Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
INSYSTED pedagogical framework – Instructional booklet
This is the intellectual output 1 of the Erasmus+ INSYSTED project: an inspirational guide to foster soft and digital...
Here's a Quick Way to Instantly Have Closed Captions
Here's a great accessibility feature that enables closed captions for e-learning courses and videos that run through...
Teaching and Learning in the Time of COVID: The Student Perspective
This article describes findings from the Survey of Student Perceptions of Remote Teaching and Learning, which was...
Explore SEL (Social and Emotional Learning)
Navigate the complex field of social and emotional learning. We provide information and tools that summarize and connect...
10 Tips for Designing an Online Learning System
This special report introduces learning contracts to increase motivation and self-direction while providing ways to...
Weebly for Education
Weebly is perfect for creating classroom websites, student e-portfolios, and websites for assigned projects. Our drag &...
Voki is a fun tool that students can use for homework, classwork or projects. They can customize their appearance and...
Chatting Digital Engagement and Community Building in Online Learning
As a digital storyteller, Erica Hargreave talks about the importance of engaging community in online learning. At this...
www.office.com/setup | Enter Office Setup Key | Office Setup
www.office.com/setup - Get started to install, download, Step 1. Go to office.com/setup - Sign in, 2nd. Enter product...
25 Strategies to Prevent Plagiarism
A practical 1-page handout to help faculty and teaching assistants learn how to prevent plagiarism in student work. This...
15 Strategies to Detect Contract Cheating
Practical, evidence-based 2-page handout to help faculty learn how to identify contract cheating (e.g., academic work...
Open Scholarship Knowledge Base
The Open Scholarship Knowledge Base contains resources created, curated, and contributed by the Open Scholarship...
Transform Your Students’ Online Learning Environment with Resources, Apps, and Games
This is a resource offered by Faculty Focus that provides a number of ideas from faculty to help engage students in the...
Pedagogies of Care: Open Resources for Student-Centered & Adaptive Strategies in the New Higher Ed Landscape
Pedagogies of Care: Open Resources for Student-Centered & Adaptive Strategies in the New Higher-Ed Landscape offers...
User-friendly OER Course Design for Remote & Face-to-Face
This is an online presentation by CCCOER that includes slides as well as supplemental material. When faculty start using...
The Big List of Class Discussion Strategies
When I worked with student teachers on developing effective lesson plans, one thing I always asked them to revise was the...
Delivering High-Quality Instruction Online in Response to COVID-19
Delivering High-Quality Instruction Online in Response to COVID-19 is a faculty-focused playbook intended to improve...
Learning to Learn Online
Learning to Learn Online helps you prepare for online learning success by introducing you to the online learning...
Cultural Dimensions of Learning: Addressing the Challenges of Multicultural Instruction
This article explores research into cultural differences to identify those dimensions of culture that are most likely to...
Preparing Teachers and Learners for Online Instruction
In response to the COVID 19 pandemic and higher education (as well as K-12 education) moving to online instruction,...
Our 6 Favorite Flipped Classroom Resources
If you’re a teacher, you’re already well aware that a wave of technology has infiltrated nearly every classroom. Flipped...
20 engaging flipped learning apps for in the flipped classroom
This digital age makes it more and more possible to flip the classroom. Today, almost 50% of households worldwide own a...
The Flipped Classroom Guide for Teachers - eLearning Industry
The Flipped Classroom Guide for Teachers: How Does a Flipped Classroom Contribute to Student Learning? Flipped Learning.
A Beginner's Guide to Flipped Classroom
Learn how to define the flipped classroom, the differences between flipped classroom vs. flipped learning, and more in...
