Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
Cultural Dimensions of Learning: Addressing the Challenges of Multicultural Instruction
This article explores research into cultural differences to identify those dimensions of culture that are most likely to...
Preparing Teachers and Learners for Online Instruction
In response to the COVID 19 pandemic and higher education (as well as K-12 education) moving to online instruction,...
Our 6 Favorite Flipped Classroom Resources
If you’re a teacher, you’re already well aware that a wave of technology has infiltrated nearly every classroom. Flipped...
20 engaging flipped learning apps for in the flipped classroom
This digital age makes it more and more possible to flip the classroom. Today, almost 50% of households worldwide own a...
The Flipped Classroom Guide for Teachers - eLearning Industry
The Flipped Classroom Guide for Teachers: How Does a Flipped Classroom Contribute to Student Learning? Flipped Learning.
A Beginner's Guide to Flipped Classroom
Learn how to define the flipped classroom, the differences between flipped classroom vs. flipped learning, and more in...
Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching Guides
The CFT has prepared guides to a variety of teaching topics with summaries of best practices, links to other online...
Want to Reach All of Your Students? Here’s How to Make Your Teaching More Inclusive (Advice Guide)
An easy to read guide covering a variety of ways to make your teaching more inclusive. Topics covered include: Common...
Getting Under the Hood: How and for Whom Does Increasing Course Structure Work?
In this study, the authors disaggregated student data by racial/ethnic groups and first-generation status to identify...
Structure Matters: Twenty-One Teaching Strategies to Promote Student Engagement and Cultivate Classroom Equity
A host of simple teaching strategies—referred to as “equitable teaching strategies” and rooted in research on...
The authors describe an online, evidence-based teaching guide meant to serve as a resource for science faculty as they...
5 tools to create an engaging online course
An educator shares her go-to tools for engaging college students in an online course--learn why these tools can help...
The K. Patricia Cross Academy
We offer free instructional videos and downloadable resources to help educators with improving students' learning as well...
Foundations in Learner-Centered Design
This open mini-course provides a hands-on, team-based introduction to learner-centered design. Through an exploration of...
Programmed Learning often called Programmed Instruction paved the way for learner-centred and self-paced learning. It is...
Assessment That Matters: Trending Toward Practices That Document Authentic Student Learning
Following up on its 2009 and 2014 surveys of chief academic officers, the National Institute for Learning Outcomes...
Assessment: The Bridge between Teaching and Learning
This brief article addresses the role that assessment plays in determining the degree of student achievement. As the...
Toward Better Teaching: Office Hours With Bonni Stachowiak
A new school year is just around the corner. And that has many higher-ed instructors thinking about ways they could...
Image Repositories on the Web for Teaching Astronomy
This guide lists and reviews 61 web sites with catalogs of astronomical images that are useful for both formal and...
Exploring New Models with Blended and Flipped Learning
Despite its growing popularity, defining blended learning and flipped learning is more difficult than one would expect....
Examples and Tips on How to Write a Teaching Philosophy Statement
For most educators, writing a philosophy of teaching statement is a daunting, even unpleasant, task. Sure they can...
10 Effective Classroom Management Techniques Every Faculty Member Should Know
10 Effective Classroom Management Techniques Every Faculty Member Should Know features 10 different approaches to...
Back to School: First Day of Class Strategies
There’s no discounting the importance of the first day of class. What happens that day sets the tone for the rest of the...
Syllabus Infographic PowerPoint Templates
The Cambrian College Teaching & Learning Innovation Hub has created a series of syllabus templates designed as...
