Library and Information Services Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Library and Information Services portal, an educational resource for information professionals.
Create a free account and begin using the learning materials, submitting your own materials for evaluation or those you find valuable on the web, and learning new ideas to help your teaching.
Research Roadmap is an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills. The tutorial covers the basics, including how to select a topic and develop research questions, select, search for, find, and evaluate information sources. It also covers the ethics of information use, including copyright and fair use, how to avoid plagiarism, and how to cite sources correctly.
Read in Color Archives - Little Free Library
This is a blog post about the Little Free Library's new initiative called Read-in-Color to help promote reading diversity...
Although our stacks will be closed for the Fall 2020 semester for safety purposes, you can still get books and other...
Information Literacy Combined Rubric: Mapping the ACRL Framework to the AAC&amp;U VALUE Rubric (Final Report of the Information Literacy Rubric Task Force)
This rubric maps the ACRL framework onto the AACU VALUE rubric.
Crafting a Research Question
Coming up with a good research question is essential for any research! Whether you're joining a faculty-led group or...
Finding a Research Mentor or Project
Once you've decided to do research, the next step is to make a list of research opportunities that interest you! By the...
Research Logistics at UCLA Before getting started with research, it's important to know the difference between faculty-...
Beginning Your Research Journey
Anyone can get started with research—all it takes is curiosity and persistence! By the end of this activity, you'll be...
APA 7th edition Tutorial
This interactive APA tutorial is meant to serve as an introduction and overview of APA Style, 7th edition. This is by no...
Assessment of Information Literacy: Lessons from the Higher Education Assessment Movement
This paper reviews higher education assessment methods of information literacy; identifies useful theories and practices;...
OER Activity Sourcebook – Open Textbook
This is an evolving resource intended to provide inspiration for instructors who use Pressbooks and Open Educational...
Student Success for community college students
This guide will help students at Nashville State Community College succussfully complete a college degree and also help...
Learning About Academic Integrity Through Experiential Learning
Purpose: This report highlights ways in which academic integrity can be taught through experiential learning activities....
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Compliance Guideline
The EU General Data Protection Regulation went into effect on May 25, 2018, replacing the Data Protection Directive...
Open Educational Resources (OERs)
A library guide for faculty explaining what Open Educational Resources (OERs) are and how to find, evaluate and create...
Guidelines for Primary Source Literacy
These guidelines articulate the range of knowledge, skills, and abilities required to effectively use primary sources....
Information Literacy identification of sources
Student exercise to identify books, articles, websites, other sources.
Applying library values to emerging technology
Decision-making in the age of open access, maker spaces, and the ever-changing library
Information literacy assessment pre- and post-test
This assessment tool can be used to determine information literacy before and after a short course or other instruction.
Using Google Scholar
Using Google Scholar to find sources for your research can yield you a lot of articles, journals, books, and more. But...
Finding Scholarly Articles
Ready to get the most out of your article search? This tutorial will help you successfully navigate search filters,...
Developing Research Questions and Creating Keywords
In these activities, you will learn strategies for generating research questions and turning those questions into...
Introduction to Design Equity
Why do affluent, liberal, and design-rich cities like Minneapolis have some of the biggest racial disparities in the...
Avoiding Plagiarism and Citing Sources
Avoiding plagiarism can be more tricky than it seems at first glance. Complete this activity to learn strategies for...
California Community College Librarian Survey on Open Educational Resources (OER)
The Michelson 20MM Foundation surveyed community college librarians throughout the state of California in 2019 about...
