Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
User-friendly OER Course Design for Remote & Face-to-Face
This is an online presentation by CCCOER that includes slides as well as supplemental material. When faculty start using...
The Big List of Class Discussion Strategies
When I worked with student teachers on developing effective lesson plans, one thing I always asked them to revise was the...
Delivering High-Quality Instruction Online in Response to COVID-19
Delivering High-Quality Instruction Online in Response to COVID-19 is a faculty-focused playbook intended to improve...
Learning to Learn Online
Learning to Learn Online helps you prepare for online learning success by introducing you to the online learning...
Cultural Dimensions of Learning: Addressing the Challenges of Multicultural Instruction
This article explores research into cultural differences to identify those dimensions of culture that are most likely to...
Preparing Teachers and Learners for Online Instruction
In response to the COVID 19 pandemic and higher education (as well as K-12 education) moving to online instruction,...
Our 6 Favorite Flipped Classroom Resources
If you’re a teacher, you’re already well aware that a wave of technology has infiltrated nearly every classroom. Flipped...
20 engaging flipped learning apps for in the flipped classroom
This digital age makes it more and more possible to flip the classroom. Today, almost 50% of households worldwide own a...
The Flipped Classroom Guide for Teachers - eLearning Industry
The Flipped Classroom Guide for Teachers: How Does a Flipped Classroom Contribute to Student Learning? Flipped Learning.
A Beginner's Guide to Flipped Classroom
Learn how to define the flipped classroom, the differences between flipped classroom vs. flipped learning, and more in...
Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching Guides
The CFT has prepared guides to a variety of teaching topics with summaries of best practices, links to other online...
Want to Reach All of Your Students? Here’s How to Make Your Teaching More Inclusive (Advice Guide)
An easy to read guide covering a variety of ways to make your teaching more inclusive. Topics covered include: Common...
Getting Under the Hood: How and for Whom Does Increasing Course Structure Work?
In this study, the authors disaggregated student data by racial/ethnic groups and first-generation status to identify...
Structure Matters: Twenty-One Teaching Strategies to Promote Student Engagement and Cultivate Classroom Equity
A host of simple teaching strategies—referred to as “equitable teaching strategies” and rooted in research on...
The authors describe an online, evidence-based teaching guide meant to serve as a resource for science faculty as they...
5 tools to create an engaging online course
An educator shares her go-to tools for engaging college students in an online course--learn why these tools can help...
The K. Patricia Cross Academy
We offer free instructional videos and downloadable resources to help educators with improving students' learning as well...
Foundations in Learner-Centered Design
This open mini-course provides a hands-on, team-based introduction to learner-centered design. Through an exploration of...
Programmed Learning often called Programmed Instruction paved the way for learner-centred and self-paced learning. It is...
Assessment That Matters: Trending Toward Practices That Document Authentic Student Learning
Following up on its 2009 and 2014 surveys of chief academic officers, the National Institute for Learning Outcomes...
Assessment: The Bridge between Teaching and Learning
This brief article addresses the role that assessment plays in determining the degree of student achievement. As the...
Toward Better Teaching: Office Hours With Bonni Stachowiak
A new school year is just around the corner. And that has many higher-ed instructors thinking about ways they could...
Image Repositories on the Web for Teaching Astronomy
This guide lists and reviews 61 web sites with catalogs of astronomical images that are useful for both formal and...
Exploring New Models with Blended and Flipped Learning
Despite its growing popularity, defining blended learning and flipped learning is more difficult than one would expect....