New Pedagogy Members
Joel WilliamsSan Jose College Preparatory High School
Steve HoekstraKansas Wesleyan University
Hertencia BoweBowe Academic Consulting
Pamela DoughertyCalifornia Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
Kinsey BullockAnglia Ruskin University
Fan YangMount St. Joseph University
Cheryl FulghumHaywood Community/Technical College
Diane SudmanTexas A and M University System
Laurie MilesUniversity of North Carolina System - Asheville
Adam MakslIndiana University System
Kate SierraTexas Wesleyan University
Jen HuttonCalifornia Institute of the Arts
Melissa HillMitchell Community/Technical College
Diane MillerPima Community/Technical College
Anna KinneyUniversity of North Dakota
Shannon CastleNorthwestern University
Cambrian College Teaching & Learning Innovation HubCambrian College of Applied Arts and Technology
Carrie MillerMinnesota State University, Mankato
Laura RenningerShepherd University
Robert DuvallIT Company
Elizabeth YoungLewis and Clark College
Ryan KudasikShippensburg University of Pennsylvania
Susan MillsUniversity of Texas System - Rio Grande Valley
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
- China postpones national college entrance exam, senators urge DeVos to wait on #TitleIX rule and more COVID-19 upda… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | insidehighered
- Who’s using Zoom right now? Check out this step-by-step guide for teachers.—via @WeAreTeachers
weareteachers.com/zoom-for-teach…1 hour ago | edutopia
- Amid the current chaos, it can’t hurt to put some optimistic energy into the future of your research by seeking a f… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | insidehighered
- Newberry College continues program that freezes tuition for incoming freshman bit.ly/2yoKw3z https://t.co/39g5B8YoZC, photo: pic.twitter.com/39g5B8YoZC3 hours ago | insidehighered
- “Teachers need to coach and mentor, but with grades, teachers turn into judges. I think we can show the unique abil… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | edutopia
- Do you have questions about how the COVID-19 pandemic is impacting higher education? Send them to covid19@insidehig… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | insidehighered
- 5 lessons from the past to help deal with the current financial crisis (opinion) bit.ly/39zh6MO5 hours ago | insidehighered
- Everything you need to know about higher ed and the coronavirus for Tuesday in one easy-to-read package bit.ly/3bGrlQY6 hours ago | insidehighered
- Teachers often aim to increase the rigor of learning tasks, but this veteran educator thinks cognitive demand—“sust… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | edutopia
- Opinion: "Honestly, Harvard. I would expect any competent medical school to understand what a pandemic is. I grade… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…7 hours ago | insidehighered
Pedagogy on the Web
CO students and teachers preparing for online classes
Mar 31, 2020 05:30 PM PDT
Music, architecture and arts students adjust to online classes
Mar 31, 2020 05:22 PM PDT
Do online classes count?
Mar 31, 2020 04:03 PM PDT
Sarasota County School District to Begin Online Classes on Wednesday, April 1
Mar 31, 2020 03:41 PM PDT
UT Austin may have online classes through the summer semester because of COVID-19
Mar 31, 2020 02:56 PM PDT
Coronavirus Update: Restaurant Owners Creating Take-Home Kits, Offering Online Classes To ...
Mar 31, 2020 01:37 PM PDT
Teachers and parents are coping with 'distance learning' by making memes, TikToks, and YouTube ...
Mar 31, 2020 01:37 PM PDT
SDSU President says online classes work for most but not all students
Mar 31, 2020 01:15 PM PDT
Coronavirus In Pittsburgh: PPS Teachers Are Preparing For Online Classes, But 41 Percent Of ...
Mar 31, 2020 12:51 PM PDT
Maharashtra Minister asks college professors to start online classes
Mar 31, 2020 12:07 PM PDT
FBI issues warning about 'hijacking' of online classes by intruders after schools report serious ...
Mar 31, 2020 11:54 AM PDT
Hudson Valley Writers Center Launches Online Classes and Readings
Mar 31, 2020 10:42 AM PDT
Learning at a distance: BCS teachers, students adjust to online classes
Mar 31, 2020 10:03 AM PDT
DACC begins online classes
Mar 31, 2020 09:41 AM PDT
Students provide input on empty campus, online classes
Mar 31, 2020 09:36 AM PDT
TAMIU transitions to online classes, closes campus to the public amid coronavirus pandemic
Mar 31, 2020 09:29 AM PDT
From Israeli politics to Moroccan Passover, online classes spring forth from HaMaqom
Mar 31, 2020 09:07 AM PDT
Students Conspire in Chats to 'Zoom-Bomb' Online Classes, Harass Teachers
Mar 31, 2020 09:04 AM PDT