Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
25 Strategies to Prevent Plagiarism
A practical 1-page handout to help faculty and teaching assistants learn how to prevent plagiarism in student work. This...
15 Strategies to Detect Contract Cheating
Practical, evidence-based 2-page handout to help faculty learn how to identify contract cheating (e.g., academic work...
Open Scholarship Knowledge Base
The Open Scholarship Knowledge Base contains resources created, curated, and contributed by the Open Scholarship...
Transform Your Students’ Online Learning Environment with Resources, Apps, and Games
This is a resource offered by Faculty Focus that provides a number of ideas from faculty to help engage students in the...
Pedagogies of Care: Open Resources for Student-Centered & Adaptive Strategies in the New Higher Ed Landscape
Pedagogies of Care: Open Resources for Student-Centered & Adaptive Strategies in the New Higher-Ed Landscape offers...
User-friendly OER Course Design for Remote & Face-to-Face
This is an online presentation by CCCOER that includes slides as well as supplemental material. When faculty start using...
The Big List of Class Discussion Strategies
When I worked with student teachers on developing effective lesson plans, one thing I always asked them to revise was the...
Delivering High-Quality Instruction Online in Response to COVID-19
Delivering High-Quality Instruction Online in Response to COVID-19 is a faculty-focused playbook intended to improve...
Learning to Learn Online
Learning to Learn Online helps you prepare for online learning success by introducing you to the online learning...
Cultural Dimensions of Learning: Addressing the Challenges of Multicultural Instruction
This article explores research into cultural differences to identify those dimensions of culture that are most likely to...
Preparing Teachers and Learners for Online Instruction
In response to the COVID 19 pandemic and higher education (as well as K-12 education) moving to online instruction,...
Our 6 Favorite Flipped Classroom Resources
If you’re a teacher, you’re already well aware that a wave of technology has infiltrated nearly every classroom. Flipped...
20 engaging flipped learning apps for in the flipped classroom
This digital age makes it more and more possible to flip the classroom. Today, almost 50% of households worldwide own a...
The Flipped Classroom Guide for Teachers - eLearning Industry
The Flipped Classroom Guide for Teachers: How Does a Flipped Classroom Contribute to Student Learning? Flipped Learning.
A Beginner's Guide to Flipped Classroom
Learn how to define the flipped classroom, the differences between flipped classroom vs. flipped learning, and more in...
Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching Guides
The CFT has prepared guides to a variety of teaching topics with summaries of best practices, links to other online...
Want to Reach All of Your Students? Here’s How to Make Your Teaching More Inclusive (Advice Guide)
An easy to read guide covering a variety of ways to make your teaching more inclusive. Topics covered include: Common...
Getting Under the Hood: How and for Whom Does Increasing Course Structure Work?
In this study, the authors disaggregated student data by racial/ethnic groups and first-generation status to identify...
Structure Matters: Twenty-One Teaching Strategies to Promote Student Engagement and Cultivate Classroom Equity
A host of simple teaching strategies—referred to as “equitable teaching strategies” and rooted in research on...
The authors describe an online, evidence-based teaching guide meant to serve as a resource for science faculty as they...
5 tools to create an engaging online course
An educator shares her go-to tools for engaging college students in an online course--learn why these tools can help...
The K. Patricia Cross Academy
We offer free instructional videos and downloadable resources to help educators with improving students' learning as well...
Foundations in Learner-Centered Design
This open mini-course provides a hands-on, team-based introduction to learner-centered design. Through an exploration of...
Programmed Learning often called Programmed Instruction paved the way for learner-centred and self-paced learning. It is...
New Pedagogy Members
Jessica BynumMiles College
Tonya WaycasterUniversity of North Carolina System
Albert UnrathDelaware TechnicalandCommunity/Technical College
Faustino HernandezCo-op NFUCA
Aluri Sai PadmaBhavan's Vivekananda college
Brent PierceDaytona Beach Community/Technical College
Jeremy JungbluthUniversity at Buffalo
Jennifer FordUC San Diego
Rachel RGeorgia Highlands College
Amber GordonDelaware State University
Eartha JohnsonDillard University
Robert AdamsLoras College
Johan GeertsemaNational University of Singapore
Jay StocksladerUniversity at Buffalo
Jenn WicksCollege of the North Atlantic
Rebecca CorwinBeaumont Health
Terri BurtonGeorgian College of Applied Arts and Technology
Nick BennettSyracuse University
Wendy HancockCity College
Eric FournierWashington University,Saint Louis
Louanne BergmanSoutheastern Louisiana University
Alma MezaRenton Technical College
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
- ICYMI: University of South Florida reversed course on plans to eliminate undergraduate education programs… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | insidehighered
- When a teacher or student feels triggered, focusing on a physical activity like leaning into a wall can help reset… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | edutopia
- Top Story This Week: Professor placed on leave for controversial statements on COVID-19, the N-word, the atom bomb,… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | insidehighered
- If you have some downtime this long weekend, check out our podcast and hear candid conversations with higher ed new… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…22 hours ago | insidehighered
- "This Thanksgiving, I want to remember that it is not colleges and universities that educate and create knowledge.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- This year — and every year — we are thankful for all of you and the AMAZING work you do to deliver on your online p… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | QMProgram
- Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at Inside Higher Ed. We won't be publishing today or tomorrow, but we'll be back… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Today's Academic Minute explores how to measure the invisible force of gender bias bit.ly/2V4hkH0
- N.C. State investigates staff member accused of harassment and being a member of the Proud Boys… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Looking for silver linings during a tumultuous time (opinion) bit.ly/2V0Xsof https://t.co/aij7GvTSNh, photo: pic.twitter.com/aij7GvTSNh
Pedagogy on the Web
Kala Utsav to be conducted virtually
Nov 26, 2020 02:52 PM PST
Covid blow: 37% girls from poor families uncertain of returning to school
Nov 26, 2020 02:41 PM PST
WNC offers online and in-person winter college courses
Nov 26, 2020 02:07 PM PST
Audit found 'significant risks' in Baltimore County schools' computer network
Nov 26, 2020 01:22 PM PST
Pulse Cardiac Health offering free live online exercise sessions
Nov 26, 2020 11:18 AM PST
HEC rolls out plan for examinations, online classes, admissions
Nov 26, 2020 10:56 AM PST
Ten govt. schools get equipment to record online classes
Nov 26, 2020 10:33 AM PST
These Vancouver fitness studios are offering online classes
Nov 26, 2020 09:26 AM PST
Large Lectures Should Stay Online for Good, Says Top College Group
Nov 26, 2020 08:23 AM PST
Yoga Class Management Software Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the ...
Nov 26, 2020 06:21 AM PST
WhiteHat Jr's dream run until it became controversy's favourite child
Nov 26, 2020 01:00 AM PST
Crisis Response Team decides: Most students to switch to online schooling
Nov 26, 2020 12:48 AM PST
Not wise to send kids back to school, say teachers but experts push for graded reopening
Nov 25, 2020 10:33 PM PST
Children's rights being violated amid COVID-19, says UWI professor
Nov 25, 2020 09:03 PM PST
CBSE students, schools want ample time before exams begin
Nov 25, 2020 03:06 PM PST
Hillicon Valley: Cyberattack forces shutdown of Baltimore County schools for the day | Trump ...
Nov 25, 2020 02:18 PM PST
Higher educational institutions gear up for offline classes
Nov 25, 2020 10:40 AM PST