Library and Information Services Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Library and Information Services portal, an educational resource for information professionals.
Create a free account and begin using the learning materials, submitting your own materials for evaluation or those you find valuable on the web, and learning new ideas to help your teaching.
Research Roadmap is an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills. The tutorial covers the basics, including how to select a topic and develop research questions, select, search for, find, and evaluate information sources. It also covers the ethics of information use, including copyright and fair use, how to avoid plagiarism, and how to cite sources correctly.
International Society for Knowledge Organization
This website of the International Society for Knowledge Organization includes their journal, efforts by different...
The Information Literacy User's Guide: An Open, Online Textbook
Good researchers have a host of tools at their disposal that make navigating today’s complex information ecosystem much...
LibGuides: ACRL Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: Home
Library online guide to information and resources on equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) for library services.
Guias Temáticos de Apoio: GUIA DA BIBLIOTECA PARA NOVOS ESTUDANTES: Início
Guias Temáticos de Apoio: GUIA DA BIBLIOTECA PARA NOVOS ESTUDANTES: Início
The Role of Librarians in Supporting ICT Literacy
Librarians in educational settings try to provide not only physical access but also intellectual access to recorded...
The ConnectedLib Toolkit was created to help librarians incorporate digital media into their work with youth to...
Do Academic Libraries Protect Privacy in the Digital Age?
The library profession has a long history of safeguarding user privacy, but how well do academic libraries protect...
Open Practices for PNW Librarians
On May 11, 2018, Open Oregon Educational Resources hosted a two-hour online program for Pacific Northwest librarians to...
Using Student Outcomes Data in OER Courses
As OER programs mature, we’re starting to get more data on student outcomes – and not all of the results are positive....
Writing Information Literacy Assessment Plans: A Guide to Best Practice
This paper explains how academic librarians add value to the teaching and learning missions of their institutions though...
Characteristics of Programs of Information Literacy that Illustrate Best Practices: A Guideline
The “Characteristics of Programs of Information Literacy that Illustrate Best Practices" guideline articulates elements...
Credo InfoLit Learning Community
Credo Reference has an InfoLit Learning Community that is free and open to anyone. It links to field-based resources on...
Expanding Perspectives in Your Search
This tutorial challenges researchers to actively seek sources that push outside of their initial perspective. With a more...
Research impact of a journal, an article, an author
This web-based guide will help researchers, authors, and students to track and measure the impact of research, whether...
Concept & Literature Mapping: a tutorial
The interactive tutorial that allows to search and organize the literature for analysis and synthesis of educational...
Introduction to International Copyright Law
This article addresses international copyright law, which is a mix of copyright treaties and domestic copyright laws, and...
Citizen Science: Innovation in Open Science, Society and Policy
Citizen Science: Open Science, Society, and Policy is an excellent review of Citizen Science that brings together some of...
OER: A Field Guide for Academic Librarians
We intend this book to act as a guide writ large for would-be champions of OER, that anyone—called to action by the...
Preservation 101 is a free online textbook that provides a basic introduction to the concepts and standards used to build...
Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication
The Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication seeks to share useful innovations, both in thought and in...
College & Research Libraries
College & Research Libraries (C&RL) is the official scholarly research journal of the Association of College & Research...
Making Institutional Repositories Work
Quickly following what many expected to be a wholesale revolution in library practices, institutional repositories...
Meaningful Metrics: A 21st-Century Librarian’s Guide to Bibliometrics, Altmetrics, and Research Impact
What does it mean to have meaningful metrics in today’s complex higher education landscape? With a foreword by Heather...
A Guide on Academic Integrity for International Students
This guide on plagiarism for international students was developed using scholarly literature and research on the topic of...
