Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Liza Mayeux at email@example.com.
This overview and information is for health care professionals and students to understand and value the upcoming technology and medical advances related to genomics. It can be used in the classroom as a Powerpoint Presentation or assigned to students or health care staff for self-study.
U.S. National Weather Resources: Heat Safety Tips and Resources
Heat safety tips and resources for dealing with extreme heat. Note: Practical guidelines for people to follow in dealing...
Undergraduate Diagnostic Imaging Fundamentals 8211; Open Textbook
Diagnostic Imaging principles and concepts are augmented by the presentation of images for common clinical conditions....
Leadership in Healthcare and Public Health
Can leadership be taught? If the answer is yes, then a highly interactive flipped classroom may be an ideal environment....
Theories and Biological Basis of Addiction
Welcome to the online coursebook for our Theories and Biological Basis of Addiction course. The material is designed to...
Vaccine Disparities - Adult Vaccinations
While a big push has been made to improve childhood vaccination rates, adult vaccination remains poor. According to the...
Perspectives on Bias in Medicine
In this book, we will explore the impact of bias on the experiences of healthcare providers, learners preparing to be...
Atlas of Renal Lesions in Proteinuric Dogs
This Atlas of Renal Lesions in Proteinuric Dogs is a seminal work that is the product of a huge amount of effort by a...
Nursing EKG Flashcards | Quizlet
Quizlet that contains information about different heart rhythms and the images that they correspond with on an EKG. This...
Auscultation of Lungs
Guide for lung auscultation and types of lung sounds
Veterinary Histology is a microscopic anatomy textbook focused on domestic species, including the dog, cat, cattle,...
Introduction to Human Osteology
This text was designed for use in the human osteology laboratory classroom. Bones are described to aid in the...
Medicines by Design
Medicines By Design aims to explain how scientists unravel the many different ways medicines work in the body and how...
MEDICAL ETHICS ONLINE TEXTBOOK
"In this text and course it is my task to challenge the reader, to invite and to encourage the reader to think and to...
Veterinary Medical Libraries in the 21st Century
The discipline of veterinary science encompasses a vast body of knowledge that is derived from basic and applied studies...
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists - ACOG
Provides educational resources to women on obstetrics and gynecology related topics, such as pregnancy. A great resource...
Este material sirve como guia para la eleccion de tratamientos de ortodoncia en odontologia
Nursing Humor Cartoons- for hilarious comic strips on virtually any nursing or health care topic. Learn and laugh at the...
El blog de Estefanía
En este sitio podrás encontrar información relevante del área de la salud, si eres estudiante, la información que...
Simulation as a Strategy to Teach Clinical Pediatrics Within a Nursing Curriculum
This article describes an exploratory study of communication, collaboration, confidence, learning opportunity, and error...
Tic Tac Toe ABGs: Interpretation and Patient Safety
The Tic Tac Toe ABGs was developed by QSEN to guide nusing students in interpreting and minimizing risks associated with...
Back to Basics: Protection From Surgical Smoke
Surgical smoke is formed when energy‐generating devices (ie, electrosurgery units, lasers, powered instruments) raise the...
How to Study for the Certified Emergency Nurse (CEN) Exam - Boss RN
In this post, I talk about what I used to study for the CEN. I give you 3 tools I used and a downloadable PDF study...
How Nurses Can Help Drive Healthcare Innovation
Ever since Florence Nightingale revolutionized healthcare during the Crimean War by pointing out that infection was...
Institute of Pediatric Nursing
The Institute of Pediatric Nursing is a nonprofit committee that studies issues facing our specialty and proposes...
