Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Jamie Murphy's OER textbook for Transitions to Professional Nursing is featured in the Health Sciences showcase. The text is for students transitioning from an associate degree education to a baccalaureate degree. Content includes a broad overview of the nursing profession, the role of accrediting and professional organizations with a strong focus on the American Nurses Association’s foundational documents. The competencies of the Standards of Professional Practice and the Code of Ethics are weaved throughout the text.
Topics covered in this text include professional nursing practice, baccalaureate education, healthcare in the 21st century, autonomy and accountability, nursing philosophy, professional development, communication, interprofessional collaboration, critical thinking, introduction to evidence-based practice, and nursing leadership and theory.
Biobattery-powered microneedle patch can deliver drugs and procure testing samples
A pain-free, organic and biodegradable drug delivery patch may be on the horizon for home health care patients soon....
How To Draw Blood Like A Pro: Step-By-Step Guide
Step by step guide to drawing blood for nursing students.
(PDF) Phalogenics Review: Phalogenic Traction Exercises Method Review PDF - Does It Work?
CLICK HERE - OFFICIAL WEBSITE Phalogenics is an online pen!s exercise program that will help you enlarge pen!s size,...
COVID-19 and the Social Work Response â The Need for Long-Term Solutions â Social Work Today
Social workers in all areas of the profession have had to rethink service delivery options to accommodate a life in...
Strategies for sustaining and enhancing nursing students’ engagement in academic and clinical settings: a narrative review
Students’ engagement in academic-related learning activities is one of the important determinants of students’ success....
How to Prioritize Your Mental Health in 2021 | Lifeworks Counseling Center
From the global pandemic to civil unrest, 2020 was full of moments that were draining for so many people. In times of...
The State of Mental Health in America
As the pandemic relentlessly persists, we are seeing the highest levels of anxiety and depression reported since the...
10 global health issues to track in 2021
2020 was a devastating year for global health. Health services in all regions are struggling to both tackle COVID-19, and...
Common NICU Diagnoses for Parents to Reference
Common reasons for a NICU stay, conditions, what causes them, how they're diagnosed, and how they're treated
Treatment plan for patients with acute illness
This Reusable Learning Object can be used to learn the management of acute illness in primary care. Student will be able...
Principles of Family Medicine
This Reusable Learning Object will help you to understand the principles of family medicine. Examples of cases will be...
Prescription Writing: Back to Basics
This Reusable Learning Object will teach you the basics of writing a prescription. At the end of this module, you will be...
Learning Objective: At the end of this Reusable Learning Object, students should be able to search for literature and...
Factors Affecting Nutrition in the Older Person
This Reusable Learning Object describes factors that affect nutrition in the older person. This includes medical,...
Growth Faltering in Children
This Reusable Learning Object illustrates the aetiology of growth faltering in children via case illustration
Identifying Challenging Behaviours in Healthcare Settings
Learning Objective: Identify challenging behavior and its triggering factors in healthcare settings
COVID-19 vaccine guidelines prioritize people with type 2 diabetes over type 1. Why?
The CDC’s interpretation of risk differs from the decision made by UK health officials to include both type 1 and type 2...
New Diabetes Cases Linked to Covid-19
Researchers don’t understand exactly how the disease might trigger Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, or whether the cases are...
Breast cancer now most common form of cancer: WHO taking action
The global cancer landscape is changing, according to WHO experts, on the eve of World Cancer Day 2021. Breast cancer has...
Record Drop in Cancer Mortality for Second Straight Year Due to Improved Lung Cancer Treatment Reported in ‘Cancer Statistics, 2021’ - The ASCO Post
Lung cancer is the most common cause of cancer death, accounting for more deaths than breast, prostate, and colorectal...
American Cancer Society 2021 Statistics Report Shows Continuous Decline in Cancer Mortality Rate, Illuminates Disease-Specific Trends - Cancer Therapy Advisor
A new report from the American Cancer Society (ACS) estimates the cancer diagnoses and deaths expected in 2021 and...
COVID-19 and alcohol use
Life has changed dramatically since March when communities began enacting stay-at-home orders to slow the spread of...
COVID-19 and Your Health
People with moderate to severe asthma may be at higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19. COVID-19 can affect your...
The Student's Guide to Nutrition - Best Colleges
Understanding the hows and whys of healthy eating can help set you up for a lifetime of healthy eating habits. A...
Dr. Jean Collins DNPPasco-Hernando Community/Technical College
Tameralee SandersUniversity of Pikeville
Gursehaj LongiaMcMaster University
Richard PanekSpectrum Health
Caroline LaneOld Dominion University
Beena MukteshSilver Leaf Fertility Centre
daniel kardasHenry Ford Continuing education
Matthew B. CrossTexas Woman's University
Nick MawaniORCD Canada Inc.
