Library and Information Services Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Library and Information Services portal, an educational resource for information professionals.
Create a free account and begin using the learning materials, submitting your own materials for evaluation or those you find valuable on the web, and learning new ideas to help your teaching.
Research Roadmap is an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills. The tutorial covers the basics, including how to select a topic and develop research questions, select, search for, find, and evaluate information sources. It also covers the ethics of information use, including copyright and fair use, how to avoid plagiarism, and how to cite sources correctly.
Open Science Training Handbook (ver 1)
The Open Science Training Handbook (ver. 1) is intended for anyone who wishes to host Open Science training events or...
U.S. Copyright Basics Tutorial
This lesson introduces the basics of U.S. copyright protection. Copyright is a form of legal protection that allows...
Public Librarians - BecomeALibrarian.org
A site that tells all the career of librarianship. "If you're looking for a job that is highly skilled, in demand and...
Information Literacy: PubMed
This tutorial is meant to show some of the specific features of the PubMed database and search system. In this module...
Habits of Mind Toolkit
This toolkit provides the foundational "habits of mind" or skills that underlie approaches to effectively interacting...
ChemSpider.com | Chemical Structure Database
ChemSpider is a free chemical structural database providing fast text and structure search access to over 63+ million...
CitizenScience.gov (USA) is an official government website designed to accelerate the use of crowdsourcing and Citizen...
Canadian School Libraries Research Archive – Scholarly and Practitioner Research about the School Library Learning Commons
The Canadian School Libraries Research Archive makes scholarly and practitioner research from all Treasure Mountain...
Metrics-Toolkit.org | Helping you use metrics responsibly
The Metrics Toolkit provides evidence-based information about research metrics across disciplines, including how each...
LIS Scholarship Archive (LISSA): Open Access Preprints for Library & Informational Sciences
LIS Scholarship Archive (LISSA) is a free, open access preprints service for Library & Information Sciences and allied...
Online Plagiarism Checker Tool | Plagiarismcheck.org
An advanced plagiarism checking tool that will help you identify plagiarism in any document, if it exists. Free and paid...
Library Tutorials | Libraries | Colorado State University
This website teachs basic and advanced boolean search, truncaiton, and "where do I start", etc.
Library Tools and Tutorials - Research Guides at Dominican University of California
This website provides multiple research guides on how to complete research. Some topics are annotated bibliography,...
LibGuides: Library Tutorials Best Practices: Creating Tutorials: Best Practices
This site provided access to mulltiple tutorials, LibGuides, PowerPoints, technology, etc. on how to research and locate...
Online Library Tutorials | UNCW Randall Library
There are multiple online tutorials on topics such as developing a search stratey, types of publication, search specifi...
LibGuides: Information Literacy Tutorials and Activities: Home
This is a very large information literacy site that covers multiple topics such as: evaluating information, peer review &...
How to Research | Pima Community College, Tucson, Arizona
There are 4 library tutorials on: Getting started with research, Information resources, Using the library catalog, using...
Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education
This Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education (Framework) grows out of a belief that information literacy...
La Referencia: Latin America's Open Science/Open Access Repositories Network
La Referencia is Latin America's inner-connected network of Open Access repositories, consisting of 100+ academic...
ACRL Instruction for Diverse Populations Committee > Library
This collection, collated in Zotero, includes articles and other resources to help academic librarians teach diverse...
Improve your research skills | University of Arizona Libraries
This set of tutorials from the University of Arizona LIbraries gives guidance on key concepts, using databaess, writing...
The Many Faces of Digital Visitors & Residents: Facets of Online Engagement
This OCLC Research Report challenges the digital natives vs. digital immigrants paradigm; that is, the common assumption...
THe Impact of Information Literacy Instruction on Student Success
This study compares the academic outcome measures, retention, GPA and hours earned, of students who received library...
The Intangible Advantage: Understanding Intellectual Property in the New Economy
The Intangible Advantage: Understanding Intellectual Property in the New Economy is the first-ever text on intellectual...