Eduardo Cruz-PalaciosSpanish National Research Council
Amy SmithH. Councill Trenholm State Technical College
Melissa CrowUniversity of Southern California
Erica KnappNortheast Iowa Community/Technical College
whitney sproulSalt Lake City Community/Technical College
Jennifer FarquharSuffolk County Community/Technical College
Maureen AldenFort Lewis College
Thomas San FilippoWheaton College
Elizabeth CheneyCalifornia State University, Northridge
Jamey WilkesNorth Georgia Technical College
Andreea KosaCalifornia State University, Northridge
Liz ThompsonJames Madison University
Jessica NormanSouthern Alberta Institute of Technology
Kim BrownNorth Reading Public Schools
David ArredondoUniversity of Nebraska System - Kearney
Kayleen CoxUniversity of North Texas Health Science Center
Cindy GruwellSt. Cloud State University
Kim UnrauMedicine Hat College
Chris KoethChandler-Gilbert Community/Technical College
Andree ValdryCompton College (now El Camino)
Jill MahoneyWilliam Woods University
Diana Tedone-GoldstoneCañada College
Shane WhiteUniversity of Southern Indiana
Toni CarterAuburn University
Materials by Discipline
- Archives and Special Collections (46)
- Cataloging and Classification (39)
- Citations and Style Guides (58)
- General (92)
- Information and Communication Technology Literacy (544)
- Information Retrieval (86)
- Information Technology (22)
- Intellectual Property and Plagiarism (70)
- Issues in Librarianship (50)
- Library Specialties (12)
- Professional Development (23)
- American Library Association
- Public Library Association
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Special Libraries Association
- American Association of School Librarians
- Library and Information Technology Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- Association for Library Collections & Technical Services
- Association for Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies
- Reference and User Services Association
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Library Leadership and Management Association
- Medical Library Association
Journals & Publications
- Journal or Publication Title Journal URL College and Research Libraries
- Library and Information Science Research
- Journal of Academic Researcher
- College and Research Library News
- Cataloging and Classification Quarterly
- Reference Services Review
- Library Hi Tech
- Library Management
- Library Quarterly
- Archival Science Journal of the Medical Library Association
- Journal of Library Administration
- Journal of Information Science
- Annual Review of Information Science and Technology
- Journal of Information Technology
- Public Library Quarterly
- Public Libraries Magazine
- Library Journal
- American Libraries
Library & Information Services on the Web
Western University creating new gathering space for Indigenous students and faculty
Jul 17, 2019 12:52 AM PDT
Library calendar: Here's what's happening at the libraries
Jul 16, 2019 11:22 PM PDT
Downtown library helps local children shoot for the stars
Jul 16, 2019 09:30 PM PDT
Library gallery highlights Bill Ward's photography
Jul 16, 2019 09:07 PM PDT
Summer Library Program promotes learning and literacy
Jul 16, 2019 08:56 PM PDT
Jean Nichols Retires After 32 Years Helping Families at the County Library
Jul 16, 2019 07:48 PM PDT
Library langar: New move to make government school students to read more
Jul 16, 2019 06:43 PM PDT
'Library langar' in govt schools to last a month
Jul 16, 2019 06:41 PM PDT
Olympia School Board of Directors District No. 1
Jul 16, 2019 06:30 PM PDT
Early literacy fun and learning offered at TCPL
Jul 16, 2019 04:03 PM PDT
Sibley library gets state accreditation
Jul 16, 2019 02:56 PM PDT
Steven Van Zandt promotes music education in Buffalo
Jul 16, 2019 02:08 PM PDT
Culture Report: San Diegans to Watch at Comic-Con
Jul 16, 2019 02:00 PM PDT
Lunch at the Library Keeps Community Fed Through Summer Months
Jul 16, 2019 01:48 PM PDT
Library cancels long-running Christian playgroup after people complain that the children are ...
Jul 16, 2019 01:03 PM PDT
Raytheon and John F. Kennedy Library Foundation Announce JFK Space Labs Recipients
Jul 16, 2019 12:52 PM PDT
Lib & Info on Twitter
- RT @LSEImpactBlog: Academic review promotion and tenure documents promote a view of open access that is at odds wit… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…7 minutes ago | LISResearch
- RT @TahneePearse: "Understanding the Landscape of Library Accessibility for Online Materials" @LYRASIS report lyrasis.org/technology/Pag… focus…9 minutes ago | LISResearch
- RT @uklibchat: Join us for the next #uklibchat on Library buildings and refurbishments 7.00 - 8.30 pm on Monday 5 A… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…13 minutes ago | LISResearch
- Going to #arlisuki2019 and want to hear more about experiences of using #uknbk? Why not attend #cardiffmet's session! #OCLCUK #OCLCIreland1 hour ago | OCLC
- RT @bjaded90: Oh hey! That is @maraebrarian and I! If you have been wanting to view/use the IFRT videos we created as part of our #alaemerg…8 hours ago | ALALibrary
- Principals, do you have a great school librarian? Encourage your community to nominate them for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9 hours ago | ALALibrary
- RT @ThatAndromeda: Did you need a reader's advisory flowchart on speculative fiction by PoC? Because I SURE DID: thefantasyinn.com/2019/07/08/int…12 hours ago | OCLC
- Watch the #Apollo11 mission in real time. 🚀 #apollo50 twitter.com/NASA/status/11…13 hours ago | ALALibrary
- Terrific video about finding common ground from @CCPLVA. We're thrilled to be involved with the American Dream Comm… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…14 hours ago | ALALibrary
- Keith Webster, Dean of University Libraries at @CMULibraries, will be speaking at the OCLC Library Futures Conferen… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…15 hours ago | OCLC