New Pedagogy Members
Robert AdamsLoras College
Johan GeertsemaNational University of Singapore
Jay StocksladerUniversity at Buffalo
Jenn WicksCollege of the North Atlantic
Rebecca CorwinBeaumont Health
Terri BurtonGeorgian College of Applied Arts and Technology
Nick BennettSyracuse University
Wendy HancockCity College
Eric FournierWashington University,Saint Louis
Louanne BergmanSoutheastern Louisiana University
Alma MezaRenton Technical College
Elmien Van AmeromUniversity of Pretoria
Justin IbleSelkirk College
Joel WilliamsSan Jose College Preparatory High School
Steve HoekstraKansas Wesleyan University
Hertencia BoweBowe Academic Consulting
Pamela DoughertyCalifornia Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
Kinsey BullockAnglia Ruskin University
Fan YangMount St. Joseph University
Cheryl FulghumHaywood Community/Technical College
Diane SudmanTexas A and M University System
Laurie MilesUniversity of North Carolina System - Asheville
Adam MakslIndiana University System
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
- For young children, there is nothing that drives learning more than play.
edutopia.org/article/emphas…1 hour ago | edutopia
- The biggest higher ed story of 2020 is the development of online degrees at scale (opinion) bit.ly/3gFJP6J https://t.co/0PIwa7iT4b, photo: pic.twitter.com/0PIwa7iT4b2 hours ago | insidehighered
- Building social inclusion doesn’t need to be a big endeavor, something as simple as students with and without disab… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | edutopia
- UC system picks Dr. Michael Drake as its next president bit.ly/3eeIFgO https://t.co/4130mhfpO1, photo: pic.twitter.com/4130mhfpO14 hours ago | insidehighered
- "I was thrown by the new federal rule about international students and online classes because I was never trained a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | insidehighered
- How do you mentor a new teacher during the pandemic? From making a schedule to taking advantage of the reciprocal r… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | edutopia
- Survey of students during COVID-19 found that many are dealing with lost income, housing disruption and uncertainty… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…7 hours ago | insidehighered
- BREAKING: Ivy League will not play fall sports in 2020 bit.ly/38BrhBU8 hours ago | insidehighered
- Turning a history lesson into a student-made podcast can make the material more interesting and engaging.
edutopia.org/article/using-…8 hours ago | edutopia
- TRENDING: Colleges need a language shift, but not the one you think (opinion) bit.ly/2ZbrrN89 hours ago | insidehighered
Pedagogy on the Web
US order on foreign students taking online classes likely to cause difficulties for Indians: Embassy
Jul 08, 2020 08:11 PM PDT
Go online but don't go overboard — how Karnataka panel wants govt to regulate classes
Jul 08, 2020 06:52 PM PDT
TN 12th Results 2020 after students take pending papers, Online classes in Schools after July 13 ...
Jul 08, 2020 06:07 PM PDT
Kerala govt enables access to online classes for 2.42 lakh students
Jul 08, 2020 05:22 PM PDT
Saint Louis University president to international students: 'You are always welcome at SLU'
Jul 08, 2020 04:48 PM PDT
Mumbai colleges grapple with online classes
Jul 08, 2020 04:35 PM PDT
New federal government policy bans international students from taking only online classes this fall
Jul 08, 2020 04:26 PM PDT
Colleges hope to use in-person, hybrid classes to prevent student deportation
Jul 08, 2020 04:24 PM PDT
ICE rule for online classes puts international students' visas in question
Jul 08, 2020 04:15 PM PDT
NC law: No online classes for K-12 students for the first week of school
Jul 08, 2020 04:02 PM PDT
Karnataka HC stays govt ban on online classes; says it violates Fundamental Right to Education
Jul 08, 2020 03:50 PM PDT
Redlands Art Association offers online classes for kids
Jul 08, 2020 03:40 PM PDT
'Looming threat': NC colleges and foreign students fear online classes mean deportation
Jul 08, 2020 02:45 PM PDT
Missouri Schools Opt For Hybrid Classes
Jul 08, 2020 02:33 PM PDT
STEM faculty: Apply to participate in the Active Learning Academy
Jul 08, 2020 02:11 PM PDT
In Bay Area, ICE order over online classes rattles thousands of international college students
Jul 08, 2020 01:52 PM PDT
Coronavirus puts information literacy in curriculum spotlight
Jul 08, 2020 01:03 PM PDT
Gov. Evers: Wisconsin schools that offer online classes won't be failing this fall
Jul 08, 2020 12:41 PM PDT