Library and Information Services Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Library and Information Services portal, an educational resource for information professionals.
Create a free account and begin using the learning materials, submitting your own materials for evaluation or those you find valuable on the web, and learning new ideas to help your teaching.
Research Roadmap is an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills. The tutorial covers the basics, including how to select a topic and develop research questions, select, search for, find, and evaluate information sources. It also covers the ethics of information use, including copyright and fair use, how to avoid plagiarism, and how to cite sources correctly.
The ConnectedLib Toolkit was created to help librarians incorporate digital media into their work with youth to...
Do Academic Libraries Protect Privacy in the Digital Age?
The library profession has a long history of safeguarding user privacy, but how well do academic libraries protect...
Open Practices for PNW Librarians
On May 11, 2018, Open Oregon Educational Resources hosted a two-hour online program for Pacific Northwest librarians to...
Using Student Outcomes Data in OER Courses
As OER programs mature, we’re starting to get more data on student outcomes – and not all of the results are positive....
Writing Information Literacy Assessment Plans: A Guide to Best Practice
This paper explains how academic librarians add value to the teaching and learning missions of their institutions though...
Characteristics of Programs of Information Literacy that Illustrate Best Practices: A Guideline
The “Characteristics of Programs of Information Literacy that Illustrate Best Practices" guideline articulates elements...
Credo InfoLit Learning Community
Credo Reference has an InfoLit Learning Community that is free and open to anyone. It links to field-based resources on...
Expanding Perspectives in Your Search
This tutorial challenges researchers to actively seek sources that push outside of their initial perspective. With a more...
Research impact of a journal, an article, an author
This web-based guide will help researchers, authors, and students to track and measure the impact of research, whether...
Literature Mapping: a tutorial
The interactive tutorial that allows to search and organize the literature for analysis and synthesis of educational...
Introduction to International Copyright Law
This article addresses international copyright law, which is a mix of copyright treaties and domestic copyright laws, and...
Citizen Science: Innovation in Open Science, Society and Policy
Citizen Science: Open Science, Society, and Policy is an excellent review of Citizen Science that brings together some of...
OER: A Field Guide for Academic Librarians
We intend this book to act as a guide writ large for would-be champions of OER, that anyone—called to action by the...
Preservation 101 is a free online textbook that provides a basic introduction to the concepts and standards used to build...
Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication
The Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication seeks to share useful innovations, both in thought and in...
College & Research Libraries
College & Research Libraries (C&RL) is the official scholarly research journal of the Association of College & Research...
Making Institutional Repositories Work
Quickly following what many expected to be a wholesale revolution in library practices, institutional repositories...
Meaningful Metrics: A 21st-Century Librarian’s Guide to Bibliometrics, Altmetrics, and Research Impact
What does it mean to have meaningful metrics in today’s complex higher education landscape? With a foreword by Heather...
A Guide on Academic Integrity for International Students
This guide on plagiarism for international students was developed using scholarly literature and research on the topic of...
Library Science 101: Honors Library Research Methods (Syllabus)
Syllabus used for Library Science 101: Library Research Methods Honors in Fall 2018 at East Los Angeles College. Course...
This guide is designed to help teach library research skills to introductory philosophy college students.
Web Literacy for Student Fact-Checkers
This is an unabashedly practical guide for the student fact-checker. It supplements generic information literacy with the...
This library guide provides research assistance in locating articles, evaluating information, selecting a research topic,...
This website provides librarian interview podcasts that facilitate conversations about the innovative people & ideas...
