Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
Teaching Mistakes 101
This is a compilation of comments from instructors to help others. It will be useful for first-time instructors, but...
2021 EDUCAUSE Horizon Report® Teaching and Learning Edition
The COVID-19 pandemic has transformed the higher education landscape. Though it remains to be seen whether those...
HBCU AL$ Resource Center
With the essential support from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the California State University Long Beach...
INSYSTED pedagogical framework – Instructional booklet
This is the intellectual output 1 of the Erasmus+ INSYSTED project: an inspirational guide to foster soft and digital...
Here's a Quick Way to Instantly Have Closed Captions
Here's a great accessibility feature that enables closed captions for e-learning courses and videos that run through...
Teaching and Learning in the Time of COVID: The Student Perspective
This article describes findings from the Survey of Student Perceptions of Remote Teaching and Learning, which was...
Explore SEL (Social and Emotional Learning)
Navigate the complex field of social and emotional learning. We provide information and tools that summarize and connect...
10 Tips for Designing an Online Learning System
This special report introduces learning contracts to increase motivation and self-direction while providing ways to...
Weebly for Education
Weebly is perfect for creating classroom websites, student e-portfolios, and websites for assigned projects. Our drag &...
Voki is a fun tool that students can use for homework, classwork or projects. They can customize their appearance and...
Chatting Digital Engagement and Community Building in Online Learning
As a digital storyteller, Erica Hargreave talks about the importance of engaging community in online learning. At this...
www.office.com/setup | Enter Office Setup Key | Office Setup
www.office.com/setup - Get started to install, download, Step 1. Go to office.com/setup - Sign in, 2nd. Enter product...
25 Strategies to Prevent Plagiarism
A practical 1-page handout to help faculty and teaching assistants learn how to prevent plagiarism in student work. This...
15 Strategies to Detect Contract Cheating
Practical, evidence-based 2-page handout to help faculty learn how to identify contract cheating (e.g., academic work...
Open Scholarship Knowledge Base
The Open Scholarship Knowledge Base contains resources created, curated, and contributed by the Open Scholarship...
Transform Your Students’ Online Learning Environment with Resources, Apps, and Games
This is a resource offered by Faculty Focus that provides a number of ideas from faculty to help engage students in the...
Pedagogies of Care: Open Resources for Student-Centered & Adaptive Strategies in the New Higher Ed Landscape
Pedagogies of Care: Open Resources for Student-Centered & Adaptive Strategies in the New Higher-Ed Landscape offers...
User-friendly OER Course Design for Remote & Face-to-Face
This is an online presentation by CCCOER that includes slides as well as supplemental material. When faculty start using...
The Big List of Class Discussion Strategies
When I worked with student teachers on developing effective lesson plans, one thing I always asked them to revise was the...
Delivering High-Quality Instruction Online in Response to COVID-19
Delivering High-Quality Instruction Online in Response to COVID-19 is a faculty-focused playbook intended to improve...
Learning to Learn Online
Learning to Learn Online helps you prepare for online learning success by introducing you to the online learning...
Cultural Dimensions of Learning: Addressing the Challenges of Multicultural Instruction
This article explores research into cultural differences to identify those dimensions of culture that are most likely to...
Preparing Teachers and Learners for Online Instruction
In response to the COVID 19 pandemic and higher education (as well as K-12 education) moving to online instruction,...
Our 6 Favorite Flipped Classroom Resources
If you’re a teacher, you’re already well aware that a wave of technology has infiltrated nearly every classroom. Flipped...
New Pedagogy Members
Steven KromanTexas International Education Consortium
Heather FarmakisTexas International Education Consortium
Catherine McCollumWMU Cooley Law School
EUGENIO RIVERADepartment of Education Taft National High School
Rafael SantosAcadian Campus, Crowley
tajaxo sfddfsCentral Institute of Technology
Catherine SullivanGNB - WorkingNB
Jessica BynumMiles College
Tonya WaycasterUniversity of North Carolina System
Albert UnrathDelaware TechnicalandCommunity/Technical College
Faustino HernandezCo-op NFUCA
Aluri Sai PadmaBhavan's Vivekananda college
Brent PierceDaytona Beach Community/Technical College
Jeremy JungbluthUniversity at Buffalo
Jennifer FordUC San Diego
Rachel RGeorgia Highlands College
Amber GordonDelaware State University
Eartha JohnsonDillard University
Robert AdamsLoras College
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
- How do we build an engaging and equitable simultaneous learning environment? Teachers across the country share tips… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…27 minutes ago | edutopia
- Rather than sitting down for a seminar, would you prefer submitting a portfolio for credit? Check out these suggest… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | edutopia
- Faculty members urge administrators to publicly support Muslim professor targeted for how she interacted with stude… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | insidehighered
- RT @smerrill777: The research says this really works:
* Have teens write and talk about challenges: stress, transitions, tests, study habit…4 hours ago | edutopia
- Routines can be very reassuring to young students. When they know the class structure, they can focus on what you’r… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | edutopia
- In science, girls often thrive in non-traditional settings. Here’s a look at why.
edutopia.org/article/how-hi…6 hours ago | edutopia
- What Everyone's Reading: "'The Agile College' should convince all of us in higher ed that, yes, winter is coming."… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | insidehighered
- Wisdom gathered and shared at the close of this school year is essential to getting off to a good start in the fall.
edutopia.org/article/end-ye…8 hours ago | edutopia
- Putting Maslow Before Bloom can help students flourish socially, emotionally, and academically—especially when you… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…10 hours ago | edutopia
- Reverend Kevin O'Brien, who was placed on leave in March, resigns as president of Santa Clara… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…10 hours ago | insidehighered
Pedagogy on the Web
UP Govt asks Schools, Colleges to resume online classes for students from 20th May Onwards, Get ...
May 16, 2021 06:52 PM PDT
Govt may extend free data for students
May 16, 2021 05:45 PM PDT
Voice of the People
May 16, 2021 02:22 PM PDT
Shortage of faculty in the headless GDC Women's Anantnag, students in distress
May 16, 2021 12:40 PM PDT
38 L students of Odisha denied online education
May 16, 2021 11:33 AM PDT
Engg. colleges seek nod for online exams
May 16, 2021 11:30 AM PDT
Bhopal: City residents in a pickle over rising grocery, veggie prices
May 16, 2021 11:22 AM PDT
Coronavirus: Singapore will shift to online classes from Wednesday amid fears B.1.617 variant ...
May 16, 2021 06:19 AM PDT
May 16, 2021 06:11 AM PDT
Opinion: How century-old Lucknow University went online in a year
May 16, 2021 03:30 AM PDT
Delhi University To Resume Online Classes From Tomorrow, Campus Shut Till May 24
May 16, 2021 03:18 AM PDT
HCC students celebrate graduation with drive-thru event
May 16, 2021 03:07 AM PDT
How Online Classes Impacted the Mental Health and Routine of Kids
May 16, 2021 01:48 AM PDT
UP govt orders schools, colleges to commence online classes from May 20
May 15, 2021 11:56 PM PDT
PROOF course Information Literacy and Reference Management
May 15, 2021 11:35 PM PDT
Schools of thought
May 15, 2021 10:15 PM PDT
Media and Information Literacy (MIL) Series: (3) Workshop on Social Media, Smartphone and ...
May 15, 2021 09:05 PM PDT
Search Results - ERIC
May 15, 2021 08:32 PM PDT
Sindh government extends school closure date till May 23
May 15, 2021 05:56 PM PDT
No compromise on quality education, academic activities: Director NIT Srinagar
May 15, 2021 01:48 PM PDT