Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
Bias-free communication - Microsoft Style Guide
Microsoft technology reaches every part of the globe, so it's critical that all our communications are inclusive and...
Women of Color in Tech
This website features a collection of images of Women of Color in a variety of technical jobs.
The Gender Spectrum Collection: Stock Photos Beyond the Binary
Representing people of all identities responsibly is a core value for VICE. Over the years, as we have published stories...
The Open Learner Patchbook
This award-winning space is here to house the stories of how learners learn in higher ed. Below is a list to choose from...
The Open Faculty Patchbook
Fleming College faculty (and anyone else who’d like to add!) are building a community patchwork of ‘chapters’ into a...
Episode 8: Establishing and Revisiting Our Teaching Philosophies and Teaching Personas
Your teaching philosophy helps examine who are you as a teacher and examines what beliefs and values are at the heart of...
Assessing Online Student Learning: How You Can Gauge Activities and Writing Through Online Assessment
In the past year, many instructors worried that their online teaching presence might miss the in-person cues they picked...
Overcoming Student Distaste for Collaborative Group Work Online
How can you help students overcome their distaste for collaborative group work online (and also thereby change your view...
CNDLS: Inclusive Pedagogy Toolkit: Power
Teaching and learning takes place in a context shaped by power dynamics. Most obviously, only the teacher controls grades...
CNDLS: Inclusive Pedagogy Toolkit: Climate
The social environment in which students are learning, including the relationships between faculty and students and...
CNDLS: Inclusive Pedagogy Toolkit: Assessment
Assessment is a crucial part of any course; you need to know whether your students are learning what you set out for them...
CNDLS: Inclusive Pedagogy Toolkit: Content
Attending to the content of your course means analyzing your design choices regarding assignments, materials you share,...
CNDLS: Inclusive Pedagogy Toolkit: Pedagogy
Creating accessible and equitable learning experiences, experiences in which all of our students feel empowered to...
Telling Your Data Story Using Tableau Seminar | Data Science for All
The “Telling Your Data Story Using Tableau” seminar was created as part of the NSF-funded Data Science for All project...
Teaching Mistakes 101
This is a compilation of comments from instructors to help others. It will be useful for first-time instructors, but...
2021 EDUCAUSE Horizon Report® Teaching and Learning Edition
The COVID-19 pandemic has transformed the higher education landscape. Though it remains to be seen whether those...
HBCU AL$ Resource Center
With the essential support from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the California State University Long Beach...
INSYSTED pedagogical framework – Instructional booklet
This is the intellectual output 1 of the Erasmus+ INSYSTED project: an inspirational guide to foster soft and digital...
Here's a Quick Way to Instantly Have Closed Captions
Here's a great accessibility feature that enables closed captions for e-learning courses and videos that run through...
Teaching and Learning in the Time of COVID: The Student Perspective
This article describes findings from the Survey of Student Perceptions of Remote Teaching and Learning, which was...
Explore SEL (Social and Emotional Learning)
Navigate the complex field of social and emotional learning. We provide information and tools that summarize and connect...
10 Tips for Designing an Online Learning System
This special report introduces learning contracts to increase motivation and self-direction while providing ways to...
Weebly for Education
Weebly is perfect for creating classroom websites, student e-portfolios, and websites for assigned projects. Our drag &...
Voki is a fun tool that students can use for homework, classwork or projects. They can customize their appearance and...
