Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold, Health Sciences Editor at email@example.com.
Author Jenn Cusick's Post-Secondary Peer Support Training Curriculum, an Open Education Resource (OER) textbook, is our feature in the Health Sciences showcase.
Post-Secondary Peer Support Training Curriculum includes a facilitator's guide. This adaptable training resource covers foundational peer support training for post-secondary students with ways to respond to peers with the core values of peer support.
Peer support is an evidence-based service model used in many different sectors across British Columbia. This document includes common uses of peer support in B.C., including by health authorities and community-based organizations. We will also look at the utilization of peer support in post-secondary institutions and share some ideas and guidelines for integrating peer support into existing student service programs.
Currently, most health authorities in B.C. and several non-profits have included peer support in their service delivery for people with mental health and substance use issues.
Though the training mentioned above was for mental health and substance use community programs, peer support is also becoming more common in workplaces. Additionally, educators may incorporate some strategies to promote a sense of belonging and encourage students. Some workplace initiatives include peer support programs for those working high-stress jobs, such as nursing and first responders. There are also peer support programs or groups in B.C. for people struggling with eating disorders and health issues, including cancer and diabetes. Cusick explains that peer-support interventions have a wide variety of applications.
The link to Jenn Cusick's Post-Secondary Peer Support Training Curriculum
Cheese Making Technology e-Book
This book is a supplement to the online lectures and learning exercises in Introduction to Cheese Technology, a short...
Ice Cream Technology e-Book
Ice cream has a long history as a popular dairy food item. It has evolved from a product that was manually-produced at...
Nursing: Mental Health and Community Concepts
This textbook is an open educational resource with CC-BY licensing developed specifically for prelicensure nursing...
Introduction to Health Assessment for the Nursing Professional
“Introduction to Health Assessment for the Nursing Professional” is an open educational resource (OER) created for...
Clinical Pharmacology and Prescribing Skills: Resources for Canadian Medical Trainees
This collection of resources, titled ‘Clinical Pharmacology and Prescribing Skills: Resources for Canadian Medical...
Science is a human pursuit. Meet the people behind some of the most important milestones in chemistry, chemical...
Quality Improvement at Johns Hopkins Center for Nursing Inquiry
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention defines quality improvement as“…a continuous and ongoing effort to achieve...
QI Guide on Improved Nursing Care
The goal is to deliver safe, high-quality health care to patients in all clinical settings. You can use the information...
Healthcare in the United States: Navigating the Basics of a Complex System
This book is a collaborative effort among three faculty members from the Darton College of Health Professions, Nursing...
Why domestic violence victims don't leave | Leslie Morgan Steiner
Leslie Morgan Steiner was in "crazy love" -- that is, madly in love with a man who routinely abused her and threatened...
Hospitals Becoming Overwhelmed By Outbreak Of RSV
Hospitals around the country are seeing a growing number of children sick with a respiratory virus known as RSV as an...
Can adults get RSV? Mass. doctor explains
RSV typically causes cold-like symptoms in adults, and can be as contagious as the common cold.
How to tell the difference between RSV, flu and COVID
Cough, runny nose and fever are common to all, but here are the subtle differences between RSV, the flu and COVID.
Orthoses for Upper Limbs
Orthoses are orthopedic devices very requested by population, therefore, it is important to learn more about them. It is...
Instruments to evaluate the quality of life after TBI
It is noticeable how the Traumatic Brain Injury can affect the quality of life of an individual. The impacts are...
COVID-19 Vaccination Field Guide: 12 Strategies for Your Community
This field guide offers intervention strategies to promote COVID-19 vaccine confidence and uptake based on a rapid...
Navigating Health Information Management (HIM)
[Slides] Psychomotor Domain Skills Development in TEPL
This is a slide presentation by Associate Prof. Dr. Chailerd Pichitpornchai (MU) titled Psychomotor Domain Skills...
[Video] Psychomotor Domain Skills Development in TEPL
This is a presentation by Associate Prof. Dr. Chailerd Pichitpornchai (MU) titled Psychomotor Domain Skills Development...
[Slides] Advancing Co-creation of Reusable Learning Objects (RLOs) to Digitise Healthcare Curricula: The ACoRD project.
This is a presentation by Dr. Teo Chin Hai (UM) titled: Advancing Co-creation of Reusable Learning Objects (RLOs) to...
An Evolving Approach to Assessing Cardiorespiratory Fitness, Muscle Function and Bone and Joint Health in the COVID-19 Era
Cardiorespiratory fitness (CRF) is now an established vital sign. CRF, along with muscle function and bone and joint...
Library: Health Information Management (HIM): eBooks
Library: Health Information Management (HIM): eBooks
The health benefits of physical activity and cardiorespiratory fitness | British Columbia Medical Journal
The benefits of physical activity are plentiful and significant. High levels of physical activity and cardiorespiratory...
Pharmacological Nursing - Picmonic for Nursing RN
Learn Pharmacological Nursing - Picmonic for Nursing RN faster and easier with Picmonic's unforgettable videos, stories,...
