Library and Information Services Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Library and Information Services portal, an educational resource for information professionals.
Create a free account and begin using the learning materials, submitting your own materials for evaluation or those you find valuable on the web, and learning new ideas to help your teaching.
Research Roadmap is an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills. The tutorial covers the basics, including how to select a topic and develop research questions, select, search for, find, and evaluate information sources. It also covers the ethics of information use, including copyright and fair use, how to avoid plagiarism, and how to cite sources correctly.
A Guide on Academic Integrity for International Students
This guide on plagiarism for international students was developed using scholarly literature and research on the topic of...
Library Science 101: Honors Library Research Methods (Syllabus)
Syllabus used for Library Science 101: Library Research Methods Honors in Fall 2018 at East Los Angeles College. Course...
This guide is designed to help teach library research skills to introductory philosophy college students.
Web Literacy for Student Fact-Checkers
This is an unabashedly practical guide for the student fact-checker. It supplements generic information literacy with the...
This library guide provides research assistance in locating articles, evaluating information, selecting a research topic,...
This website provides librarian interview podcasts that facilitate conversations about the innovative people & ideas...
Choosing & Using Sources: A Guide to Academic Research
Engaging graphics, compelling examples, and easy-to-understand explanations make Choosing and Using Sources: A Guide to...
Data Information Literacy
This book addresses data information literacy (particularly the data management life cycle), emphasizing the role of...
LibGuides: Types of Sources: Home
This library guide explains different types of sources (e.g., primary, secondary, tertiary, scholarly), and links to...
Library Data Analytics
This website serves as a centralized site for information on data analytics for library management.
Incorporating Computational Thinking into Library Graduate Course Goals and Objectives
This study examined how computational thinking concepts were incorporated into library science syllabi objectives, how...
Knowledge and Networks | SpringerLink
This book discusses a core question in many fields of the social sciences, namely how to create, share and adopt new...
The Atlas of New Librarianship Online
Describes a new librarianship based not on books and artifacts but on knowledge and learning; and he suggests a new...
Remote Capture: Digitising Documentary Heritage in Challenging Locations
This is a must-read how-to guide if you are planning to embark on a scholarly digitisation project. Tailored to the...
Access to Online Resources | SpringerLink
This book is published open access under a CC BY 4.0 licence.The book offers a concise guide for librarians, helping them...
Information Literacy: Searching in Scopus
This tutorial shows some of the specific features of the bibliographic database and search system Scopus. In this...
Open Science Training Handbook (ver 1)
The Open Science Training Handbook (ver. 1) is intended for anyone who wishes to host Open Science training events or...
U.S. Copyright Basics Tutorial
This lesson introduces the basics of U.S. copyright protection. Copyright is a form of legal protection that allows...
Public Librarians - BecomeALibrarian.org
A site that tells all the career of librarianship. "If you're looking for a job that is highly skilled, in demand and...
Information Literacy: PubMed
This tutorial is meant to show some of the specific features of the PubMed database and search system. In this module...
Habits of Mind Toolkit
This toolkit provides the foundational "habits of mind" or skills that underlie approaches to effectively interacting...
ChemSpider.com | Chemical Structure Database
ChemSpider is a free chemical structural database providing fast text and structure search access to over 63+ million...
CitizenScience.gov (USA) is an official government website designed to accelerate the use of crowdsourcing and Citizen...
Canadian School Libraries Research Archive – Scholarly and Practitioner Research about the School Library Learning Commons
The Canadian School Libraries Research Archive makes scholarly and practitioner research from all Treasure Mountain...