New Pedagogy Members
Steven KromanTexas International Education Consortium
Heather FarmakisTexas International Education Consortium
Catherine McCollumWMU Cooley Law School
EUGENIO RIVERADepartment of Education Taft National High School
Rafael SantosAcadian Campus, Crowley
tajaxo sfddfsCentral Institute of Technology
Catherine SullivanGNB - WorkingNB
Jessica BynumMiles College
Tonya WaycasterUniversity of North Carolina System
Albert UnrathDelaware TechnicalandCommunity/Technical College
Faustino HernandezCo-op NFUCA
Aluri Sai PadmaBhavan's Vivekananda college
Brent PierceDaytona Beach Community/Technical College
Jeremy JungbluthUniversity at Buffalo
Jennifer FordUC San Diego
Rachel RGeorgia Highlands College
Amber GordonDelaware State University
Eartha JohnsonDillard University
Robert AdamsLoras College
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
- Trey Falwell, the son of former Liberty president Jerry Falwell Jr., is no longer a vice president at the universit… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…24 minutes ago | insidehighered
- RT @K12QM: Please join us in congratulating @VirtualVirginia on its first #QMCertified course: English 11! #FridayFirsts https://t.co/WwBZa…50 minutes ago | QMProgram
- South Carolina private colleges are suing over a provision denying them public funding bit.ly/3sp5pC21 hour ago | insidehighered
- “Those who can write are better able to think critically and communicate effectively.” Social studies class offers… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | edutopia
- #FridayFirsts #QMCertified twitter.com/NCStateDELTA/s…1 hour ago | QMProgram
- University of Colorado refuses to pay cybercriminals a ransom of $17 million bit.ly/3uRFbd1 https://t.co/uAQMi9Ooxj, photo: pic.twitter.com/uAQMi9Ooxj1 hour ago | insidehighered
- Florida is poised to pass a bill allowing students to record classes for personal use -- and to complain about prof… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | insidehighered
- NCAA eliminating rule that requires some Division I athletes to sit out from sports after transferring… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | insidehighered
- The California Community College system had a 12% enrollment decline from fall 2019 to fall 2020 -- a loss of 186,6… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | insidehighered
- “These simulations are investigative style, meaning students actively engage in all levels of inquiry and manipulat… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…10 hours ago | edutopia
Pedagogy on the Web
Pay fee for survival of schools, PSAJK appeal to parents
Apr 16, 2021 06:18 AM PDT
Resolution to protect renters' rights offers relief to Texas families dealing with storm damage repair ...
Apr 16, 2021 06:07 AM PDT
Tampa Bay seniors isolated by pandemic find a virtual connection
Apr 16, 2021 05:22 AM PDT
Yoga Class Management Software Market: Size & Trends Shows a Rapid Growth by 2028 ...
Apr 16, 2021 03:18 AM PDT
Global Yoga Class Management Software Market is Set for Lucrative Growth During 2021–2025 ...
Apr 16, 2021 01:26 AM PDT
Increasing demand in education sector for online classes play crucial role for growth of digital ...
Apr 16, 2021 12:40 AM PDT
Best tablets for online classes
Apr 16, 2021 12:30 AM PDT
Student Senate's semester in review: Spring 2021
Apr 15, 2021 11:33 PM PDT
Online classes start in a private school of Hamirpur
Apr 15, 2021 11:00 PM PDT
Understanding how improved attention skills can help children get through their online classes
Apr 15, 2021 10:48 PM PDT
Adapting Group Activities for COVID to Ignite Student Engagement
Apr 15, 2021 10:25 PM PDT
Is it possible to make learning meaningful amid a pandemic?
Apr 15, 2021 10:15 PM PDT
Virtual international exchange needs a sharpening of practice
Apr 15, 2021 09:10 PM PDT
Stevens Doesn't Really Feel Like Re-Opening
Apr 15, 2021 09:05 PM PDT
Campbell's Corner: College freshmen need a better transition to in-person classes
Apr 15, 2021 08:11 PM PDT
Save Quest, provide enrichment
Apr 15, 2021 07:02 PM PDT
Alfalit Liberia Certificates 310 Adult Learners in Basic Reading, Writing, Math Skills
Apr 15, 2021 05:45 PM PDT
Fourth wave threat may mean return of online learning
Apr 15, 2021 05:11 PM PDT
Profs on contract at RU rue delay in salary disbursement
Apr 15, 2021 04:30 PM PDT