Cirrus GundlachPaul D. Camp Community/Technical College
Jaclyn Chambers PageNiagara College of Applied Arts and Technology
Amanda SprochiUniversity of Missouri System - Columbia
Ricardo BaldwinGolden Joy
Rhiannon BrunerWesleyan College
Dr. Nihar K. PatraManipur University
Carlos Andres Hoyos PerezCarlosHoyosP
Cheryl CyrUS Army
emily skinnerUniversity of Maryland System - Baltimore
DeLisa Minor HarrisFisk University
Marquel AnteolaTexas Wesleyan University
Tammy LoweryArmy University
Jason LeeCape Breton University
Heather Walker-WhiteSouthern New Hampshire University
Angela OkpalaNational Open University of Nigeria
Madukaku AnuduDalhousie University
Tengku SuhaimiMonash University Malaysia
Anna FinkelsternKibbutzim College of Education
Faustino HernandezCo-op NFUCA
Sarah FeehanUniversity of Westminster
Anastasia ChiuNew York University
Denice LewisWake Forest University
Barbara MannUniversity System of Georgia - Georgia Gwinnett College
Materials by Discipline
- Archives and Special Collections (47)
- Cataloging and Classification (52)
- Citations and Style Guides (58)
- Information and Communication Technology Literacy (538)
- Information Retrieval (98)
- Information Technology (25)
- Intellectual Property and Plagiarism (70)
- Issues in Librarianship (51)
- Library Specialties (13)
- Professional Development (24)
- American Library Association
- Public Library Association
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Special Libraries Association
- American Association of School Librarians
- Library and Information Technology Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- Association for Library Collections & Technical Services
- Association for Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies
- Reference and User Services Association
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Library Leadership and Management Association
- Medical Library Association
Journals & Publications
- Journal or Publication Title Journal URL College and Research Libraries
- Library and Information Science Research
- Journal of Academic Researcher
- College and Research Library News
- Cataloging and Classification Quarterly
- Reference Services Review
- Library Hi Tech
- Library Management
- Library Quarterly
- Archival Science Journal of the Medical Library Association
- Journal of Library Administration
- Journal of Information Science
- Annual Review of Information Science and Technology
- Journal of Information Technology
- Public Library Quarterly
- Public Libraries Magazine
- Library Journal
- American Libraries
Library & Information Services on the Web
Fishers Island Library offers New Supports for Students
Oct 31, 2020 10:37 AM PDT
Dolly Parton Imagination Library coming to Seneca County
Oct 31, 2020 08:11 AM PDT
Things to do in Sterling & Logan County Oct. 31 – Nov. 9
Oct 31, 2020 07:03 AM PDT
Election 2020: Longstanding fight over new library to shape next Narragansett Town council
Oct 31, 2020 05:00 AM PDT
Westport begins discussion of re-uses for junior/senior high school
Oct 31, 2020 02:10 AM PDT
Dyer County Board of Education to meet Tuesday
Oct 30, 2020 07:50 PM PDT
A northern Colorado digital divide: not all families can rely on internet during pandemic
Oct 30, 2020 05:56 PM PDT
Fox River Valley Libraries receive CARES Act support
Oct 30, 2020 05:45 PM PDT
Edgar Lee White Jr.
Oct 30, 2020 05:00 PM PDT
A Pair of Design Awards for Palomar's LRC, Rancho Bernardo Center
Oct 30, 2020 02:15 PM PDT
Patricia A. Filippini
Oct 30, 2020 02:00 PM PDT
Volusia leaders urge residents to cast ballots on final weekend of early voting
Oct 30, 2020 12:52 PM PDT
LFL Is The World's Biggest Book-Sharing Program, And It's On An Important New Mission
Oct 30, 2020 12:18 PM PDT
An ode to campus libraries
Oct 30, 2020 12:07 PM PDT
Family of Days Inn founder donates $1 million to FSUs Dedman School of Hospitality
Oct 30, 2020 11:00 AM PDT
$10000 Nez Perce Tribal Education Grant to Help Provide Library Resources For Children
Oct 30, 2020 10:39 AM PDT
GSA launches 10th Center of Excellence with Library of Congress
Oct 30, 2020 10:15 AM PDT
5 Questions to Ask Before Enrolling at an Online College
Oct 30, 2020 09:39 AM PDT
Lib & Info on Twitter
- Congrats to the @aasl National School Library Award winner, @mesquiteisdtx! bit.ly/37WAuX04 hours ago | ALALibrary
- RT @rschon: Important new paper out from @ARLnews about the nature of scholarly community and the role and relevanc… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @RL_UK: To see details of and register for upcoming #RLUKDSF events please visit bit.ly/RLUKDSF
- RT @RL_UK: Thanks to @lorcanD @OCLC for a fantastic talk to launch our #RLUKDSF event series.
You can watch Lorca… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @LSEImpactBlog: Are fast books the future of academic publishing?
@joshgans @richardhorton1 @policypress… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @sheilayoshikawa: The place and role of workplace information literacy in a corporate environment #FOILresearch… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @AWHarzing: Make the most of your Google Scholar Profile! Here is how: youtu.be/izWTE-oCOf8
@Write4Research @JIBSupdates @JWBNews @a…6 hours ago | LISResearch
- RT @AWHarzing: Increasing impact 4 - Google Scholar, Blogging & time-poor academics youtube.com/playlist?list=…
@Write4Research @JIBSupdates…6 hours ago | LISResearch
- On Nov. 18, Kristen Hogan and Christina Juste will facilitate an interactive workshop sharing advocacy strategizes… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | ALALibrary
- Referenda Roundup 2020: How states are performing on library measures bit.ly/3ox0YEn https://t.co/TvUsvnRHm4, photo: pic.twitter.com/TvUsvnRHm46 hours ago | amlibraries