Library and Information Services Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Library and Information Services portal, an educational resource for information professionals.
Create a free account and begin using the learning materials, submitting your own materials for evaluation or those you find valuable on the web, and learning new ideas to help your teaching.
Research Roadmap is an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills. The tutorial covers the basics, including how to select a topic and develop research questions, select, search for, find, and evaluate information sources. It also covers the ethics of information use, including copyright and fair use, how to avoid plagiarism, and how to cite sources correctly.
This guide is designed to help teach library research skills to introductory philosophy college students.
Web Literacy for Student Fact-Checkers
This is an unabashedly practical guide for the student fact-checker. It supplements generic information literacy with the...
This library guide provides research assistance in locating articles, evaluating information, selecting a research topic,...
This website provides librarian interview podcasts that facilitate conversations about the innovative people & ideas...
Choosing & Using Sources: A Guide to Academic Research
Engaging graphics, compelling examples, and easy-to-understand explanations make Choosing and Using Sources: A Guide to...
Data Information Literacy
This book addresses data information literacy (particularly the data management life cycle), emphasizing the role of...
LibGuides: Types of Sources: Home
This library guide explains different types of sources (e.g., primary, secondary, tertiary, scholarly), and links to...
Library Data Analytics
This website serves as a centralized site for information on data analytics for library management.
Incorporating Computational Thinking into Library Graduate Course Goals and Objectives
This study examined how computational thinking concepts were incorporated into library science syllabi objectives, how...
Knowledge and Networks | SpringerLink
This book discusses a core question in many fields of the social sciences, namely how to create, share and adopt new...
The Atlas of New Librarianship Online
Describes a new librarianship based not on books and artifacts but on knowledge and learning; and he suggests a new...
Remote Capture: Digitising Documentary Heritage in Challenging Locations
This is a must-read how-to guide if you are planning to embark on a scholarly digitisation project. Tailored to the...
Access to Online Resources | SpringerLink
This book is published open access under a CC BY 4.0 licence.The book offers a concise guide for librarians, helping them...
Information Literacy: Searching in Scopus
This tutorial shows some of the specific features of the bibliographic database and search system Scopus. In this...
Open Science Training Handbook (ver 1)
The Open Science Training Handbook (ver. 1) is intended for anyone who wishes to host Open Science training events or...
U.S. Copyright Basics Tutorial
This lesson introduces the basics of U.S. copyright protection. Copyright is a form of legal protection that allows...
Public Librarians - BecomeALibrarian.org
A site that tells all the career of librarianship. "If you're looking for a job that is highly skilled, in demand and...
Information Literacy: PubMed
This tutorial is meant to show some of the specific features of the PubMed database and search system. In this module...
Habits of Mind Toolkit
This toolkit provides the foundational "habits of mind" or skills that underlie approaches to effectively interacting...
ChemSpider.com | Chemical Structure Database
ChemSpider is a free chemical structural database providing fast text and structure search access to over 63+ million...
CitizenScience.gov (USA) is an official government website designed to accelerate the use of crowdsourcing and Citizen...
Canadian School Libraries Research Archive – Scholarly and Practitioner Research about the School Library Learning Commons
The Canadian School Libraries Research Archive makes scholarly and practitioner research from all Treasure Mountain...
Metrics-Toolkit.org | Helping you use metrics responsibly
The Metrics Toolkit provides evidence-based information about research metrics across disciplines, including how each...
LIS Scholarship Archive (LISSA): Open Access Preprints for Library & Informational Sciences
LIS Scholarship Archive (LISSA) is a free, open access preprints service for Library & Information Sciences and allied...
