Culture of Safety Part Three: Why Do Thinks Go Wrong?
- Explain the significance of complex adaptive systems to a healthcare culture of safety.
- Summarize the factors that make nursing work complex.
- Explain the influence of human performance factors on nursing work.
- use the Swiss Cheese Model to demonstrate how errors occur.
- Demonstrate how the complexity of healthare organizations and nursing work can interact with human performance factors to produce errors.
The learning resource includes a printable handout with references and a short self-test. The content author was Patricia Ebright, faculty at the Indiana University School of Nursing. The project is a component of NEAT (Nursing Education and Technology).