Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold, Health Sciences Editor at email@example.com.
Author Jenn Cusick's Post-Secondary Peer Support Training Curriculum, an Open Education Resource (OER) textbook, is our feature in the Health Sciences showcase.
Post-Secondary Peer Support Training Curriculum includes a facilitator's guide. This adaptable training resource covers foundational peer support training for post-secondary students with ways to respond to peers with the core values of peer support.
Peer support is an evidence-based service model used in many different sectors across British Columbia. This document includes common uses of peer support in B.C., including by health authorities and community-based organizations. We will also look at the utilization of peer support in post-secondary institutions and share some ideas and guidelines for integrating peer support into existing student service programs.
Currently, most health authorities in B.C. and several non-profits have included peer support in their service delivery for people with mental health and substance use issues.
Though the training mentioned above was for mental health and substance use community programs, peer support is also becoming more common in workplaces. Additionally, educators may incorporate some strategies to promote a sense of belonging and encourage students. Some workplace initiatives include peer support programs for those working high-stress jobs, such as nursing and first responders. There are also peer support programs or groups in B.C. for people struggling with eating disorders and health issues, including cancer and diabetes. Cusick explains that peer-support interventions have a wide variety of applications.
The link to Jenn Cusick's Post-Secondary Peer Support Training Curriculum
Virology Conference | Emerging Diseases Conference | Netherlands | 2023
The 18th International Conference on Virology, Emerging Diseases & Vaccines is to be held on August 09-10, 2023...
ResponDog (by ChemVantage LLC) is an LTI app that works with your learning management system to create in-class audience...
This short presentation is based on an open source material textbook, Enviornmental Biology by Mathew R. Fisher. It...
Picture Pneumonic Study Aid for All Health Science Majors
Picmonic is a mobile app that is available for both Android and IOS. It is free of charge however included are in-app...
NCLEX-RN Full Practice Test - 1 | 2023 | 75 Questions with Explained Answers and timer
This NCLEX - RN Practice Exam Contains 75 questions with Explained Answers. All the questions are multiple-choice...
Website describing Wernike's area of the brain and its influence on language production
ODU School of Nursing MEN's Initiative
An Old Dominion University School of Nursing Organization that aims to encourage the growth of male nurses, help the...
International End of Life Doula Association
If you feel a calling to serve the dying, or you just want to know more about best practices in end-of-life care, the...
The End-of-life Doula
A primer on the role these professionals play at the bedside and for family members and caregivers.
Nurse Burnout and Patient Satisfaction
Amid a national nurse shortage, there is growing concern that high levels of nurse burnout could adversely affect patient...
Use of Ventricular Assist Devices and Heart Transplantation for Advanced Heart Failure
Abstract There are only 2 treatments for the thousands of patients who progress to the most advanced form of heart...
Case Study: The Smart Choice for Prevention of Recurrent Venous Thromboembolism
A 34-year-old woman presents for follow-up after completion of six months of therapeutic anticoagulation for a deep...
Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) Pathophysiology, Nursing, Treatment, Symptoms | Heart Failure Part 1
Congestive heart failure (congestive heart failure CHF) pathophysiology, treatments, and symptoms nursing lecture on...
Introduction Neutropenia is defined as the absolute neutrophil count (ANC) of <1.5 x 109/L, with the exception of...
Incentive Spirometer: Purpose, Goals, & How To Use
Learn about incentive spirometry in nursing. What is an incentive spirometer, how do I use it, and what are the benefits?
What to know about Next Generation NCLEX®
Learn how to develop your student’s clinical judgment and prepare them to pass the Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) the first...
Next Generation NCLEX (NGN) | NCLEX
The NCLEX is the world’s premier licensure exam and uses computerized adaptive testing (CAT) technology to deliver the...
7 NCLEX Prep Resources You Should Know
After completing nursing school, nursing graduates must take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) to...
Vaccine Schedules App | CDC
The app visually mimics the printed schedules, which are reviewed and published annually. Users can identify correct...