Mel AndersonTeach Nursing
Jacintha Daniel.JVels Instituteof Science, Technology & Advanced Studies
Karen JonesVirginia Western Community College
Alejandra RosasUniversidad De Los Andes
Peter LaVern StevensDole Philippines School
Navreet DhillonAthabasca University
Janice GibiliscoThomas Edison State College
Donna SlaterUniversity of Calgary
Sydney BryantUniversity of Southern Indiana
Maria Paz del Valle CoelloUniversity of Southern Indiana
Sharon GuthrieCoe College
Shannon MassengillUniversity of North Carolina System - Wilmington
Kela ViernesOld Dominion University
Rachael HarlowOld Dominion University
Chloe OlsonOld Dominion University
Shadae TetuBon Secours Health System
Vilma FerrellElon University
Meredith ThrockmortonOld Dominion University
Bella-Rene BugarinOld Dominion University
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (486)
- Cardiology (214)
- COVID, SARS, MERS (37)
- Dentistry (91)
- Dermatology (39)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (70)
- Endocrinology (109)
- Epidemiology (111)
- Exercise Science (48)
- Gastroenterology (127)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (256)
- Geriatrics (72)
- Healthcare Administration (150)
- Healthcare Disparities/Inequities (14)
- Hematology (98)
- Internal Medicine (74)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (62)
- Mental Health (571)
- Nephrology (104)
- Neurology (335)
- Nursing Education (237)
- Nursing (1499)
- Nutrition (201)
- OB and Gyn (271)
- Ophthalmology (43)
- Orthopedics (134)
- Other (312)
- Pathology (42)
- Pediatrics (168)
- Pharmacy (151)
- Preventive Medicine (33)
- Public Health (598)
- Pulmonary Medicine (55)
- Radiology (74)
- Respiratory Therapy (7)
- Rheumatology (7)
- Sports Medicine (28)
- Surgery (223)
- Therapeutics (40)
- Toxicology (23)
- Veterinary Medicine (57)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- American Holistic Nurses Association
- National League for Nursing
Health Sciences on the Web
Therapy dogs front and centre at recent police funeral in Barrie - Bradford Today
Dec 03, 2022 12:04 PM PST
US plans end to monkeypox public health emergency in January | Fox News
Dec 03, 2022 10:39 AM PST
Mpox will not be renewed as a public health emergency next year - NPR
Dec 03, 2022 03:58 AM PST
Joplin physician pleads guilty in federal court to health care fraud - KOAM
Dec 03, 2022 03:37 AM PST
Mpox will not be renewed as a public health emergency next year - WGLT
Dec 03, 2022 03:21 AM PST
GOP leaders lukewarm to public health proposals - Seymour Tribune
Dec 03, 2022 02:47 AM PST
Origin Health brings SoftWave therapy to Sioux Falls - KELOLAND.com
Dec 03, 2022 02:22 AM PST
Journalists Discuss Medicaid Rules, Opioid Settlement Funds, and the Public Health Workforce
Dec 03, 2022 02:09 AM PST
Alzheimer's APOE4 Genetic Risk Targeted in Promising Trial - The New York Times
Dec 02, 2022 11:03 PM PST
US to not renew monkeypox public health emergency - La Prensa Latina Media
Dec 02, 2022 10:33 PM PST
CICS offering free crisis therapy appointments through Dec. 31 - Messenger News
Dec 02, 2022 10:15 PM PST
Blanchfield Army Community Hospital
Dec 02, 2022 08:50 PM PST
California Clarifies Equine Physical Therapy Rules - BloodHorse
Dec 02, 2022 08:49 PM PST
US plans end to mpox public health emergency in January | The Seattle Times
Dec 02, 2022 08:17 PM PST
Gov. Pritzker Announces Six Appointments to Boards and Commissions - Illinois.gov
Dec 02, 2022 07:39 PM PST
December Public Health Update | myMotherLode.com
Dec 02, 2022 06:05 PM PST
Upstate woman accused of practicing as a registered nurse without a license - FOX Carolina
Dec 02, 2022 05:40 PM PST
Physician payment in 2023: Will a lame duck Congress take action? - Medical Economics
Dec 02, 2022 04:47 PM PST
Interim Public Health Director | Chautauqua County, NY
Dec 02, 2022 04:35 PM PST
New Mexico issues public health order amid RSV case surge
Dec 02, 2022 02:47 PM PST
Health Sciences on Twitter
- The #nurses may be virtual, but the care and compassion is very real. Check out how @BreLoughlin_RN of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…39 minutes ago | ANANursingWorld
- We must protect the well-being of our physicians. Discover the specialties hit hardest by #burnout and what initiat… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…40 minutes ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- An article published in @GenomeBiology presents Saluki: a hybrid convolutional and recurrent deep neural network wh… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | BioMedCentral
- As a #nurse, your recommendation to get a flu vaccine has a huge impact on a patient's decision to get vaccinated.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | ANANursingWorld
- RT @DrAjitKorgaokar: Otte, F. W., Millar, S. K., & Klatt, S. (2020). How does the modern football goalkeeper train?–An exploration of exper…3 hours ago | JSportsSci
- Tune in to the AMA Research Challenge finals on Dec 7 to watch finalists compete for a $10,000 prize! Register now.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Get to know the AMA Research Challenge finalists! Med student Ben Maxey discusses his research on audiovisual feedb… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Congratulations to @ANAPresident being named to the @modrnhealthcr 100 Most Influential People in Healthcare List!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | ANANursingWorld
- A Review published in Cancer Cell International discusses the pivotal roles of extracellular vesicles in intercellu… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | BioMedCentral
- 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝘃𝗶𝗯𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝗻 𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗲𝗺𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗰𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗺𝘂𝘀𝗰𝗹𝗲 𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗱𝘂𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗰𝘆𝗰𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴
Figure 👇 Visualization of joint angle d… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | JSportsSci