Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Kelly P. Massey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This overview and information is for health care professionals and students to understand and value the upcoming technology and medical advances related to genomics. It can be used in the classroom as a Powerpoint Presentation or assigned to students or health care staff for self-study.
Inappropriate Medical Abbreviations - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf
This paper provides an indept look at issues associated with the use of medical abbreviations and clinical evidence of...
Vitamin C for Sepsis Treatment
Hydrocortisone, Vitamin C, and Thiamine for the Treatment of Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock A Retrospective Before-After...
Cardiac Lab Interpretation (Troponin, CK, CK-MB, and BNP)
it is essential that nurses be able to interpret cardiac labs - it could literally be the difference between life and...
Learning Nurse Resources Network
Learning Nurse Resource Network is about in informal nurse learning, continuing education and professional development.
Short-Term Effects of Kefir-Fermented Milk Consumption on Bone Mineral Density and Bone Metabolism in a Randomized Clinical Trial of Osteoporotic Patients
Milk products are good sources of calcium that may reduce bone resorption and help prevent bone loss as well as promote...
UWorld - #1 Test Prep for USMLE, ABIM, ABFM, NCLEX, SAT, ACT & MCAT
UWorld Test Prep offers test preparation, practice tests and assessments for more than 1 million users who are preparing...
Society of Pediatric Nurses : Webinars
The Society of Pediatric Nurses offers webinars for free contact hours. Membership to the SPN is required, but you can...
Breastfeeding Progression in Preterm Infants Is Influenced by Factors in Infants, Mothers and Clinical Practice: The Results of a National Cohort Study with High Breastfeeding Initiation Rates
Many preterm infants are not capable of exclusive breastfeeding from birth. To guide mothers in breastfeeding, it is...
RegisteredNurseRN.com provides FREE NCLEX reviews, skills, school tips, & career help for students and nurses.
Delirium: Prevent, Identify, Treat
The American Nurses Association and the American Delirium Society are teaming up to empower frontline nurses to prevent...
SGNA | Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates, Inc. > Practice > Standards and Position Statements
SGNA (Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates) nursing standards of practice
Herpes & Pregnancy | American Sexual Health Association
If a woman with genital herpes has virus present in the birth canal during delivery, herpes simplex virus (HSV) can be...
Alteplase Injection for Acute Ischemic Stroke
Lippincott Nursing Pocket Card
Lab Values Podcast | NRSNG
Podcast audio files that explain various lab values, the action of the lab in question within the body, range of normal...
An online simulation game that requires you to administer the right medications to each patient.
Pharmacology Terms Game
Online, interactive game aimed to enhance knowledge about pharmacology terms, administration vocabulary, and monitoring...
Parkinson's: Study reveals how cancer drug reduces toxic protein in brain
An analysis of trial results reveals the mechanism through which the cancer drug nilotinib increases brain dopamine in...
Telehealth nursing: More than just a phone call
Answering healthcare questions over the phone is not a new concept. Dating back to the 1970s, office nurses have...
Planned home compared with planned hospital births: mode of delivery and Perinatal mortality rates, an observational study
This article is known to compare the mode of delivery between planned home versus planned hospital births and to...
Online ICU Guidebook_College of Medicine at Chicago
The purpose of this website is to provide residents with quick online access to information that will help during your...
Code Blue - ER - The Right Stuff - 4 of 4
Code Blue ER scenarios are written and directed by Daniel Davis, MD, Clinical Professor, MEDICAL SCHOOL/EMERGENCY...
The Nurses Notes on NCLEX
NRSNG podcast is a easy, free way to study for the NCLEX via smartphone, so it's accessible anytime and anywhere! Great...
Home Birth Vs Hospital Birth
This paper discussess the pros and cons to hospital and home births as well as discovers the ethical issues that arrise...