Straight A Nursing Podcasts
Straight A Nursing Podcasts Take your studying on-the-go with weekly episodes covering all aspects of nursing school....
Pediatric issues Presentation on Sex and Technology
A powerpoint on the issues with sex and technology in children
A project on the Dash Diet. WHICH IS A DIETARY APPROACH TO STOP HYPERTENSION (DASH) IS AN OVERALL EATING PLAN GEARED TO...
Proper Hand Hygiene Pamphlet
Pamphlet on hand hygine for healthcare workers.
Patient education: Type 2 diabetes: Overview (Beyond the Basics)
Evidence-based interventions can promote early diagnosis of diabetes, prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes, and...
Meridia MedicalMeridia Medical
iracema spadaccinoRowan University
Alina SeltzStanford University
Lunettes de compétitionalaksin
Valentina EmilyINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Francisco Alarcon-ChaidezHouston Community/Technical College System
Bridgeway MedicalUAE authority
Rohan JadhavCalifornia State University, Fresno
Rachelle DyeMississippi College
Zia Medical CenterMedical
Get Ex Back For GoodGet Ex Back For Good
Kacy NarvarteOld Dominion University
Ashley GriffinOld Dominion University
pcloudy onlineUniversity of Alaska Fairbanks - Northwest
Nicholas MoweryOld Dominion University
Dajah HarrisOld Dominion University
Chloe PayneOld Dominion University
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (486)
- Cardiology (216)
- COVID, SARS, MERS (42)
- Dentistry (100)
- Dermatology (40)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (72)
- Endocrinology (109)
- Environmental Health (2)
- Epidemiology (113)
- Exercise Science (49)
- Gastroenterology (127)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (256)
- Geriatrics (75)
- Healthcare Administration (152)
- Healthcare Disparities/Inequities (15)
- Healthcare-general (2)
- Hematology (101)
- Internal Medicine (75)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (64)
- Mental Health (574)
- Nephrology (104)
- Neurology (340)
- Nursing Education (261)
- Nursing (1592)
- Nutrition (216)
- OB and Gyn (276)
- Ophthalmology (43)
- Orthopedics (171)
- Other (318)
- Pathology (42)
- Pediatrics (174)
- Pharmacy (152)
- Preventive Medicine (33)
- Public Health (608)
- Pulmonary Medicine (55)
- Radiology (74)
- Respiratory Therapy (7)
- Rheumatology (8)
- Sports Medicine (28)
- Surgery (225)
- Therapeutics (42)
- Toxicology (23)
- Veterinary Medicine (57)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- American Holistic Nurses Association
- National League for Nursing
Health Sciences on the Web
Health Sciences on Twitter
- RT @BorjadelPozoCr1: I am humble and equally excited to be invited as keynote speaker to talk all things physical activity and cognition at…4 minutes ago | ACSMNews
- March is National Nutrition Month 🍎🥑🥩🥛
Until the end of the month, ACSM is giving you the opportunity to save 25% o… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…28 minutes ago | ACSMNews
- Current Issue: The Use of Educational Technology in Undergraduate and Postgraduate Nursing and Midwifery Education:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | CIN_online
- RT @FelicianKitole: Our new publication is out on @equityhealthj @BioMedCentral under @SpringerNature. Explore new insights on Tanzania’s s…3 hours ago | BioMedCentral
- Questions about past #mentalhealth care can deter doctors from getting care themselves. Find out how… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- This AMA member personally saw the consequences of the old race-based eGFR equation and now, professionally, advoca… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Here is how #M4s can gain perspective and prepare for the transition to #residency after #medschool. spr.ly/6018O6Mbn10 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- This study by Baez et al., aimed to investigate the associations between kinesiophobia, knee abduction angle during… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…11 hours ago | MSSEonline
- When experienced over a long period of time, stress can negatively impact your mind and body. Taking steps to reduc… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…13 hours ago | APA
- Having a sense of humor and finding time to have a good laugh could be keys to aging in good health. Learn how here. spr.ly/6010O6MuQ13 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn