Library and Information Services Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Library and Information Services portal, an educational resource for information professionals.
Create a free account and begin using the learning materials, submitting your own materials for evaluation or those you find valuable on the web, and learning new ideas to help your teaching.
Research Roadmap is an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills. The tutorial covers the basics, including how to select a topic and develop research questions, select, search for, find, and evaluate information sources. It also covers the ethics of information use, including copyright and fair use, how to avoid plagiarism, and how to cite sources correctly.
Do Academic Libraries Protect Privacy in the Digital Age?
The library profession has a long history of safeguarding user privacy, but how well do academic libraries protect...
Open Practices for PNW Librarians
On May 11, 2018, Open Oregon Educational Resources hosted a two-hour online program for Pacific Northwest librarians to...
Using Student Outcomes Data in OER Courses
As OER programs mature, we’re starting to get more data on student outcomes – and not all of the results are positive....
ChinaXiv is an open repository and distribution service for scientific researchers in the field of natural science, which...
Writing Information Literacy Assessment Plans: A Guide to Best Practice
This paper explains how academic librarians add value to the teaching and learning missions of their institutions though...
Characteristics of Programs of Information Literacy that Illustrate Best Practices: A Guideline
The “Characteristics of Programs of Information Literacy that Illustrate This guideline articulates elements of exemplary...
Credo InfoLit Learning Community
Credo Reference has an InfoLit Learning Community that is free and open to anyone. It links to field-based resources on...
Expanding Perspectives in Your Search
This tutorial challenges researchers to actively seek sources that push outside of their initial perspective. With a more...
Research impact of a journal, an article, an author
This web-based guide will help researchers, authors, and students to track and measure the impact of research, whether...
Literature Mapping: a tutorial
The interactive tutorial that allows to search and organize the literature for analysis and synthesis of educational...
Introduction to International Copyright Law
This article addresses international copyright law, which is a mix of copyright treaties and domestic copyright laws, and...
Citizen Science: Innovation in Open Science, Society and Policy
Citizen Science: Open Science, Society, and Policy is an excellent review of Citizen Science that brings together some of...
OER: A Field Guide for Academic Librarians
We intend this book to act as a guide writ large for would-be champions of OER, that anyone—called to action by the...
Preservation 101 is a free online textbook that provides a basic introduction to the concepts and standards used to build...
Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication
The Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication seeks to share useful innovations, both in thought and in...
College & Research Libraries
College & Research Libraries (C&RL) is the official scholarly research journal of the Association of College & Research...
Making Institutional Repositories Work
Quickly following what many expected to be a wholesale revolution in library practices, institutional repositories...
Meaningful Metrics: A 21st-Century Librarian’s Guide to Bibliometrics, Altmetrics, and Research Impact
What does it mean to have meaningful metrics in today’s complex higher education landscape? With a foreword by Heather...
A Guide on Academic Integrity for International Students
This guide on plagiarism for international students was developed using scholarly literature and research on the topic of...
Library Science 101: Honors Library Research Methods (Syllabus)
Syllabus used for Library Science 101: Library Research Methods Honors in Fall 2018 at East Los Angeles College. Course...
This guide is designed to help teach library research skills to introductory philosophy college students.
Web Literacy for Student Fact-Checkers
This is an unabashedly practical guide for the student fact-checker. It supplements generic information literacy with the...
This library guide provides research assistance in locating articles, evaluating information, selecting a research topic,...
This website provides librarian interview podcasts that facilitate conversations about the innovative people & ideas...
