Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
Want to Reach All of Your Students? Here’s How to Make Your Teaching More Inclusive (Advice Guide)
An easy to read guide covering a variety of ways to make your teaching more inclusive. Topics covered include: Common...
Getting Under the Hood: How and for Whom Does Increasing Course Structure Work?
In this study, the authors disaggregated student data by racial/ethnic groups and first-generation status to identify...
Structure Matters: Twenty-One Teaching Strategies to Promote Student Engagement and Cultivate Classroom Equity
A host of simple teaching strategies—referred to as “equitable teaching strategies” and rooted in research on...
The authors describe an online, evidence-based teaching guide meant to serve as a resource for science faculty as they...
5 tools to create an engaging online course
An educator shares her go-to tools for engaging college students in an online course--learn why these tools can help...
The K. Patricia Cross Academy
We offer free instructional videos and downloadable resources to help educators with improving students' learning as well...
Foundations in Learner-Centered Design
This open mini-course provides a hands-on, team-based introduction to learner-centered design. Through an exploration of...
Programmed Learning often called Programmed Instruction paved the way for learner-centred and self-paced learning. It is...
Assessment That Matters: Trending Toward Practices That Document Authentic Student Learning
Following up on its 2009 and 2014 surveys of chief academic officers, the National Institute for Learning Outcomes...
Assessment: The Bridge between Teaching and Learning
This brief article addresses the role that assessment plays in determining the degree of student achievement. As the...
Toward Better Teaching: Office Hours With Bonni Stachowiak
A new school year is just around the corner. And that has many higher-ed instructors thinking about ways they could...
Image Repositories on the Web for Teaching Astronomy
This guide lists and reviews 61 web sites with catalogs of astronomical images that are useful for both formal and...
Exploring New Models with Blended and Flipped Learning
Despite its growing popularity, defining blended learning and flipped learning is more difficult than one would expect....
Examples and Tips on How to Write a Teaching Philosophy Statement
For most educators, writing a philosophy of teaching statement is a daunting, even unpleasant, task. Sure they can...
10 Effective Classroom Management Techniques Every Faculty Member Should Know
10 Effective Classroom Management Techniques Every Faculty Member Should Know features 10 different approaches to...
Back to School: First Day of Class Strategies
There’s no discounting the importance of the first day of class. What happens that day sets the tone for the rest of the...
Syllabus Infographic PowerPoint Templates
The Cambrian College Teaching & Learning Innovation Hub has created a series of syllabus templates designed as...
Foundations of Learning and Instructional Design Technology
This book reflects a suggested strategy for teaching new graduate students in the LIDT field. First, the book begins with...
📚 MC Test Analysis
Many educators design multiple-choice question examination. How do we know that these tests are valid and reliable? How...
Module d'objectifs et de croissance
Ce module d’objectifs et de croissance aide les apprenants à prendre un meilleur contrôle de leur apprentissage en les...
Applications of LinkedIn Learning in Ontario's Post-Secondary Institutions
Each of the cases in this book reflects a range of approaches and perspectives of using video-based resources to increase...
Beyond The Lecture: Innovations in Teaching Canadian History
Beyond the Lecture is open access ebook which developed out of the enthusiasm, insight, and conversations that were...
Introduction - Driving Educational Change: Innovations in Action
Driving Educational Change: Innovations in Action was written as part of a graduate course on Learning Technologies...
Flipped Through Design
The term “Flipped Classroom” is one that has generated discussion around the world of education. Through this method of...