Andreea KosaCalifornia State University, Northridge
Liz ThompsonJames Madison University
Jessica NormanSouthern Alberta Institute of Technology
Kim BrownNorth Reading Public Schools
David ArredondoUniversity of Nebraska System - Kearney
Kayleen CoxUniversity of North Texas Health Science Center
Cindy GruwellSt. Cloud State University
Kim UnrauMedicine Hat College
Chris KoethChandler-Gilbert Community/Technical College
Andree ValdryCompton College (now El Camino)
Jill MahoneyWilliam Woods University
Diana Tedone-GoldstoneCañada College
Shane WhiteUniversity of Southern Indiana
Toni CarterAuburn University
Leigh-Ann ButlerUniversity of Ottawa
Chris LivingstonCalifornia State University, Bakersfield
Ariela McCaffreyConnecticut College
Maria Francisca MayoINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Denise ShereffUniversity of South Florida
Aline GoncalvesYukon College - Yukon is not listed as a province
Bruce BarronFlorida Atlantic University
Elizabeth McCormickRadford University
Robert BellOklahoma State University - Tulsa
Materials by Discipline
- Archives and Special Collections (46)
- Cataloging and Classification (38)
- Citations and Style Guides (58)
- General (90)
- Information and Communication Technology Literacy (544)
- Information Retrieval (87)
- Information Technology (22)
- Intellectual Property and Plagiarism (70)
- Issues in Librarianship (50)
- Library Specialties (12)
- Professional Development (23)
- American Library Association
- Public Library Association
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Special Libraries Association
- American Association of School Librarians
- Library and Information Technology Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- Association for Library Collections & Technical Services
- Association for Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies
- Reference and User Services Association
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Library Leadership and Management Association
- Medical Library Association
Journals & Publications
- Journal or Publication Title Journal URL College and Research Libraries
- Library and Information Science Research
- Journal of Academic Researcher
- College and Research Library News
- Cataloging and Classification Quarterly
- Reference Services Review
- Library Hi Tech
- Library Management
- Library Quarterly
- Archival Science Journal of the Medical Library Association
- Journal of Library Administration
- Journal of Information Science
- Annual Review of Information Science and Technology
- Journal of Information Technology
- Public Library Quarterly
- Public Libraries Magazine
- Library Journal
- American Libraries
Library & Information Services on the Web
On the Calendar
May 18, 2019 09:18 PM PDT
Explore the universe with library reading program
May 18, 2019 08:11 PM PDT
Proposal to shift MC library opposed
May 18, 2019 06:41 PM PDT
May 18, 2019 06:18 PM PDT
New this summer: “Rec It” Tuesdays will offer free fun activities in Chelsea
May 18, 2019 04:03 PM PDT
May 18, 2019 02:56 PM PDT
Drag Queen Story Time brings protesters, counter-protesters outside library
May 18, 2019 02:46 PM PDT
School district libraries see growth, more materials
May 18, 2019 01:48 PM PDT
County Office of Education names classified employee of the year winners, teacher of the year ...
May 18, 2019 01:03 PM PDT
Governor Lamont Launches 2019 Summer Reading Challenge
May 18, 2019 12:52 PM PDT
Leadership Charlotte focuses on literacy for all students
May 18, 2019 11:11 AM PDT
Education Notebook: Pacific Beach Middle Strings Concert set for May 28
May 18, 2019 08:00 AM PDT
Arsenault to explore role of French education at Charlottetown lecture
May 18, 2019 05:00 AM PDT
May 18, 2019 03:41 AM PDT
Town of Maiden to host special exhibit
May 18, 2019 02:00 AM PDT
Utterby community library unveiled in teacher's memory
May 17, 2019 11:45 PM PDT
Calendar of events
May 17, 2019 09:41 PM PDT
Lib & Info on Twitter
- Ever wonder what goes on behind the curtain on Capitol Hill? An ALA membership gives you access to @congressfdn vid… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…11 hours ago | ALALibrary
- RT @nypl: Want some more info on what library book #JohnWick was reading in John Wick: Chapter 3? We did some research for you! https://t.c…11 hours ago | ALALibrary
- What year was the first library school established? What percentage of MLIS grads are women? How much does a year o… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…12 hours ago | amlibraries
- Nice recap of ALA President @loidagarciafebo's Libraries = Strong Communities visit to Los Angeles!#LibrariesStrong twitter.com/LATW35/status/…12 hours ago | ALALibrary
- RT @NoahLenstra: Check out my new blog on why it’s fun (for libraries) to play with the YMCA!
h/t @ToledoLibrary @YMCA_Toledo for the feat…15 hours ago | ALALibrary
- RT @VPL: We're excited to share that our rooftop garden campaign won the John Cotton Dana Award for excellence in marketing from @ALALibrar…16 hours ago | ALALibrary
- Bookend: Tailor-Made Fundraising. Meet Sandra Vardell, a former board member at Jane Morgan Memorial Library in Cam… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…18 hours ago | amlibraries
- Living by the pen: British Library explores history of writing | @guardian
bddy.me/2Vue0CY18 hours ago | OCLC
- RT @WriteThatPhD: How to write a journal article for publication: a beginner's guide buff.ly/30lmQGV… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…23 hours ago | LISResearch
- RT @ciliplirg: New Report From RAND: “News in a Digital Age: Comparing the Presentation of News Information over Ti… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | LISResearch