STEPS has created a multimedia initiative to re-ignite interest in the problem of global poverty. Why Poverty? features 8 full-length documentaries and 30 shorts, all available online, that address various aspects of poverty. According to STEPS, he objectives of the initiative are to:
- produce narratives that inspire people to think and be part of the solution,
- involve the best filmmakers in the creation of bold and provocative factual films,
- bring together broadcasters worldwide and engage audience through multiple media platforms,
- create a global outreach campaign, supplementing the broadcasts with extra teaching materials, and
- engage with decision-makers and influencers to find solutions for change.