Justine OlegarioEast Carolina University
Tiffany SalcitoEast Carolina University
rebercca rossOld Dominion University
Laura CalcagniYoungstown State University
Pei Yi YapManagement and Science University (MSU)
Euwanna HeardBowie State University
Jordyn VolkanEast Carolina University
Vanessa WrightOklahoma City University
Casey KelleyEast Carolina University
Aaron OsborneEast Carolina University
Ron DaviesCalifornia Southern University
Chris WoodGrand Rapids Community/Technical College
Catherine HellierOld Dominion University
Jenny Pearl Anne SensengOld Dominion University
Charlotte StowHoneyman Group Limited
Amanda WhartonOld Dominion University
Eliza Dominique YutucOld Dominion University
ESTEFANIA HERRERASan Luis Potosí
Katrina ThompsonKaplan University
TAMMY PORTERDNP Student-Duke University School of Nursing
Ciara BonnerOld Dominion University
emily goetzkeBethany Lutheran College
Lauren SershenOld Dominion University
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (460)
- Cardiology (197)
- Dentistry (54)
- Dermatology (36)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (66)
- Endocrinology (96)
- Epidemiology (87)
- Exercise Science (38)
- Gastroenterology (125)
- General (482)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (136)
- Geriatrics (59)
- Healthcare Administration (42)
- Hematology (91)
- Internal Medicine (71)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (47)
- Mental Health (539)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (326)
- Nursing Education (149)
- Nursing (846)
- Nutrition (172)
- OB and Gyn (168)
- Ophthalmology (40)
- Orthopedics (130)
- Other (271)
- Pathology (36)
- Pediatrics (146)
- Pharmacy (132)
- Preventive Medicine (26)
- Public Health (483)
- Pulmonary Medicine (50)
- Radiology (70)
- Rheumatology (6)
- Sports Medicine (27)
- Surgery (219)
- Therapeutics (34)
- Toxicology (18)
- Veterinary Medicine (33)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
Health Sciences on the Web
ALS: 'Unique' cells could open up new avenues for therapy
Jul 16, 2019 11:56 PM PDT
Health News 2 Use: Therapy dogs keep spirits high for cancer patients
Jul 16, 2019 05:33 PM PDT
U. of C. releases assessment Of community health needs
Jul 16, 2019 03:30 PM PDT
Metro Public Health offering extended back-to-school immunizations
Jul 16, 2019 02:45 PM PDT
Novel therapy administered after TBI prevents brain damage
Jul 16, 2019 02:11 PM PDT
How To Quit Video Games: New Study Finds Promising Therapy, Urges Drug Study As Next Step ...
Jul 16, 2019 02:11 PM PDT
VEGF-Targeted Therapy in HCC: Ramucirumab
Jul 16, 2019 01:48 PM PDT
Time to Ban 'Conversion Therapy'
Jul 16, 2019 01:37 PM PDT
Israel's Education Minister Now Says He Opposes Gay 'Conversion Therapy'
Jul 16, 2019 01:15 PM PDT
HCL Combination Therapy: Rituximab and Purine Analog
Jul 16, 2019 12:52 PM PDT
Physician launches 'Walk with a Doc'
Jul 16, 2019 12:49 PM PDT
Nick Freudenberg on the Corporation the Individual and Public Health
Jul 16, 2019 12:41 PM PDT
When hurricanes halt treatment, lung cancer patients die sooner
Jul 16, 2019 12:18 PM PDT
Researchers to test VR therapy for mental health treatment
Jul 16, 2019 12:07 PM PDT
Chester couple trains Rottweilers as therapy dogs
Jul 16, 2019 11:56 AM PDT
Peretz: Conversion therapy 'unacceptable'
Jul 16, 2019 11:45 AM PDT
Residents: 4 benefits to making public health part of your career
Jul 16, 2019 11:33 AM PDT
AveXis Turns to Catalent's Paragon for Additional Gene Therapy Manufacturing Capacity
Jul 16, 2019 11:20 AM PDT
Health Sciences on Twitter
- ja.ma/2JGDwkw29 minutes ago | JAMAInternalMed
- RT @BioMedCentral: Think you’re up-to-date with the latest #publichealth facts, figures, and recommendations? BMC is advancing discovery wi…52 minutes ago | BioMedCentral
- RT @MedHumChat: "Cancer" by Aida Cavalic, winner of the @BioMedCentral Cancer Awareness Poetry Competition, May 2019 https://t.co/k5Wb5wbxST, photo: pic.twitter.com/k5Wb5wbxST1 hour ago | BioMedCentral
- RT @HSRatBMC: Looking forward to representing @BioMedCentral at #impscim19 #impsci19 If you'd like to discuss publishing your research @Liz…1 hour ago | BioMedCentral
- ja.ma/2JOPGaT1 hour ago | JAMAInternalMed
- ja.ma/2JMWXYN2 hours ago | JAMAInternalMed
- Asthma, body mass and aerobic fitness, the relationship in adolescents: the eXercise for Asthma with Commando Joe’s… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | JSportsSci
- RT @PharmaLauren: Mind the gap? The platform trial as a working environment.
An interesting and practical read on the complexity, efficien…3 hours ago | BioMedCentral
- ja.ma/2XMTQKo3 hours ago | JAMAInternalMed
- Classes of developmental trajectories of body mass index: differences in motor competence and cardiorespiratory fit… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | JSportsSci