
Bruce HarrisUtah Tech University
Kristilyn MosesECPI College of Technology
Denise JaffeLandmark College
Emma Duke-WilliamsUniversity of Dundee
Matthew SmithdealUniversity of British Columbia
Francis ObmergaFar Eastern University
Heather UlrichFairfield University
Cynthia BrisseyWest Virginia Wesleyan College
Cynthia MedinaCitrus Health Network, Inc.
Renee ShafferUniversity of South Carolina System - Columbia
Sankaranarayanan K BBharathiar University
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
edutopia.org/article/extend…1 hour ago | edutopia
- RT @WCHS_English: Using inspiration from @ShanaVWhite edutopia.org/video/explorin… as we read Girl in Translation and talk about our public selv…2 hours ago | edutopia
- RT @BeckyEdu: Challenging to grade creative assignments like #podcasts? LOVE single-point rubrics & was inspired by
@edutopia & @cultofped…3 hours ago | edutopia
- What did you think of physical education when you were in high school?
edutopia.org/article/how-sc…3 hours ago | edutopia
- Opinion | The paucity of data on leaders with disabilities suggests that few people are even thinking about this cr… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | insidehighered
- Opinion | On Creativity: "Yes, and" to Deborah Cohan's column. #HigherEd #AcademicTwitter bit.ly/3CbxDrY https://t.co/oPt7Z2sPO8, photo: pic.twitter.com/oPt7Z2sPO84 hours ago | insidehighered
- Join #HHW Director Kaci Roach to discuss inclusive pathways for #training & #education for underrepresented Ss & me… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- .@TheJusticeDept announced plans Thursday to award almost $22 million in grants to prevent sexual and domestic viol… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | insidehighered
- See how teachers can use simple and familiar games that directly connect to daily reading lessons so that students… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | edutopia
- The state of Florida, in responding to a lawsuit, asserted that it has near total control of the curriculum at publ… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | insidehighered
Pedagogy on the Web
For schools or nursing homes in need, Porkchop the therapy pig is here to save the day
Sep 26, 2022 03:00 AM PDT
DepEd reiterates new class suspension guidelines in times of calamities - Yahoo News
Sep 25, 2022 10:20 PM PDT
Pitch: Should primary school-aged kids learn about entrepreneurship? - Newsmaker
Sep 25, 2022 09:22 PM PDT
Augusta-based education program to offer online classes in October - CentralMaine.com
Sep 25, 2022 09:02 PM PDT
Incidents of Student Infringement of Teachers' Rights Double: Data | Be Korea-savvy
Sep 25, 2022 06:14 PM PDT
How data from digital learning tools can refine teaching - Times Higher Education (THE)
Sep 25, 2022 05:22 PM PDT
Classes in all levels suspended in Baguio, Benguet, La Union on Sept. 26 - Manila Bulletin
Sep 25, 2022 04:59 PM PDT
Gujarat: About 15,000 pvt schools stop online classes after govt's 'no fee' order
Sep 24, 2022 11:02 PM PDT