Toni CarterAuburn University
Leigh-Ann ButlerUniversity of Ottawa
Chris LivingstonCalifornia State University, Bakersfield
Ariela McCaffreyConnecticut College
Maria Francisca MayoINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Denise ShereffUniversity of South Florida
Aline GoncalvesYukon College - Yukon is not listed as a province
Bruce BarronFlorida Atlantic University
Elizabeth McCormickRadford University
Robert BellOklahoma State University - Tulsa
Chris PaulLocus Rags
Tim ReamFullerton College
Emily KingCommunity/Technical College of Southern Nevada
Carmen Orth-AlfieUniversity of Kansas
Charlotte FordUniversity of Montevallo
Diana MorontaNew York Institute of Technology
Brad DoerksenUniversity of Regina*
Alison FosterGrant MacEwan University
Johnnie ZolmanFarmville Public Library
Jin An-DunningCollege of the Desert
Micheal KottMorton College
Materials by Discipline
- Archives and Special Collections (46)
- Cataloging and Classification (38)
- Citations and Style Guides (58)
- General (90)
- Information and Communication Technology Literacy (545)
- Information Retrieval (87)
- Information Technology (22)
- Intellectual Property and Plagiarism (70)
- Issues in Librarianship (50)
- Library Specialties (12)
- Professional Development (23)
- American Library Association
- Public Library Association
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Special Libraries Association
- American Association of School Librarians
- Library and Information Technology Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- Association for Library Collections & Technical Services
- Association for Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies
- Reference and User Services Association
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Library Leadership and Management Association
- Medical Library Association
Journals & Publications
- Journal or Publication Title Journal URL College and Research Libraries
- Library and Information Science Research
- Journal of Academic Researcher
- College and Research Library News
- Cataloging and Classification Quarterly
- Reference Services Review
- Library Hi Tech
- Library Management
- Library Quarterly
- Archival Science Journal of the Medical Library Association
- Journal of Library Administration
- Journal of Information Science
- Annual Review of Information Science and Technology
- Journal of Information Technology
- Public Library Quarterly
- Public Libraries Magazine
- Library Journal
- American Libraries
Library & Information Services on the Web
Little Free Libraries pop up across Prince William
Mar 24, 2019 04:18 PM UTC
City of Rock Island Library Board of Directors met February 19
Mar 24, 2019 01:52 PM UTC
PICTURES: Primary school refurbishes library
Mar 24, 2019 12:56 PM UTC
Norristown library receives grant from Literacy Access Fund
Mar 24, 2019 11:48 AM UTC
Norris Burkes: Coloring the world with hope
Mar 24, 2019 11:26 AM UTC
Patient Education Library
Mar 24, 2019 11:08 AM UTC
Porter County education lobbyists discuss school funding, teacher pay; encourage local teachers ...
Mar 24, 2019 10:52 AM UTC
Social Studies Honors Society Formed At Berlin High School
Mar 24, 2019 10:41 AM UTC
Kids, parents, grandparents and reptiles make the scene at Kidz Expo
Mar 24, 2019 10:30 AM UTC
'Imiloa, UH-Hilo work to build wayfinding program
Mar 24, 2019 10:07 AM UTC
Remodeling for success: Blackhawk plans changes to engage students
Mar 24, 2019 09:00 AM UTC
RI Library Advocacy Organizations Urge Town Council To Support Narragansett Library Building ...
Mar 24, 2019 06:00 AM UTC
A Week at the Library of The Chathams Monday, March 25 – Sunday, March 31, 2019
Mar 24, 2019 05:37 AM UTC
The Week Ahead
Mar 24, 2019 04:52 AM UTC
On the Calendar
Mar 24, 2019 04:07 AM UTC
VC congratulates faculty for ICAR award
Mar 24, 2019 01:30 AM UTC
Mar 24, 2019 12:22 AM UTC
Modern take on the school library takes out national design award
Mar 23, 2019 11:37 PM UTC
The most diverse library in Victoria is inside the SUB
Mar 23, 2019 11:03 PM UTC
Lib & Info on Twitter
- Edible Book Festivals Are for Pun and Food Lovers @atlasobscura atlasobscura.com/articles/edibl…17 minutes ago | OCLC
- How many of the top 100 novels of all time have you read? Our earlier (highly unscientific) poll on Twitter suggest… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | OCLC
- Become Future Ready: Books, tips, and resources on for preparing for change, by @klmchi bit.ly/2UNwgri1 day ago | amlibraries
- RT @loidagarciafebo: Thrilled to present this course about wellness for library workers in partnership with the National Network of Librari…
- Are you looking to make your user experiences more effective? Join us at #ACRL2019 for a session focused on user-ce… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | OCLC
- I love libraries! Check out this list of the top 100 novels that are available in more library collections than any… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | OCLC
- Last week to finish your entry for the #JohnCottonDana Awards. Apply by March 29! Up to eight winners will each rec… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- How much do you know about your member of Congress? ALA has partnered with @congressfdn to allow members to learn m… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @LSEImpactBlog: Conference rage: How did something as truly awful as panel discussions become the default format… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | LISResearch
- RT @CILIPinfo: Are you passionate about the international library and information world? @CILIP_ILIG Focus journal… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | LISResearch