Misti BaileyTulsa Community College
Gayle DeaneEdison Community/Technical College
Natalie SorensenVCU Health
Lily ZhengOld Dominion University
Rosalina LintagOld Dominion University
Franklin OrpillaOld Dominion University
Javier WayOld Dominion University
Caitlin StremmelOld Dominion University
Dorcas BentilOld Dominion University
Zachary MiersOld Dominion University
Gerrard NormanOld Dominion University
Abena Osei-GyamfiOld Dominion University
Lena WolterUniversity of California System - Los Angeles
javiera almendrasINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Chelsie WalkerOld Dominion University
Kristina ClarkOld Dominion University
Maia JimenezOld Dominion University
Alexander BiddleOld Dominion University
Morgan VickOld Dominion University
Christina LuchauOld Dominion University
Michelle RossOld Dominion University
Andrea NelsonUniversity of West Florida
John BarbanThe Venus Factor
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (461)
- Cardiology (195)
- Dentistry (55)
- Dermatology (37)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (66)
- Endocrinology (94)
- Epidemiology (88)
- Exercise Science (38)
- Gastroenterology (125)
- General (472)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (136)
- Geriatrics (57)
- Healthcare Administration (42)
- Hematology (91)
- Internal Medicine (68)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (46)
- Mental Health (538)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (321)
- Nursing Education (144)
- Nursing (820)
- Nutrition (164)
- OB and Gyn (163)
- Ophthalmology (41)
- Orthopedics (131)
- Other (270)
- Pathology (36)
- Pediatrics (144)
- Pharmacy (133)
- Preventive Medicine (25)
- Public Health (486)
- Pulmonary Medicine (49)
- Radiology (71)
- Rheumatology (6)
- Sports Medicine (26)
- Surgery (220)
- Therapeutics (34)
- Toxicology (17)
- Veterinary Medicine (30)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
Health Sciences on the Web
Senators Press HHS and CMS on Physician Sunshine Act Compliance
Mar 25, 2019 09:00 AM UTC
Physician groups call for taxes on sugary drinks
Mar 25, 2019 08:26 AM UTC
Physician groups call for taxes and regulations on kids' access to sugary drinks
Mar 25, 2019 08:15 AM UTC
Giving Intravenous Therapy to Children at Home is Costly, Lowers Parents' Quality of Life
Mar 25, 2019 08:03 AM UTC
Docetaxel Plus Androgen-Deprivation Therapy After Primary Local Therapy in High-Risk Prostate ...
Mar 25, 2019 07:36 AM UTC
Exposure to HIV virus, antiretroviral therapy before birth linked to obesity and asthma-like symptoms
Mar 25, 2019 07:07 AM UTC
Badin's therapy dog Rudy, and 4 other unique things Butler County schools are doing to help ...
Mar 25, 2019 06:56 AM UTC
Inherited form of rickets improves more with new injectable medicine than conventional therapy
Mar 25, 2019 06:00 AM UTC
Therapy at WU: Why is it so difficult?
Mar 25, 2019 05:15 AM UTC
New therapy to treat 'tennis elbow' without surgery
Mar 25, 2019 04:41 AM UTC
Pediatricians Urged To Coordinate Therapy For Kids With Disabilities
Mar 25, 2019 04:07 AM UTC
Canine care: Therapy dog program launches at O'Bleness Hospital
Mar 25, 2019 02:37 AM UTC
Zacks: Analysts Expect Community Health Systems (CYH) Will Post Quarterly Sales of $3.32 Billion
Mar 25, 2019 02:26 AM UTC
Dance therapy does wonders for disabled kids. Check it out
Mar 25, 2019 02:15 AM UTC
'Paddington' Star Ben Whishaw Had Therapy To Deal With His Sexuality
Mar 25, 2019 02:03 AM UTC
Thermo Fisher forges $1.7 billion deal to buy a contract player in the booming gene therapy field
Mar 25, 2019 01:30 AM UTC
Insurers' 'fail first' model reformed
Mar 25, 2019 01:07 AM UTC
Health Sciences on Twitter
- Current Issue: Electronic Charting During Simulation: A Descriptive Study dlvr.it/R1VYsD26 minutes ago | CIN_online
- Read about the latest developments in cancer immunotherapy
bit.ly/2Fr18HG56 minutes ago | BioMedCentral
- RT @shonajanelee: My paper with Jennifer Palmer on referral non-completion among RDT-positive gambiense sleeping sickness suspects in Ugand…2 hours ago | BioMedCentral
- The technique involves the placement of an immediate perforated temporary crown that allows rubber dam placement, i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9 hours ago | DentistryToday
- Winners were selected based on program criteria, which included innovation, clinical significance, originality, and… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…12 hours ago | DentistryToday
- RT @joshualeskomd: This @JAMA_current Performance Improvement piece examines the extreme lengths of stays patients can experience in the ER…12 hours ago | JAMAInternalMed
- Kelly Gable, PharmD, BCPP, explains how #pharmacists are evolving into healthcare providers, who can do more to add… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Julie Dopheide, PharmD, BCPP, FASHP, said that #depression is the leading cause of poor health among adults in the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @RichBottner: Thank you @JAMAInternalMed for this info graphic released yesterday. In addition to primary care providers, #hospitalmedic…13 hours ago | JAMAInternalMed
- Congratulations @UF_Pharmacy @UFAPhAASP #APhA2019 twitter.com/APhAASP/status…