Library and Information Services Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Library and Information Services portal, an educational resource for information professionals.
Create a free account and begin using the learning materials, submitting your own materials for evaluation or those you find valuable on the web, and learning new ideas to help your teaching.
Research Roadmap is an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills. The tutorial covers the basics, including how to select a topic and develop research questions, select, search for, find, and evaluate information sources. It also covers the ethics of information use, including copyright and fair use, how to avoid plagiarism, and how to cite sources correctly.
Information Literacy Combined Rubric: Mapping the ACRL Framework to the AAC&amp;U VALUE Rubric (Final Report of the Information Literacy Rubric Task Force)
This rubric maps the ACRL framework onto the AACU VALUE rubric.
Finding a Research Mentor or Project
Once you've decided to do research, the next step is to make a list of research opportunities that interest you! By the...
Research Logistics at UCLA Before getting started with research, it's important to know the difference between faculty-...
APA 7th edition Tutorial
This interactive APA tutorial is meant to serve as an introduction and overview of APA Style, 7th edition. This is by no...
Assessment of Information Literacy: Lessons from the Higher Education Assessment Movement
This paper reviews higher education assessment methods of information literacy; identifies useful theories and practices;...
OER Activity Sourcebook – Open Textbook
This is an evolving resource intended to provide inspiration for instructors who use Pressbooks and Open Educational...
Student Success for community college students
This guide will help students at Nashville State Community College succussfully complete a college degree and also help...
Learning About Academic Integrity Through Experiential Learning
Purpose: This report highlights ways in which academic integrity can be taught through experiential learning activities....
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Compliance Guideline
The EU General Data Protection Regulation went into effect on May 25, 2018, replacing the Data Protection Directive...
Open Educational Resources (OERs)
A library guide for faculty explaining what Open Educational Resources (OERs) are and how to find, evaluate and create...
Guidelines for Primary Source Literacy
These guidelines articulate the range of knowledge, skills, and abilities required to effectively use primary sources....
Information Literacy identification of sources
Student exercise to identify books, articles, websites, other sources.
Applying library values to emerging technology
Decision-making in the age of open access, maker spaces, and the ever-changing library
Information literacy assessment pre- and post-test
This assessment tool can be used to determine information literacy before and after a short course or other instruction.
Using Google Scholar
Using Google Scholar to find sources for your research can yield you a lot of articles, journals, books, and more. But...
Finding Scholarly Articles
Ready to get the most out of your article search? This tutorial will help you successfully navigate search filters,...
Developing Research Questions and Creating Keywords
In these activities, you will learn strategies for generating research questions and turning those questions into...
Introduction to Design Equity
Why do affluent, liberal, and design-rich cities like Minneapolis have some of the biggest racial disparities in the...
Avoiding Plagiarism and Citing Sources
Avoiding plagiarism can be more tricky than it seems at first glance. Complete this activity to learn strategies for...
California Community College Librarian Survey on Open Educational Resources (OER)
The Michelson 20MM Foundation surveyed community college librarians throughout the state of California in 2019 about...
In the Library with the Lead Pipe
An open access, open peer-reviewed journal, founded and run by an international team of librarians working in various...
One Perfect Source?
Your topic seemed so great! So why can't you find any information on it? If you're looking for an all-in-one source that...
Research Guides: Tell Your Story - Impact & Engagement: Home
For researchers, scholars, teachers, extension agents, students, and others, this guide highlights options to share your...
Copyright Essentials: Introduction
Copyright Essentials: Introduction
DeLisa Minor HarrisFisk University
Marquel AnteolaTexas Wesleyan University
Tammy LoweryArmy University
Jason LeeCape Breton University
Heather Walker-WhiteSouthern New Hampshire University
Angela OkpalaNational Open University of Nigeria
Madukaku AnuduDalhousie University
Tengku SuhaimiMonash University Malaysia
Anna FinkelsternKibbutzim College of Education
Faustino HernandezCo-op NFUCA
Sarah FeehanUniversity of Westminster
Anastasia ChiuNew York University
Denice LewisWake Forest University
Barbara MannUniversity System of Georgia - Georgia Gwinnett College
Pat LoriaUniversity of Western Sydney
Analiza FraneBatangas State University
Alberto RomeroSanta Monica City College
Allison Jennings-RocheUniversity of Baltimore
Wendy MannGeorge Mason University
Jimmi Fischer RushingNorth Harris Montgomery County Community/Technical College District
Amber D'AmbrosioColorado Mesa University
Stacey BrownColorado Mesa University
Matthew QuilitzschSimmons College
Materials by Discipline
- Archives and Special Collections (47)
- Cataloging and Classification (52)
- Citations and Style Guides (58)
- Information and Communication Technology Literacy (539)
- Information Retrieval (97)
- Information Technology (25)
- Intellectual Property and Plagiarism (70)
- Issues in Librarianship (50)
- Library Specialties (13)
- Professional Development (24)
- American Library Association
- Public Library Association
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Special Libraries Association
- American Association of School Librarians
- Library and Information Technology Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- Association for Library Collections & Technical Services
- Association for Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies
- Reference and User Services Association
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Library Leadership and Management Association
- Medical Library Association
Journals & Publications
- Journal or Publication Title Journal URL College and Research Libraries
- Library and Information Science Research
- Journal of Academic Researcher
- College and Research Library News
- Cataloging and Classification Quarterly
- Reference Services Review
- Library Hi Tech
- Library Management
- Library Quarterly
- Archival Science Journal of the Medical Library Association
- Journal of Library Administration
- Journal of Information Science
- Annual Review of Information Science and Technology
- Journal of Information Technology
- Public Library Quarterly
- Public Libraries Magazine
- Library Journal
- American Libraries
Library & Information Services on the Web
Lib & Info on Twitter
- ALA News: ‘Responding When COVID Comes to Your Library: Learning from Real Stories’ webinar on Sept. 28 to explore… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- ALA News: ALA awards additional 100 Library Census Equity Fund grants bit.ly/3hU0kfQ
- ALA News: ALA resource site assists libraries with UN Sustainable Development Goals bit.ly/32UaCIE
- COVID-19: The first 100 days of US news coverage: Latest Library Links bit.ly/3clyNT6
- It’s #NationalVoterRegistrationDay, but we can’t forget about the #2020Census! Once you’ve confirmed your voter reg… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…13 hours ago | ALALibrary
- RT @LibraryPolicy: Congratulations to our newly-appointed Register of Copyrights Shira Perlmutter. ALA supports continued efforts to moder…14 hours ago | ALALibrary
- The mysterious librarian of “Hilda”: Latest Library Links bit.ly/32VF8ln14 hours ago | amlibraries
- IFLA 2021 World Library and Information Congress will be virtual: Latest Library Links bit.ly/2RRMYWQ14 hours ago | amlibraries
- Don't miss out on this evening's #BookmarksNetflix panel discussion with @wearealsc and @BC_ALA! Join them as they… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…15 hours ago | ALALibrary
- Rare books from London heist found under floor in Romania: Latest Library Links bit.ly/3cljqKo15 hours ago | amlibraries