Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
Course Instructional Design
New Pedagogy Materials
Online Instruction Resources for AUN TEPL
The Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) has a project titled ASEAN Univerity Network- Technology Enhanced...
IDEAS Framework for Teaching Online
The IDEAS (Inclusion, Design, Engagement, Evaluation, Assessment, and Support) Framework for online teaching and learning...
How to Use ChatGPT to Create Engaging Learning Experiences
During our conversation, Jason shares many creative and innovative ways to harness the power of ChatGPT so you can engage...
Chalk Radio is an MIT OpenCourseWare podcast about inspired teaching at MIT. We take you behind the scenes of some of the...
Formative Assessments for Online Learning
There are three types of assessments. A diagnostic assessment comes before learning, is ungraded, and measures prior...
9 Tips for Success as an Instructional Designer
While the explosive growth during 2020 should come as no surprise, the truth is that demand for online education has been...
Engaging Students Through Experiential Learning Inside the Classroom
Experiential learning in its many forms is widely recognized as a high-impact educational practice, one that has been...
Microlectures 101: What, Why, & How?
Traditional instructional videos are often long, address a variety of content, or lack meaningful opportunities for...
Advocating for Adjuncts
Advocacy for Adjuncts is essential for the well-being of the whole institution. Listen in as Teresa Focarile of Boise...
Using Case Studies to Develop Questioning Skills
Case studies have long been heralded as an impactful and critical pedagogical approach in college classrooms. Depending...
Introduction to Intellectual Property
Introduction to Intellectual Property provides a clear, effective introduction to patents, copyright, trademarks, and...
Quick Activities to Prepare and Maintain a Classroom of Care
As students, faculty, and staff figure out the “newish-normalish” of college learning during the age of COVID-19,...
When Learning Shifts Online
Explore our Learning Resources and tools as schools prepare to deliver content via remote learning. his is not our...
Tips for Online Teaching by HANDS in Autism®
While pandemic may be over, the need for virtual support of our students does not disappear. We have collected tips,...
A brief introduction to authentic learning using anthropological ethnography. This resource utilizes ethnographic case...
How to Make Your Lecture More Engaging and Interactive for Your Students
Lectures can be boring, without a doubt, but they don’t have to be. There are a variety of creative approaches for making...
UBC Curriculum MAP
This resource enables faculty to support curriculum mapping, analysis, and planning. This customizable online tool is a...
Curriculum MAP: Demo for Instructors and Professionals in Higher Ed
UBC Okanagan recently launched a website to support curriculum mapping, analysis, and planning at the course and program...
The First Day of Class: A Once-a-Semester Opportunit
There’s only one first day of class. Here are some ideas for taking advantage of opportunities that are not available on...
Enhancing Student Engagement with Course Materials through Digital Social Reading
Over a decade of research about social annotation in higher education demonstrates that students who share digital...
Toward a Critical Instructional Design
These chapters challenge current common practices and assumptions in online education, while also challenging our...
Designing for Care
Imagining better pedagogies is the first step in creating powerful learning environments. Better, for the authors of this...
The Role of Higher Education in Times of Crisis: Healing Strategies for Educators
Colleges and universities have a long-standing role in advancing civil discourse. How can we lead our communities in a...
“Help! I’m Moving My Course Online!”- Practical Advice for New Online Instructors
Do you need to rapidly transition to online instruction? Can’t afford the trial and error approach? This free Magna...
New Pedagogy Members
Maria AceitunoNorth Orange County Community/Technical College District
Shayne TrainUniversity of Toronto
Autumn RichardsonHeritage Christian University
Jason McGensyCalifornia State University, Fresno
Sasha WhiteUniversity College of the North
Jonathan EastmanColumbia College of Missouri
Shanna HollichGuthrie Memorial Library
Cathleen CuppettCoker College
Deborah PfeiferNorth Central Kansas Technical College
Gustavo CamposCalifornia State University, Fullerton
April HudsonBethune-Cookman University
Bryce BattistiOlympic College
Joseph PetersUniversity of Hawaii System - Manoa
Lisa LarsonMitchell Technical Institute
Elizabeth DeVitaPittsburgh Technical Institute
Yammie DaudBukidnon State University
Irene StewartSt. Clair College of Applied Arts and Technology
Darko PantelicJönköping University
Valary OleinikValary Oleinik
Bruce HarrisUtah Tech University
Kristilyn MosesECPI College of Technology
Denise JaffeLandmark College
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
Pedagogy on the Web
When online classes head outdoors | Canyoncourier.com
Jun 01, 2023 04:25 PM PDT
Some private schools decide to conduct online classes during the extended summer vacation
Jun 01, 2023 04:18 PM PDT
Faulkner University News – Challenges to Online Student Success
Jun 01, 2023 10:52 AM PDT
Online Courses : IU Southeast
Jun 01, 2023 10:31 AM PDT
Tinubu urged to declare assets publicly - Daily Trust
Jun 01, 2023 08:17 AM PDT
International students asked to return to campus for fall 2023 - El Camino College The Union
Jun 01, 2023 02:23 AM PDT
Your online college course may be run by a for-profit company. How to spot the difference.
Jun 01, 2023 02:11 AM PDT
Page 10 for June 1, 2023 | Press Enterprise Online
Jun 01, 2023 12:11 AM PDT
VR Interactive Safety Training Experience Simulation For Employees Announced
May 31, 2023 11:17 PM PDT
North Korean spy satellite crashes into the sea after failed launch - The Korea Herald
May 31, 2023 03:24 AM PDT