New Pedagogy Members
Pamela DoughertyCalifornia Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
Kinsey BullockAnglia Ruskin University
Fan YangMount St. Joseph University
Cheryl FulghumHaywood Community/Technical College
Diane SudmanTexas A and M University System
Laurie MilesUniversity of North Carolina System - Asheville
Adam MakslIndiana University System
Kate SierraTexas Wesleyan University
Jen HuttonCalifornia Institute of the Arts
Melissa HillMitchell Community/Technical College
Diane MillerPima Community/Technical College
Anna KinneyUniversity of North Dakota
Shannon CastleNorthwestern University
Cambrian College Teaching & Learning Innovation HubCambrian College of Applied Arts and Technology
Carrie MillerMinnesota State University, Mankato
Laura RenningerShepherd University
Robert DuvallIT Company
Elizabeth YoungLewis and Clark College
Ryan KudasikShippensburg University of Pennsylvania
Susan MillsUniversity of Texas System - Rio Grande Valley
Emily PerrittNorthwestern State University of Louisiana
Jason WagnerUniversity of Rochester
Laura ShraderState University of New York System - College at Fredonia
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
- Aging U.S. population poses long-term social risks to the fiscal stability of states bit.ly/2ThZpeJ https://t.co/EPVvBGBvmO, photo: pic.twitter.com/EPVvBGBvmO57 minutes ago | insidehighered
- I try to give these to my students every day:
- A chance
- A second chance
- Voi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | edutopia
- The answer to yesterday's #IHETriviaTuesday question is: Alexander Lucius Twilight, the first known African America… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | insidehighered
- Academe needs to expand options for working remotely and reconsider what counts as proximity (opinion) bit.ly/385p7bE2 hours ago | insidehighered
- Study: Medical students are mistreated based on their race, gender and sexual orientation bit.ly/39ZFMPo https://t.co/U84id06baW, photo: pic.twitter.com/U84id06baW3 hours ago | insidehighered
- “Students get to be creative, and since there are many different ways for them to answer the prompt, their thinking… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | edutopia
- JUST IN: Western accreditor will consider approving colleges outside its region -- the first regional accreditor to… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | insidehighered
- RT @voelkerc: Invitation to my NEW & OLD friends at #DLAC2020: Come join the community that believes Quality Matters. Growing & learning; m…4 hours ago | QMProgram
- FIU Online programs continue to achieve top rankings | FIU News - Florida International University news.fiu.edu/2020/fiu-onlin…4 hours ago | QMProgram
- The increasingly dynamic labor market requires a much more deliberate emphasis on the soft skills colleges claim to… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | insidehighered
Pedagogy on the Web
Carter compares faculty to Anne Frank
Feb 26, 2020 01:00 PM PST
Smart Space coming together at Redfield Carnegie Library
Feb 26, 2020 10:00 AM PST
6 places to take free and affordable classes online, on everything from programming to photography
Feb 26, 2020 07:56 AM PST
Better late than never: Enroll in online classes now!
Feb 26, 2020 07:33 AM PST
Online Classes Save Startup Costs, Time
Feb 26, 2020 06:48 AM PST
Laurel Springs School and Minerva Project Launch Strategic Partnership
Feb 26, 2020 05:30 AM PST
Class Management Tools Market Analysis and Forecast to 2027 by Recent Trends, Developments ...
Feb 26, 2020 04:56 AM PST
Cumeath Takes Teacher-First Approach To Solve India's Maths Phobia
Feb 26, 2020 02:52 AM PST
When Embedding Devices Into Your Curriculum, Focus On Active Screen Time
Feb 26, 2020 02:30 AM PST
Higher Education Active Learning Platform Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Growth ...
Feb 26, 2020 01:33 AM PST
Feb 25, 2020 11:24 PM PST
UNESCO, coalition tackle hate speech, fake news via Nigeria's school curriculum
Feb 25, 2020 11:18 PM PST
Last chance to apply for the Adult Learners' Week 2020 Innovation Grant Fund
Feb 25, 2020 10:09 PM PST
Free Courses Available at Community Action's Adult Learning Center
Feb 25, 2020 08:52 PM PST
Guangdong Schools to Remain Closed, Online Classes Start March 2
Feb 25, 2020 07:56 PM PST
InStride partners with CUNY, Smart Horizons for employee education
Feb 25, 2020 10:22 AM PST
Yoga Class Management Software Market Outlook and 2025 Forecast Analysis by Applications ...
Feb 25, 2020 09:11 AM PST
Committment to Student Success
Feb 25, 2020 09:03 AM PST
Edutainment Market was Valued at US$ 2405.3 Mn in 2018 and is Expected to Reach US$ 9894.3 ...
Feb 25, 2020 04:56 AM PST