Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Jamie Murphy's OER textbook for Transitions to Professional Nursing is featured in the Health Sciences showcase. The text is for students transitioning from an associate degree education to a baccalaureate degree. Content includes a broad overview of the nursing profession, the role of accrediting and professional organizations with a strong focus on the American Nurses Association’s foundational documents. The competencies of the Standards of Professional Practice and the Code of Ethics are weaved throughout the text.
Topics covered in this text include professional nursing practice, baccalaureate education, healthcare in the 21st century, autonomy and accountability, nursing philosophy, professional development, communication, interprofessional collaboration, critical thinking, introduction to evidence-based practice, and nursing leadership and theory.
Compassionate Care: Who Care for the Caregiver
Article linked to compaassion fatigue and nurses. Self care, compassion satisfaction and overrall well-being included in...
Reflecting on the Concept of Compassion Fatigue
Journal article on compassion fatigue and impact on nursing
Article on compassion fatigue and burnout among oncology nurses.
The Role of Moral Suffering (Moral Distress and Moral Injury) in Police Compassion Fatigue and PTSD: An Unexplored Topic
Compassion fatigue and moral conflicts among police officersThe prominent role of moral conflicts in trauma is...
Compassion Fatigue, Moral Distress, and Work Engagement in... : Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing
By implementing the orientation of new inexperienced critical care nurses. It is important to understand factors that...
Building Resilience | Cornell Health
Resource addressing resiliency and strategiess to bolster such.
Five Science-Backed Strategies to Build Resilience
When the road gets rocky, what do you do?
Resilience | Bounce Back Project™
Resilience is our ability to bounce back from the stresses of life. It’s not about avoiding the stress, but learning to...
Health and Illness
19.4A: Health Care in the U.S.
Health Care in the U.S. introduction
Ticked-Off Teen Daughters & Stressed-Out Moms: 3 Keys | Colleen O'Grady | TEDxWilmington
In this talk Colleen O'Grady provides 3 ways to improve the relationship between moms and their teen daughters. Colleen...
How to spot a liar | Pamela Meyer
Visit http://TED.com to get our entire library of TED Talks, transcripts, translations, personalized talk recommendations...
Drowning in Empathy: The Cost of Vicarious Trauma | Amy Cunningham | TEDxSanAntonio
Caregivers and emergency responders are empathetic individuals who risk suffering from Compassion Fatigue, a form of PTSD...
Compassion Fatigue: What is it and do you have it? | Juliette Watt | TEDxFargo
In this compelling talk, Juliette introduces us to “Compassion Fatigue." A hugely pervasive syndrome that not only...
Water Bottle Analogy for Stress, Compassion Fatigue and Resilience I Arizona Trauma Institute
Dr. Roderick Logan uses a water bottle to demonstrate the need for resilience to overcome stress and compassion fatigue...
The three secrets of resilient people | Lucy Hone | TEDxChristchurch
Dr Lucy Hone is a resilience expert who thought she found her calling supporting people to recover following the...
The Sands and the Stream
The Sands and the Stream is a short story narrated that can be used to symbolize the significance of words, meanings,...
Spiritual Care in Holistic Nursing Education: A Spirituality and Health Elective Rooted in T.R.U.S.T. and Contemplative Education
Open access article. Click on PDF icon to open full article. Research to date demonstrates that spiritual care as an...
Rationing of nursing care, a deviation from holistic nursing: A systematic review
Rationing of care in nursing is nurses' inability to complete all care activities for patients because of scarcity in...
Nursing yourself away from burnout and compassion fatigue... : Nursing made Incredibly Easy
As nurses, we're the quintessential multitaskers of the healthcare field. We're highly skilled in managing competing...
Extent of compassion satisfaction, compassion fatigue and burnout in nursing: A meta-analysis - PubMed
In nursing, the prevalence rates of compassion fatigue and burnout are high. Better education and training may have a...
Home of the Labyrinth Movement
We are so glad you've found us! If you are new to the labyrinth, you might want to learn more about it here, or watch our...
The Labyrinth Society: The Labyrinth Society
The journey of the Labyrinth Society (TLS) is very similar to that of a labyrinth walk. The “labyrinth landscape” has...
Is patient empowerment the key to promote adherence? A systematic review of the relationship between self-efficacy, health locus of control and medication adherence
Background Current health policies emphasize the need for an equitable doctor-patient relationship, and this requires a...
Bobbie HesterSouthern Regional Technical College
Natalie BroderEast Carolina University
Wanda TaylorUniversity of North Carolina System - Wilmington
Janice PittmanEast Carolina University
Moira VisovattiEastern Michigan University
John Willis IIINone
Maryjean McIntoshWest Virginia Northern Community/Technical College
Sydnie DillsUniversity of Southern Indiana
Sherika DericoLawson State Community/Technical College
Eli ThomasUniversity of Southern Indiana
dr Shashikant KuraniThemis Medicare Limited
Cody OliverEast Carolina University
Megan MartinUniversity of Southern Indiana
Ashlyn ListeckiEast Carolina University
Vanessa Van BibberUniversity of Southern Indiana
Nonkululeko twalauniversty of pretoria
Emily Miller OlsonStanford Medical School
Aditya Srinivas ChavaliUniversity of Canada West
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (477)
- Cardiology (207)
- Dentistry (59)
- Dermatology (38)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (70)
- Endocrinology (102)
- Epidemiology (92)
- Exercise Science (39)
- Gastroenterology (126)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (255)
- Geriatrics (64)
- Healthcare Administration (52)
- Hematology (91)
- Internal Medicine (72)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (51)
- Mental Health (559)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (328)
- Nursing Education (192)
- Nursing (1096)
- Nutrition (178)
- OB and Gyn (254)
- Ophthalmology (42)
- Orthopedics (131)
- Other (274)
- Pathology (37)
- Pediatrics (160)
- Pharmacy (143)
- Preventive Medicine (31)
- Public Health (506)
- Pulmonary Medicine (52)
- Radiology (74)
- Rheumatology (7)
- Sports Medicine (26)
- Surgery (220)
- Therapeutics (35)
- Toxicology (20)
- Veterinary Medicine (34)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
Health Sciences on the Web
Health Sciences on Twitter
- A Review published in Respiratory Research discusses the key roles for metals in lung immune cell function and thei… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | BioMedCentral
- To minimize #burnout associated with EHRs, it is important to understand what physicians can control to save hours… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- RT @MarmolE6: Pleased to share the 6th and last paper included in my PhD thesis, which was recently published in Genetics Selection and Evo…4 hours ago | BioMedCentral
- Obesity management will never be about finding “one magic pill” that works for everyone. Weight management will alw… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- As hospital beds became quickly occupied due to the pandemic, @OchsnerHealth created a remote COVID-19 Surveillance… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Science all day, every day! ❤️ twitter.com/hoosierderby/s…7 hours ago | ajpheartcirc
- Thank YOU @ErikaBoerman for publishing your excellent work in AJP-Heart and Circ! 🤩 twitter.com/erikaboerman/s…7 hours ago | ajpheartcirc
- #Asthma is one of the most common lifelong chronic diseases and can make patients more vulnerable to #COVID19. On t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…7 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Hear from leading Black women physicians from the Release The Pressure Coalition on the link between heart health,… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…8 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- .@meganranney, a practicing emergency physician, researcher and national advocate for innovative approaches to publ… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn