Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
Articulate Storyline 360 Tutorials - The Interface
The Articulate Storyline 360 interface is very similar to the Microsoft PowerPoint interface. This similarity is by...
Accessible Elements: Teaching Science Online and at a Distance
Accessible Elements informs science educators about current practices in online and distance education:...
Game Based Assessment: Journal of Applied Testing Technology
Game and Simulation-Based Assessments have emerged as a disruptive challenge to traditional assessment. This introduction...
Introduction to Teaching with Canvas - Self-Paced
This self-paced course will introduce you to the beauties of using Canvas in online, hybrid, and face-to-face classes....
Seven Facts about the State of Online University Courses in 2019 (Infographic)
Online learning has taken off in the past decade due to the now widespread accessibility of fast speed internet. While...
Can We Design Online Learning Platforms That Feel More Intimate Than Massive? - EdSurge News
This article is part of the guide 6 Key Trends to 21st Century Teaching. The majority of online learning environments are...
Can an LMS Be Designed for Humans First, Tech Second? | UPCEA
Despite the evolution of learning management systems over the past two decades, LMSs seem to remain tech-oriented rather...
Time Management Strategies for the Flipped Classroom
The flipped classroom creates new challenges for faculty and students in terms of time management. Here are three...
Toolbox Collection, Vol. 1: Course Design
The Toolbox Collection compiles highlights from The Toolbox, a professional development newsletter that offers...
Create a Positive Flipped Classroom Environment with the Start, Stop, Continue Strategy
"Start, Stop, Continue" works well in flipped classrooms and active learning environments because you can assess how...
Transforming Midterm Evaluations into a Metacognitive Pause
Midterm evaluations often tip toward students’ (unexamined) likes and dislikes. By leveraging the weight of the midterm...
Learning and Student Success: Presenting the Results of the 2019 Key Issues Survey
Each year, the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative surveys the higher education community on key issues and opportunities in...
Hey! H5P: Interactive online content
H5p is a free, web-based open-source tool for creating easy to share interactive content such as quizzes, matching games...
Active Learning Strategies | Center for Teaching & Learning
A comprehensive list of active learning teaching strategies.
A New Pedagogy is Emerging... and Online Learning is a Key Contributing Factor
In all the discussion about learning management systems, open educational resources (OER), massive open online courses...
Challenge-Based Online Learning to Develop Essential Competencies at the Open University of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain | teachonline.ca
The Open University of Catalonia (UOC) in Barcelona, Spain is an online university with over 54,000 students in more than...
The A to Z of Presentations
This book will give everything you need to become a professional presenter. Whether you are giving a presentation to an...
Man of Inspiration - Human Rights through the Life and Work of Václav Havel
Václav Havel, a Czech president, writer and dissident, was one of the leading dissidents and human rights activists of...
Research impact of a journal, an article, an author
This web-based guide will help researchers, authors, and students to track and measure the impact of research, whether...
Presenting at Conferences
“According to most studies, people's number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. Death is number two. Does...
Retrieval Practice in the High School Classroom - The Effortful Educator
One of the largest gaps in my students’ learning that I encounter regularly is a lack of study/learning skills. I am...
Why Revise? Because You Have an Authentic Audience
Motivate students to revise their writing through self-publishing fiction, creating podcasts and YouTube videos, writing...
How to Teach a Good First Day of Class
The first day of class is crucial both for your students and for you. This guide will help you make opening day as...
To Learn, Students Need to DO Something | Cult of Pedagogy
Too often, we're expecting students to learn material without asking them to do much of anything with it. Why is this a...
New Pedagogy Members
Elizabeth YoungLewis and Clark College
Ryan KudasikShippensburg University of Pennsylvania
Susan MillsUniversity of Texas System - Rio Grande Valley
Emily PerrittNorthwestern State University of Louisiana
Jason WagnerUniversity of Rochester
Laura ShraderState University of New York System - College at Fredonia
Lauren NeimeyerUniversity of Maryland System - College Park
Janice PostonBellarmine College
Alexandria McNierNorth Greenville College
Dave BasenerElmhurst College
Amy NeavesNorth Carolina State University
Tracy MooreWestern University of Health Sciences
Trelisa GlazatovUmoja Community Education Foundation
James WilliamJames William
Denise JurcaUniversity of Iowa
Karyn GleesonMarigold Learning
Alexandria LockettSpelman College
Katie BillardHumber College of Applied Arts and Technology
Newana WilliamsSouthern University - Shreveport Bossier City
Glen HarrisSouthern University - Shreveport Bossier City
Richard TraderInstitute of Health Sciences
Deb PerrySan Francisco State University
Stephaney BennettPine Bluff School District
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
- RT @voelkerc: .@QMProgram Certified #K12 Course Reviewers at #ISTE19 this year- we need your help! Spread the word about the good work you…15 minutes ago | QMProgram
- A job search is anxiety-producing on its own, without also having to navigate issues of gender, identity and expres… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…20 minutes ago | insidehighered
- Drama activities—like acting out scenes from a book or using interviews to ask characters questions—help students u… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…45 minutes ago | edutopia
- Council of the American Library Association votes to remove name of Melvil Dewey from its medal… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | insidehighered
- Relying on biased instruments to evaluate faculty members is institutional discrimination and could lead to lawsuit… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | insidehighered
- We've updated our list of private nonprofit college closures and mergers since 2016, which now includes St. Joseph… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | insidehighered
- There's a movement for better posters at science conferences. But are they really better? #betterposter ihenow.com/2xdD5rX4 hours ago | insidehighered
- Awesome news indeed! #QMCertified twitter.com/QMOhio/status/…4 hours ago | QMProgram
- University of California adopts post-scandal plan, including ban on consideration of legacy status or ties to poten… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | insidehighered
- Some lessons fail, but that doesn't make them failures. Find out how to use classroom failures to improve. edut.to/2IEKuah5 hours ago | edutopia
Pedagogy on the Web
Adult learners may be eligible for $3360 'Wyoming Works' scholarships at Casper College
Jun 24, 2019 12:26 PM PDT
Asbury breaks ground on Collaborative Learning Center
Jun 24, 2019 07:15 AM PDT
Jun 24, 2019 07:09 AM PDT
Top Hat and Fountainhead Press Announce Partnership to Significantly Improve ROI in Higher ...
Jun 24, 2019 06:41 AM PDT
'Self-inflicted wound': Students, parents, teachers express frustration as DODEA cuts come into focus
Jun 24, 2019 03:18 AM PDT
Pune traffic cops to hold school principals, parents, coaching centres accountable
Jun 23, 2019 11:22 PM PDT
ILCC Trustees meet at Spencer campus
Jun 23, 2019 06:07 PM PDT