Criminal Justice Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Criminal Justice Portal, an educational resource for teaching and learning. Use this portal to discover online learning materials, MERLOT members, journals, professional organizations, and news in your discipline.
You are also invited to join MERLOT – it's free! As a member, you can contribute to this growing community of instructors and students by using and rating the learning materials you find, submitting online learning materials for evaluation that you have created or that you have used.
MERLOT prides itself on the peer reviews of material in our collection. As a member you can become a peer reviewer. The peer review process for evaluating the teaching and learning resources in MERLOT follows a standard model and is led by Editors and editorial boards. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Peer Review Information page.
Paul Bowdre, Editor - Criminal Justice Editorial Board
This is a game based on a TV show "The First 48". The true life show follows detectives from the first call to a murder scene through the first 48 hours. This game allows the user to examine finger prints, process a crime scene, and interview suspects and family among other things.
Defend Dissent is an introduction to cryptography paired with the social impacts of surveillance and the protective...
Fundamentals of Social Research
An OER research methods textbook for undergraduate courses.
Fundamentals of Social Statistics
This is my OER guide to very basic concepts of basic social statistics. Note that this is not designed to be a...
Police Methods: An Abridged Reader
This text provides a selection of readings across a wide swath of police topics. It is designed for a second course in...
Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation
This textbook will be made available for free to the scholarly community as an OER criminal investigations textbook.
Fundamental Cases on the Fourth Amendment
This text contains the heavily abridged and edited versions of important court cases centered on the Fourth Amendment.
Fundamental Cases in Procedural Law
This text contains the heavily abridged and edited versions of important court cases centered on the constitutional law...
Decision Point: Real-Life Ethical Dilemmas in Law Enforcement: Green Ph.D., Jeffrey L.: 9780981711621: Amazon.com: Books
Criminal Justice textbook
Jason Moore Attorney at Law
Attorney Jason Moore is a Criminal Defense Lawyer based in Farmville, VA. He works with Price Benowitz and focuses his...
Community Action Poverty Simulations
Gain a better understanding of how poverty impacts individuals health promotion and healthcare decisions to provide more...
The illegal wildlife trade in the context of zoonotic diseases
Human-wildlife interactions are occurring at an unprecedented scale and intensity. One factor driving this trend, is the...
Cybercrime is a growing, global problem. Whether you are a small business, a Fortune 500 company, buying your first...
Each year, while countless species are driven closer to extinction, criminals make billions from the sale of protected...
Whether firearms are used as an instrument of violent crimes, as a tool to project or perpetuate power, an illegal...
Trafficking in Persons; Smuggling of Migrants
In recent years there have been few topics garnering as much widespread interest as trafficking in persons and smuggling...
Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice
Education plays a key role in preventing crime and promoting a culture of lawfulness that supports human rights and...
Education should be a fundamental area of work of any effective crime prevention strategy. Organized crime, in...
Integrity & Ethics
Building a culture of lawfulness starts with strengthening our ethical values and the ability to act upon them. To that...
Corruption is one of the most serious global threats of our time. It has disastrous effects on the economy and...
Terrorism continues to present a serious threat to international peace and security, affecting many UN Member States,...
Exercises for Critical Thinking
These exercises were written to accompany a course in critical thinking. Everything starts with a question so it's...
Introducing Vigilant Audiences
This ground-breaking collection of essays examines the scope and consequences of digital vigilantism – a phenomenon...
Introduction to Corrections
Introduction to Corrections - An Open Educational Resources Publication by Taft College.
Community and the Justice System
Community and the Justice System - An Open Educational Resources Publication by Taft College.
Patrick BowenLafourche Parish Sheriff's Office
SHARON WALTONCentral New Mexico Community College
Laurie HolienIdaho State University
Sherhil AlcosNew Mexico Junior College
Gary SokolowThe University of South Dakota
Gerard RemyCaribbean island
Linda CarsonLander University
Kideste YusefBethune-Cookman University
GILLIAN MAE SAPINOSaint Louis University
John C. I. RockeLos Angeles Mission College
Miranda TacyYoung Memorial Campus, Morgan City
Carolyn SpeerWichita State University
Wardell CarterSan Joaquin Delta College
Caroletta IveyClaflin University
William LoveCommunity/Technical College of Philadelphia
Teresa OdumLong County Probate Court
Daniel OlsonUniversity of Colorado System - Colorado Springs
Emma MasonEastern Kentucky University
John MarkleyOakland City University
Ebonie MalveauxLouisiana Community/Technical College System
Kevin LindseyWashtenaw Community/Technical College
Tricia KloskySaint Mary's University of Minnesota
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- American Correctional Association
- American Jail Association
- American Probation and Parole Association
- International Association of Chiefs of Police
- International Association for Intelligence Education
- Midwest Criminal Justice Association
- National Criminal Justice Association
- Northeastern Association of Criminal Justice Sciences
- Southern Criminal Justice Association
- Southwestern Association of Criminal Justice
- International Association for Intelligence Education
Journals & Publications
- Applied Psychology in Criminal Justice
- British Journal of Criminology
- Corrections Today
- Evidence Technology Magazine
- FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin
- Federal Probation Journal
- Homeland Security Affairs
- Journal of Criminal Justice
- Journal of Homeland Security Education
- Journal of National Security Law and Policy
- Perspectives on Terrorism
- Police Chief Magazine
- The Open Criminology Journal
- Trends and Issues in Crime and Criminal Justice
Criminal Justice on the Web
Criminal Justice on Twitter
- Is #conversiontherapy banned in your state? Only 20 states have a ban on the practice and those have limitations in… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…11 hours ago | ABACJS
- Wondering how community coalitions can bring a broad range of stakeholders and voices to the justice planning table… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…12 hours ago | thencja
- We are one week away from the ABA Annual Meeting! Join CJS on August 5 at 12 pm Central/1 pm ET for to discuss Cryp… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…14 hours ago | ABACJS
- RT @DOJSMART: Know of a tribe interested in applying for the Tribal Access Program (TAP)?
The FY21 application deadline is 8/31. Upcoming…1 day ago | thencja
- Save the Date! NCJA and @ICCA_1964 present the 2021 Forum on Criminal Justice - join us every Thursday in October f… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | thencja
- Join @iadlest July 30, 10 AM ET for "The Central Role of Training in Policing Reform: A Virtual Briefing on Evidenc… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 days ago | thencja
- Join us for this special Membership Town Hall starting at 2 pm ET. us02web.zoom.us/j/82840398221?… https://t.co/bo3CGQLiQI, photo: pic.twitter.com/bo3CGQLiQI2 days ago | ABACJS
- The 2021 White Collar Crime National Institute marks its 36th year on October 27-29, 2021. The institute proudly re… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 days ago | ABACJS
- Looking for grants? NCJA Members have access to Connect2Grants, a continually curated list of grants related to cri… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 days ago | thencja
- Big @WhiteHouse announcement! $700 million from the #AmericanRescuePlan will support #COVID19 mitigation in prisons… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 week ago | thencja