Margaret MatthewsEast Carolina University
Rebekah BollerOld Dominion University
Michael ChanALBERTA HEALTH SERVICES
Jennifer MonistereLa workforce
Lauren MorseUniversity of Ottawa
Shavae WardOld Dominion University
Marie Dione SacdalanUniversity of the Philippines
Riley HallOld Dominion University
Breanna WoodOld Dominion University
M BOld Dominion University
Chung Ting ChenRiverside Community/Technical College
BITLIAN YEEOpen University Malaysia
Andrea HawkinsonNestle health science
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (474)
- Cardiology (206)
- Dentistry (59)
- Dermatology (38)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (70)
- Endocrinology (101)
- Epidemiology (91)
- Exercise Science (39)
- Gastroenterology (126)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (252)
- Geriatrics (64)
- Healthcare Administration (51)
- Hematology (91)
- Internal Medicine (72)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (50)
- Mental Health (551)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (328)
- Nursing Education (186)
- Nursing (1027)
- Nutrition (178)
- OB and Gyn (248)
- Ophthalmology (42)
- Orthopedics (131)
- Other (272)
- Pathology (37)
- Pediatrics (156)
- Pharmacy (138)
- Preventive Medicine (30)
- Public Health (493)
- Pulmonary Medicine (52)
- Radiology (74)
- Rheumatology (7)
- Sports Medicine (26)
- Surgery (220)
- Therapeutics (35)
- Toxicology (19)
- Veterinary Medicine (34)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
Health Sciences on the Web
Public Health Officials Announce 1577 New Cases of Coronavirus Disease | IDPH
Mar 03, 2021 04:18 AM PST
Guided Biofilm Therapy Market: Rise in Prevalence of Dental or Oral Diseases is expected to drive ...
Mar 03, 2021 01:42 AM PST
Dr. Oz springs into physician mode to help save man who collapsed at airport
Mar 02, 2021 09:30 PM PST
Journey Therapy opens second location
Mar 02, 2021 09:10 PM PST
Student gains hands-on sports medicine experience
Mar 02, 2021 09:03 PM PST
Cars Vandalized, Houses Picketed & Dogs Poisoned: Public Health Workers Say They Need ...
Mar 02, 2021 07:45 PM PST
PHMDC issues new public health order, increases gathering capacities
Mar 02, 2021 07:22 PM PST
Utah Legislature passes bill to expand scope of physician assistants
Mar 02, 2021 07:16 PM PST
Office of Public Health Science (OPHS)
Mar 02, 2021 06:37 PM PST
Colorado lawmakers advance bill broadening doxing protections for public health workers
Mar 02, 2021 05:30 PM PST
Improve your health and happiness with hormone therapy
Mar 02, 2021 04:33 PM PST
Santa Clara County enters the red tier on Wednesday, loosening public health restrictions
Mar 02, 2021 04:00 PM PST
Mayor McLean issues new public health order easing some COVID-19 restrictions on large ...
Mar 02, 2021 03:37 PM PST
Public Health Emergency Order No. 20-15
Mar 02, 2021 03:26 PM PST
Guelph Massage Therapy | Health & Performance Centre |
Mar 02, 2021 03:11 PM PST
-educated community health workers key to COVID-19 response
Mar 02, 2021 02:52 PM PST
Public Health Confirms 9 New COVID-19 Cases, Warns Humboldt Could Move Back into Purple ...
Mar 02, 2021 02:41 PM PST
Health Sciences on Twitter
- In case you missed it, watch our latest Prioritizing Equity panel discussing how trauma-informed approaches impact… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…49 minutes ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- #Casereport: electrocardiographic findings of an asymptomatic older adult with a heart rate of 54 beats/min who was… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…49 minutes ago | JAMAInternalMed
- The Carbohydrate-Insulin Model of Obesity ja.ma/2JSpNL9 #MostCited1 hour ago | JAMAInternalMed
- While put on hold last year due to #COVID19, there is a chance that away rotations could resume for #medstudents in… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- For high school students, the motivation to do well in class can change over time—and generally for the better, sug… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | APA
- Check out the 17 standards of practice excellence for leading in the healthcare community through ANA’s new Correct… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | ANANursingWorld
- High-intensity interval exercise (HIIE) has been the darling of the fitness world for the better part of the past d… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | Human_Kinetics
- Like childhood vax rates during the pandemic, @CDCgov finds decline in receipt of vaccines by older adults. Learn… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | pharmacists
- #ArticlesInPress SK channel blockade prevents hypoxia-induced ventricular arrhythmias through inhibition of Ca2+/v… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | ajpheartcirc
- Authors developed model of left ventricular systemic circulation + coronary perfusion with flow regulation and foun… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | ajpheartcirc