Gillian SochorMarshall University
Jenay SolomonUniversity of North Carolina System - Greensboro
Genevieve GoreMcGill University*
Cynthia AinsworthHartnell College
Rosanne HumesNassau Community/Technical College
Renee RuzickaMission College
Rachel MilaniHibbing Community College
John LiebhardtAmerican University of Sharjah
Gregg KiehlTompkins Cortland Community/Technical College
David AlvarezINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Steven KishLawrence Technological University
Rachel MilesKansas State University
Debbie CarneyBucks County Community/Technical College
Tom SchmiedelWestern Connecticut State University
karen wheelerArkansas State University,Jonesboro
shelley blackmanEvergreen Valley College
Rachel HinrichsIndiana University System - Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis
Linda ZuckermanLibrary Associates Training Institute
Kristin HallState University of New York System - Stony Brook
Marijn PostWageningen UR
David ShingletonNational War College
Rachel MartinezUniversity of Arizona
Materials by Discipline
- Archives and Special Collections (45)
- Cataloging and Classification (38)
- Citations and Style Guides (58)
- General (91)
- Information and Communication Technology Literacy (549)
- Information Retrieval (84)
- Information Technology (22)
- Intellectual Property and Plagiarism (76)
- Issues in Librarianship (48)
- Library Specialties (12)
- Professional Development (20)
- American Library Association
- Public Library Association
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Special Libraries Association
- American Association of School Librarians
- Library and Information Technology Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- Association for Library Collections & Technical Services
- Association for Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies
- Reference and User Services Association
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Library Leadership and Management Association
- Medical Library Association
Journals & Publications
- Journal or Publication Title Journal URL College and Research Libraries
- Library and Information Science Research
- Journal of Academic Researcher
- College and Research Library News
- Cataloging and Classification Quarterly
- Reference Services Review
- Library Hi Tech
- Library Management
- Library Quarterly
- Archival Science Journal of the Medical Library Association
- Journal of Library Administration
- Journal of Information Science
- Annual Review of Information Science and Technology
- Journal of Information Technology
- Public Library Quarterly
- Public Libraries Magazine
- Library Journal
- American Libraries
Library & Information Services on the Web
School libraries serve varied roles
Apr 25, 2018 01:37 PM PDT
Top Five Free Things to Do at Your Plano Public Library this May
Apr 25, 2018 12:18 PM PDT
An Art Student's “Cry Closet” At A University Is Going Viral Because People Are Relating To The ...
Apr 25, 2018 12:05 PM PDT
Free home improvement program offered at New Buffalo Library
Apr 25, 2018 11:22 AM PDT
HCCF awards over $100K to local non-profits
Apr 25, 2018 11:11 AM PDT
Student artist installs 'cry closet' at university library
Apr 25, 2018 09:52 AM PDT
Brooke Henderson keeps the art library running smoothly
Apr 25, 2018 09:41 AM PDT
Yami Gautam takes initiative to set up library for underprivileged children's education
Apr 25, 2018 09:18 AM PDT
Seattle Public Library is losing online educational apps, and its educational focus
Apr 25, 2018 09:07 AM PDT
Meet your farmer at the Acushnet Public Library
Apr 25, 2018 09:02 AM PDT
Tulare County Library branches in Lindsay, Exeter help people begin the citizenship process
Apr 25, 2018 08:56 AM PDT
Saint Vincent College library will be renovated, expanded
Apr 25, 2018 08:22 AM PDT
Bridgewater-Raritan Board of Education Approves Budget With 4 Percent Tax Increase
Apr 25, 2018 07:15 AM PDT
Yami Gautam helps set up a library in a remote village
Apr 25, 2018 06:41 AM PDT
Vector Solutions Acquires Convergence Training, Strengthening its Commitment to Delivering ...
Apr 25, 2018 06:18 AM PDT
The First Library in the Northern Countryside of Homs Opens Its Doors
Apr 25, 2018 05:45 AM PDT
Tri-Cities students use new techology to help another student
Apr 25, 2018 05:11 AM PDT
Oil boom cheers Texas town, but some worry about education
Apr 25, 2018 04:26 AM PDT
Lib & Info on Twitter
- Thank you, @JasonReynolds83! What a great message to students for School Library Month: Be yourself, don't let hate… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…2 hours ago | ALALibrary
- 10 Very Good Web Tools to Engage Students in Hands-on Activities in Class @medkh9 buff.ly/2HqrUUv3 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- Thanks for all you do to preserve ALA history, @ALA_Archives. #PreservationWeek #preswk twitter.com/ALA_Archives/s…3 hours ago | ALALibrary
- Want to discover how to cultivate a culture of learning with your library trustees?
Join @webjunction for a webina… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…4 hours ago | OCLC
- Are your patrons talking about @netflix's Wild Wild Country? Here are some books to suggest for them to read after… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…4 hours ago | ALALibrary
- Teaching in the Era of Bots: Students Need Humans Now More Than Ever @EdSurge buff.ly/2HrzgqT https://t.co/eLNoLTkP4P, photo: pic.twitter.com/eLNoLTkP4P4 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- Ten Most Popular #MOOCs Starting in May 2018 @classcentral buff.ly/2vJ50Cf6 hours ago | MERLOTorg
- Today: “Exploring, selecting and implementing a new library system: Practical tips from librarians.”… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…7 hours ago | OCLC
- From the archives (2017) for #PreservationWeek - Saving At-Risk Audiovisual Materials: Tips and resources for rehou… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…8 hours ago | amlibraries
- Attention school librarians! @usedgov is now accepting submissions for Innovative Approaches to Literacy grants. De… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…9 hours ago | ALALibrary