This collection contains the California Open Educational Resources Council (CA OER) list of peer-reviewed textbooks for Social Problems (common course-id SOCI 115), one of the top 50 college courses identified for inclusion in the California Open Online Library for Education (COOLforEd).
General Course Description: SOCI 115
An identification and analysis of contemporary social problems including (1) the role of power and ideology in the definition of social problems, (2) their causes and consequences, (3) evaluations of proposed solutions, and (4) methods of intervention. Topics will vary.
Minimum Units: 3.0
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- demonstrate understanding of major social problems concerning the U.S.;
- place local, regional, and national social problems in global context;
- identify, and distinguish between, causes and consequences of social problems;
- analyze social problems using sociological approaches and concepts;
- analyze and interpret qualitative and quantitative information about social problems;
- identify and evaluate policies that address social problems and assess the policies’ impact on society.
- Objective exams
- Written assignments
- Application exercises
- Research project
- Field Journal
- Oral Presentations
- Reflection and discussion
- Small group activities
- Out-of-class activities
Sociology: Understanding and Changing the Social World (Open (Access) Textbook)PEDAGOGICAL FEATURES SOCIAL ISSUES IN THE NEWS: Almost every chapter starts with recent media coverage recounting... More