Sandra PesceSan Diego City College
Doreen HaugeMinnesota State Community and Technical Colleges
Evelyn BurgerMidlands Technical College
Anna NewmanWorcester Polytechnic Institute
Shannon BrooksSouthern Wesleyan University
Stephanie SmithFull Sail Real World Education
Dylan MartinLincoln University of Missouri
Jacqueline TidwellUniversity System of Georgia - University of Georgia
fred kabuyeKibogora polytechnic
Jason YamashitaUniversity of Hawaii - Leeward Community/Technical College
Jenny YapBerkely City College
Katharine HamiltonLos Angeles City College
ANTHI BALIOUUniversity of Macedonia
Wally GrotophorstGeorge Mason University
Margaret LincolnLakeview High School
Lauryn LehmanSaginaw Valley State University
Andrew DiamondTemple University
Jennifer RayeButler University
Gaylord RobbSalisbury University
Pauline LaiThe Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Paige MannUniversity of Redlands
Kelly KlinkeCommunity College
Materials by Discipline
- Archives and Special Collections (45)
- Cataloging and Classification (38)
- Citations and Style Guides (58)
- General (89)
- Information and Communication Technology Literacy (550)
- Information Retrieval (87)
- Information Technology (22)
- Intellectual Property and Plagiarism (68)
- Issues in Librarianship (49)
- Library Specialties (12)
- Professional Development (22)
- American Library Association
- Public Library Association
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Special Libraries Association
- American Association of School Librarians
- Library and Information Technology Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- Association for Library Collections & Technical Services
- Association for Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies
- Reference and User Services Association
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Library Leadership and Management Association
- Medical Library Association
Journals & Publications
- Journal or Publication Title Journal URL College and Research Libraries
- Library and Information Science Research
- Journal of Academic Researcher
- College and Research Library News
- Cataloging and Classification Quarterly
- Reference Services Review
- Library Hi Tech
- Library Management
- Library Quarterly
- Archival Science Journal of the Medical Library Association
- Journal of Library Administration
- Journal of Information Science
- Annual Review of Information Science and Technology
- Journal of Information Technology
- Public Library Quarterly
- Public Libraries Magazine
- Library Journal
- American Libraries
Library & Information Services on the Web
Community Calendar: Monday, Oct. 22 – Sunday, Oct. 28
Oct 21, 2018 11:22 PM PDT
University City Public Library receives grant for technology education initiatives
Oct 21, 2018 07:26 PM PDT
Todd Bol, whose Little Free Library brought books to the street corner, dies at 62
Oct 21, 2018 06:52 PM PDT
Library run by workers spells change for poor kids
Oct 21, 2018 06:41 PM PDT
A Friendly Critique of 'Palaces for the People'
Oct 21, 2018 02:22 PM PDT
A library run by industrial workers means big change for children
Oct 21, 2018 12:52 PM PDT
A NJ school's high carbon dioxide levels have parents concerned. Here's what we know.
Oct 21, 2018 07:26 AM PDT
Mid-Hudson meetings schedule: Starting Oct. 22, 2018
Oct 21, 2018 04:26 AM PDT
Satellite library for Musekwa
Oct 21, 2018 03:10 AM PDT
SMNRU to offer special library to students
Oct 20, 2018 12:41 AM PDT
Lib & Info on Twitter
- Our Regional Councils are looking for new colleagues & perspectives!
Contribute to the success of the cooperative… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 minute ago | OCLC
- At an #OCLCdss session, Char Booth examined open access through the perspective of information privilege, highlight… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 minutes ago | OCLC
- Working together to keep #LibrariesStrong in #RhodeIsland.
#LibrariesTransform @rilalibs @CHSELibrary twitter.com/loidagarciafeb…19 minutes ago | ALALibrary
- Latest Library Links: NEA Big Read adds six new books bit.ly/2OFgIai38 minutes ago | amlibraries
- Latest Library Links: 2018 Brooklyn Public Library Literary Prizes bit.ly/2CxbKox48 minutes ago | amlibraries
- Latest Library Links: Inside the Walt Disney Animation Research Library bit.ly/2yYO4981 hour ago | amlibraries
- Reminder: Apply by 11/16 to be part of ALA's Great Stories Club series on Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | ALALibrary
- Latest Library Links: Ghost stories persist in American literature bit.ly/2yQSbEi2 hours ago | amlibraries
- Latest Library Links: Iowa religious activist burns LGBTQ library books bit.ly/2EGvb0T2 hours ago | amlibraries
- RT @loidagarciafebo: School libraries need our support! Energizing visit to Cranston High School East Library to advocate for libraries. Th…2 hours ago | ALALibrary