This site is a tutorial and interactive site with an audio component. It introduces the first and second year students in EE/CE to the basic concepts in Digital Electronics and Design. It covers almost all the concepts to be taugt in a course of this nature. Namely, Binary to Decimal Conversion, Decimal to Binary Conversion, Number Theory, Logic gates, MUX/DMUX. Encoder/ Decoder, 2,3,4,5,and 6 variable Karnaugh Maps. At the end of each section there is a quiz for the students. That is a great feedback for the students to realize whether they understood the concepts correctly or not.
Type of Material:
This consists of voice-over tutorials with animation and drill and practice exercises.
• This may be used as a take-home assignment for students to practice more on the lines of a flipped classroom.
Requires a web-browser and Flash installed.
Identify Major Learning Goals:
• The major learning goals is to provide students with an interactive tutorial that enables them to interact with the tutorial as they understand the concepts of binary logic, number systems, karnaugh maps etc.
Target Student Population:
• Sophomore, Junior year Undergraduates
Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
Boolean Algebra and Basic Electric Circuit Theory. Although not necessay, yet can help the students to understand the concepts better.
• This tutorial has numerous practice exercises that provide students with ample opportunities to practice their skills to improve understanding of the concepts in binary logic, number systems and Karnaugh maps. The voice-over explanation of concepts is also really helpful.
• Since this is Macromedia Flash based, this might not work on many devices.
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
It is an effective site if there were more examples for each section. The quizzes are effective, but more examples would make the site even more effective.
• It would be nice to include more examples. Also, a switch to non-flash-based software will improve accessibility and reach.
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
• This learning material is really easy to use. Students can easily pick it up with minimal instruction. This would be a really handy resource to strengthen the foundational knowledge.
• Some of the tutorials took a while to load and seems to be prone to freeze. This might be an issue with Macromedia Flash.
Other Issues and Comments:
A very informative, comprehensive tutorial on Computer Engineerin/ Digital Circuit Design.
Search by ISBN?
It looks like you have entered an ISBN number. Would you like to search using what you have
entered as an ISBN number?
Searching for Members?
You entered an email address. Would you like to search for members? Click Yes to continue. If no, materials will be displayed first. You can refine your search with the options on the left of the results page.