Katherine QuinnellAthens State University
Virginia DesoukyWest Virginia University
Brenda SmithThompson Rivers University*
Cristie FergusonPanola College
Geneen ClinkscalesJohnson C. Smith University
Sandra PesceSan Diego City College
Doreen HaugeMinnesota State Community and Technical Colleges
Evelyn BurgerMidlands Technical College
Anna NewmanWorcester Polytechnic Institute
Shannon BrooksSouthern Wesleyan University
Stephanie SmithFull Sail Real World Education
Dylan MartinLincoln University of Missouri
Jacqueline TidwellUniversity System of Georgia - University of Georgia
fred kabuyeKibogora polytechnic
Jason YamashitaUniversity of Hawaii - Leeward Community/Technical College
Jenny YapBerkely City College
Katharine HamiltonLos Angeles City College
ANTHI BALIOUUniversity of Macedonia
Wally GrotophorstGeorge Mason University
Margaret LincolnLakeview High School
Lauryn LehmanSaginaw Valley State University
Materials by Discipline
- Archives and Special Collections (45)
- Cataloging and Classification (38)
- Citations and Style Guides (58)
- General (89)
- Information and Communication Technology Literacy (550)
- Information Retrieval (87)
- Information Technology (22)
- Intellectual Property and Plagiarism (69)
- Issues in Librarianship (49)
- Library Specialties (12)
- Professional Development (22)
- American Library Association
- Public Library Association
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Special Libraries Association
- American Association of School Librarians
- Library and Information Technology Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- Association for Library Collections & Technical Services
- Association for Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies
- Reference and User Services Association
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Library Leadership and Management Association
- Medical Library Association
Journals & Publications
- Journal or Publication Title Journal URL College and Research Libraries
- Library and Information Science Research
- Journal of Academic Researcher
- College and Research Library News
- Cataloging and Classification Quarterly
- Reference Services Review
- Library Hi Tech
- Library Management
- Library Quarterly
- Archival Science Journal of the Medical Library Association
- Journal of Library Administration
- Journal of Information Science
- Annual Review of Information Science and Technology
- Journal of Information Technology
- Public Library Quarterly
- Public Libraries Magazine
- Library Journal
- American Libraries
Library & Information Services on the Web
Library book sale brings in more than $10000
Nov 13, 2018 08:07 AM PST
Ghana Library Authority revives 20-yr broken union with Book Aid Int.
Nov 13, 2018 03:37 AM PST
Public Meetings: Nov, 13-14, 2018
Nov 13, 2018 03:03 AM PST
ECTC library to receive 21st-century updates
Nov 12, 2018 11:18 PM PST
CARLOS NELSON: 'My goal ... is to provide stability for the district'
Nov 12, 2018 10:11 PM PST
Connecting veterans to resources through the Library
Nov 12, 2018 06:03 PM PST
Cripple Creek-Victor Board of Education terminates Superintendent Leslie Lindauer
Nov 12, 2018 01:22 PM PST
North Long Beach could get higher education center
Nov 12, 2018 07:00 AM PST
Lib & Info on Twitter
- RT @InfoSchoolSheff: Dr @PaulJReilly has had an article published in #Journalism on the role of ideology in the pra… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…14 minutes ago | LISResearch
- RT @LIBEReurope: Do you follow LIBER? Are you interested in what we do? Have ideas for us? Please tell us what you… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…14 minutes ago | LISResearch
- RT @hazelh: Something to share re library assessment/evaluation/impact/value or evidence-based practice? Submit yr… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…15 minutes ago | LISResearch
- RT @LSEImpactBlog: New: Towards more consistent, transparent, and multi-purpose national bibliographic databases fo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…17 minutes ago | LISResearch
- RT @ciliplirg: [Call for Papers] 10th International Evidence Based Library and Information Practice Conference.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…17 minutes ago | LISResearch
- RT @CilipBenevFund: So pleased to announce that 175 @CILIPinfo members donated to @CilipBenevFund when they renewed… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…23 minutes ago | LISResearch
- RT @LSEImpactBlog: A librarian perspective on Sci-Hub: the true solution to the scholarly communication crisis is i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…26 minutes ago | LISResearch
- RT @hazelh: Catch up on all the #infosci conference activity in Vancouver so far this week by checking #asist2018 &… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…26 minutes ago | LISResearch
- Evolving the Online Degree @classcentral buff.ly/2QwHyOy https://t.co/ftwO1HpYKB, photo: pic.twitter.com/ftwO1HpYKB32 minutes ago | MERLOTorg
- Your library has everything you need to discover and explore enchanting new worlds. Help spread the magic by suppor… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…39 minutes ago | ALALibrary