New Pedagogy Members
Sankaranarayanan K BBharathiar University
Ellie DworakBoise State University
Steven KromanTexas International Education Consortium
Heather FarmakisTexas International Education Consortium
Catherine McCollumWMU Cooley Law School
Angela WhiteMorehouse College
EUGENIO RIVERADepartment of Education Taft National High School
Rafael SantosAcadian Campus, Crowley
tajaxo sfddfsCentral Institute of Technology
Catherine SullivanGNB - WorkingNB
Jessica BynumMiles College
Tonya WaycasterUniversity of North Carolina System
Albert UnrathDelaware TechnicalandCommunity/Technical College
Faustino HernandezCo-op NFUCA
Aluri Sai PadmaBhavan's Vivekananda college
Brent PierceDaytona Beach Community/Technical College
Jeremy JungbluthUniversity at Buffalo
Jennifer FordUC San Diego
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
- When one principal @JessicaCabeen spent a semester teaching during the pandemic, her eyes were opened to just how m… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | edutopia
- ICYMI: Dept. of Education releases new figures on student loans bit.ly/35nIBcF https://t.co/bwj0KwDKKF, photo: pic.twitter.com/bwj0KwDKKF7 hours ago | insidehighered
- Google’s virtual reality Tour Creator is winding down at the end of June, but there are lots of cool alternatives f… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…8 hours ago | edutopia
- Activities that get students physically involved in their science labs promote deeper learning—and provide a boost… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9 hours ago | edutopia
- What do you do when a student at home starts drinking an adult beverage during a virtual class? (opinion) bit.ly/3qb6rSz10 hours ago | insidehighered
- When a lesson uses multiple senses at once, it reinforces students’ strengths and improves their weaknesses.
edutopia.org/article/how-mu…11 hours ago | edutopia
- Got time for a 1-minute dance party? How about an indoor rainstorm? These brain breaks can help prime kids’ brains… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…13 hours ago | edutopia
- MacKenzie Scott gifts more than $2.73 billion to dozens of colleges that are broadening access to higher ed for und… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…14 hours ago | insidehighered
- Tenured professor offers 5 pieces of advice to junior faculty on how to not simply survive but also thrive as a pro… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…16 hours ago | insidehighered
- https://t.co/98J9V9Ug2X, photo: pic.twitter.com/98J9V9Ug2X17 hours ago | edutopia
Pedagogy on the Web
Back to School: Common Misconceptions for Adult Learners
Jun 20, 2021 11:56 PM PDT
Parenting in pandemic: Bond emotionally & don't be authoritative with kids, say experts
Jun 20, 2021 09:41 PM PDT
Some Thai students reject uniforms and standing for national flag during online classes
Jun 20, 2021 08:11 PM PDT
Man Holds Umbrella Over Daughter As She Attends Online Classes Amid Rain, Picture Wins Hearts
Jun 20, 2021 07:26 PM PDT
Yoga 'ray of hope' in fight against COVID-19, says Narendra Modi; launches M-Yoga mobile app
Jun 20, 2021 06:52 PM PDT
In U'Khand Village Without Network, Online Classes a Distant Dream
Jun 20, 2021 06:41 PM PDT
Government should rethink on reopening of schools
Jun 20, 2021 05:22 PM PDT
Yoga booming as a lucrative career option
Jun 20, 2021 04:15 PM PDT
A young football fan in search of artificial limb
Jun 20, 2021 02:01 PM PDT
Offering concession of 15% in tuition fee, for the duration online classes were offered, WFS ...
Jun 20, 2021 12:52 PM PDT
Friends, canteen food, youth fests: Ludhiana's college freshers say they have missed out on a lot
Jun 20, 2021 12:41 PM PDT
Pandemic Woes: Organistions join hands to reduce 'digital divide'
Jun 20, 2021 12:30 PM PDT
Hyderabad: Allow us to continue with online classes, say teachers
Jun 20, 2021 11:45 AM PDT
Bhopal: In violation of High Court order, private schools charging full fees, allege parents
Jun 20, 2021 11:19 AM PDT
How the Kota cookie crumbled due to Covid
Jun 20, 2021 11:19 AM PDT
Community classes begin in Ramban
Jun 20, 2021 10:48 AM PDT
Class Management Tools Market to showcase strong CAGR between 2025 and 2025
Jun 20, 2021 10:15 AM PDT
The challenges of online classes in children homes
Jun 20, 2021 10:03 AM PDT