Library and Information Services Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Library and Information Services portal, an educational resource for information professionals.
Create a free account and begin using the learning materials, submitting your own materials for evaluation or those you find valuable on the web, and learning new ideas to help your teaching.
Research Roadmap is an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills. The tutorial covers the basics, including how to select a topic and develop research questions, select, search for, find, and evaluate information sources. It also covers the ethics of information use, including copyright and fair use, how to avoid plagiarism, and how to cite sources correctly.
Introduction to International Copyright Law
This article addresses international copyright law, which is a mix of copyright treaties and domestic copyright laws, and...
Citizen Science: Innovation in Open Science, Society and Policy
Citizen Science: Open Science, Society, and Policy is an excellent review of Citizen Science that brings together some of...
OER: A Field Guide for Academic Librarians
We intend this book to act as a guide writ large for would-be champions of OER, that anyone—called to action by the...
Preservation 101 is a free online textbook that provides a basic introduction to the concepts and standards used to build...
Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication
The Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication seeks to share useful innovations, both in thought and in...
College & Research Libraries
College & Research Libraries (C&RL) is the official scholarly research journal of the Association of College & Research...
Making Institutional Repositories Work
Quickly following what many expected to be a wholesale revolution in library practices, institutional repositories...
Meaningful Metrics: A 21st-Century Librarian’s Guide to Bibliometrics, Altmetrics, and Research Impact
What does it mean to have meaningful metrics in today’s complex higher education landscape? With a foreword by Heather...
A Guide on Academic Integrity for International Students
This guide on plagiarism for international students was developed using scholarly literature and research on the topic of...
Library Science 101: Honors Library Research Methods (Syllabus)
Syllabus used for Library Science 101: Library Research Methods Honors in Fall 2018 at East Los Angeles College. Course...
This guide is designed to help teach library research skills to introductory philosophy college students.
Web Literacy for Student Fact-Checkers
This is an unabashedly practical guide for the student fact-checker. It supplements generic information literacy with the...
This library guide provides research assistance in locating articles, evaluating information, selecting a research topic,...
This website provides librarian interview podcasts that facilitate conversations about the innovative people & ideas...
Choosing & Using Sources: A Guide to Academic Research
Engaging graphics, compelling examples, and easy-to-understand explanations make Choosing and Using Sources: A Guide to...
Data Information Literacy
This book addresses data information literacy (particularly the data management life cycle), emphasizing the role of...
LibGuides: Types of Sources: Home
This library guide explains different types of sources (e.g., primary, secondary, tertiary, scholarly), and links to...
Library Data Analytics
This website serves as a centralized site for information on data analytics for library management.
Incorporating Computational Thinking into Library Graduate Course Goals and Objectives
This study examined how computational thinking concepts were incorporated into library science syllabi objectives, how...
Knowledge and Networks | SpringerLink
This book discusses a core question in many fields of the social sciences, namely how to create, share and adopt new...
The Atlas of New Librarianship Online
Describes a new librarianship based not on books and artifacts but on knowledge and learning; and he suggests a new...
Remote Capture: Digitising Documentary Heritage in Challenging Locations
This is a must-read how-to guide if you are planning to embark on a scholarly digitisation project. Tailored to the...
Access to Online Resources | SpringerLink
This book is published open access under a CC BY 4.0 licence.The book offers a concise guide for librarians, helping them...
Information Literacy: Searching in Scopus
This tutorial shows some of the specific features of the bibliographic database and search system Scopus. In this...
Chris PaulLocus Rags
Tim ReamFullerton College
Emily KingCommunity/Technical College of Southern Nevada
Carmen Orth-AlfieUniversity of Kansas
Charlotte FordUniversity of Montevallo
Diana MorontaNew York Institute of Technology
Brad DoerksenUniversity of Regina*
Alison FosterGrant MacEwan University
Johnnie ZolmanFarmville Public Library
Jin An-DunningCollege of the Desert
Micheal KottMorton College
Katherine QuinnellAthens State University
Virginia DesoukyWest Virginia University
Brenda SmithThompson Rivers University*
Cristie FergusonPanola College
Geneen ClinkscalesJohnson C. Smith University
Sandra PesceSan Diego City College
Doreen HaugeMinnesota State Community and Technical Colleges
Evelyn BurgerMidlands Technical College
Anna NewmanWorcester Polytechnic Institute
Shannon BrooksSouthern Wesleyan University
Materials by Discipline
- Archives and Special Collections (46)
- Cataloging and Classification (38)
- Citations and Style Guides (58)
- General (90)
- Information and Communication Technology Literacy (547)
- Information Retrieval (87)
- Information Technology (22)
- Intellectual Property and Plagiarism (70)
- Issues in Librarianship (49)
- Library Specialties (12)
- Professional Development (22)
- American Library Association
- Public Library Association
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Special Libraries Association
- American Association of School Librarians
- Library and Information Technology Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- Association for Library Collections & Technical Services
- Association for Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies
- Reference and User Services Association
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Library Leadership and Management Association
- Medical Library Association
Journals & Publications
- Journal or Publication Title Journal URL College and Research Libraries
- Library and Information Science Research
- Journal of Academic Researcher
- College and Research Library News
- Cataloging and Classification Quarterly
- Reference Services Review
- Library Hi Tech
- Library Management
- Library Quarterly
- Archival Science Journal of the Medical Library Association
- Journal of Library Administration
- Journal of Information Science
- Annual Review of Information Science and Technology
- Journal of Information Technology
- Public Library Quarterly
- Public Libraries Magazine
- Library Journal
- American Libraries
Library & Information Services on the Web
Lib & Info on Twitter
- The Mashpee Public Library has a full schedule of events for people of all ages— including technology training clas… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | ALALibrary
- Hey #Seattle, please join us at a rally to celebrate #libraries with ALA President @loidagarciafebo — 11 a.m. on Sa… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | ALALibrary
- In this exclusive online Spotlight, see how the University of South Carolina's unique Library Scholar Program is wo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | amlibraries
- Studies show that too much time online leads to increased loneliness and depression. Library programs can help! Joi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | OCLC
- Thanks to an #IMLSgrant, @SHPublicLibrary and Scappoose Public Library are merging their catalogs! Now, patrons of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…7 hours ago | ALALibrary
- Final hours to take advantage of early bird pricing for #OCLCRSC19! Prices increase at midnight. oc.lc/rsc199 hours ago | OCLC
- RT @RickSteves: Libraries are the great equalizer. Everybody goes into them — powerful or not, rich or not — and they realize, man, there i…9 hours ago | amlibraries
- Heading to Seattle for #alamw19 next week? The latest episode of @DeweyDecibel has recommendations on what to see,… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…10 hours ago | amlibraries
- Newsmaker Rick Steves: @amlibraries spoke with the travel expert and #alamw19 speaker about our culture of fear, th… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…10 hours ago | ALALibrary
- RT @EprintsELIS: Scholarly reputation building in the digital age: an activity-specific approach. Review article… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…12 hours ago | LISResearch