Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold at email@example.com.
Dr. Jamie Murphy's OER textbook for Transitions to Professional Nursing is featured in the Health Sciences showcase. The text is for students transitioning from an associate degree education to a baccalaureate degree. Content includes a broad overview of the nursing profession, the role of accrediting and professional organizations with a strong focus on the American Nurses Association’s foundational documents. The competencies of the Standards of Professional Practice and the Code of Ethics are weaved throughout the text.
Topics covered in this text include professional nursing practice, baccalaureate education, healthcare in the 21st century, autonomy and accountability, nursing philosophy, professional development, communication, interprofessional collaboration, critical thinking, introduction to evidence-based practice, and nursing leadership and theory.
The Edge of Compassion | Françoise Mathieu | TEDxQueensU
For the past 15 years, Secondary Trauma specialist and compassion fatigue educator Françoise Mathieu has been exploring...
Healthcare Providers & Staff Compassion Fatigue at the Time of COVID-19: Risk and Protective Fac...
Compassion fatigue can happen to anyone—the people that seem most at risk are medical and mental health providers who...
How to Manage Compassion Fatigue in Caregiving | Patricia Smith | TEDxSanJuanIsland
Caregivers are often so busy caring for others that they tend to neglect their own emotional, physical, and spiritual...
Systematic Review of Burnout Risk Factors Among European Healthcare Professionals
Healthcare professionals‟ burnout is a response to the prolonged exposure to occupational stress and affects negatively...
Stress and Burnout among Intensive Care Unit Healthcare Professionals in an Indian Tertiary Care Hospital
Intensive care unit (ICU) healthcare professionals work under a stressful environment which can lead to burnout syndrome....
Compassion fatigue, burnout, compassion satisfaction and perceived stress in healthcare professionals during the COVID‐19 health crisis in Spain
Open Access Journal Article - Peer Reviewed
Burnout among healthcare professionals during COVID-19 pandemic: a cross-sectional study
Purpose To describe the prevalence of burnout among healthcare professionals dealing with COVID-19 patients and the...
Burnout in United States Healthcare Professionals: A Narrative Review
Burnout has reached rampant levels among United States (US) healthcare professionals, with over one-half of physicians...
Screening for Moral Injury: The Moral Injury Symptom Scale – Military Version Short Form
AbstractIntroduction. To develop a short form (SF) of the 45-item multidimensional Moral Injury Symptom Scale – Military...
Chaplaincy, Spiritual Care and Moral Injury: Considerations Regarding Screening and Treatment
Moral injury is a complex trauma related syndrome involving a correlation of biological, psychological, social, and...
Reframing Clinician Distress: Moral Injury Not Burnout
Peer reviewed journal article - open access
Limiting moral injury in healthcare professionals during the COVID-19 pandemic
Whilst many have focussed on the immediate physical health of the workforce  and maintaining their short-term...
Defining and Measuring Moral Injury: Rationale, Design, and Preliminary Findings
Peer- reviewed research article abstract- full article may be avialable via a university library system, subscription,...
Managing mental health challenges faced by healthcare workers during covid-19 pandemic
Neil Greenberg and colleagues set out measures that healthcare managers need to put in place to protect the mental health...
Occupational moral injury and mental health: systematic review and meta-analysis | The British Journal of Psychiatry | Cambridge Core
Occupational moral injury and mental health: systematic review and meta-analysis - Volume 212 Issue 6
Psychometric Evaluation of the Moral Injury Events Scale
ABSTRACT. Literature describing the phenomenology of the stress of combat suggests that war-zone experiences may lead to...
Stress, Burnout, and Moral Injury: The State of the... : Journal of Healthcare Management
An abstract is unavailable.
Identifying Moral Injury in Healthcare Professionals: The Moral Injury Symptom Scale-HP
This study aims to develop and assess the psychometric properties of a measure of moral injury (MI) symptoms for...
Moral Injury: an Integrative Review
An integrative research review on moral injury as it applies to health care delivery
7 ways to cope with moral distress during COVID-19
The pandemic’s ethical challenges can cause emotional upset and distress. A Johns Hopkins physician advises on how...
Moral Injury: Pandemic’s Fallout for Health Care Workers
While burnout is often used to describe the effects of all this ongoing stress among health care workers battling the...
We need a safety net for physicians, private psychological support reportable to no one. Otherwise we will continue to see physician burnout and suicide increase.
Blog from the Texas Medical Association on moral distress and physicians
Heart Sounds and Heart Murmurs, Animation.
(USMLE topics, cardiology) Basic hearts sounds and common heart murmurs. This video and other related videos (in HD) are...
Moral distress - AACN
Resources and assessment inforation related to moral distress
Bobbie HesterSouthern Regional Technical College
Natalie BroderEast Carolina University
Wanda TaylorUniversity of North Carolina System - Wilmington
Janice PittmanEast Carolina University
Moira VisovattiEastern Michigan University
John Willis IIINone
Maryjean McIntoshWest Virginia Northern Community/Technical College
Sydnie DillsUniversity of Southern Indiana
Sherika DericoLawson State Community/Technical College
Eli ThomasUniversity of Southern Indiana
dr Shashikant KuraniThemis Medicare Limited
Cody OliverEast Carolina University
Megan MartinUniversity of Southern Indiana
Ashlyn ListeckiEast Carolina University
Vanessa Van BibberUniversity of Southern Indiana
Nonkululeko twalauniversty of pretoria
Emily Miller OlsonStanford Medical School
Aditya Srinivas ChavaliUniversity of Canada West
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (477)
- Cardiology (207)
- Dentistry (59)
- Dermatology (38)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (70)
- Endocrinology (102)
- Epidemiology (92)
- Exercise Science (39)
- Gastroenterology (126)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (255)
- Geriatrics (64)
- Healthcare Administration (52)
- Hematology (91)
- Internal Medicine (72)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (51)
- Mental Health (559)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (328)
- Nursing Education (192)
- Nursing (1096)
- Nutrition (178)
- OB and Gyn (254)
- Ophthalmology (42)
- Orthopedics (131)
- Other (274)
- Pathology (37)
- Pediatrics (160)
- Pharmacy (143)
- Preventive Medicine (31)
- Public Health (506)
- Pulmonary Medicine (52)
- Radiology (74)
- Rheumatology (7)
- Sports Medicine (26)
- Surgery (220)
- Therapeutics (35)
- Toxicology (20)
- Veterinary Medicine (34)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
Health Sciences on the Web
Open Sky Wilderness Therapy Launches New Program For Early Adolescents
May 06, 2021 05:00 AM PDT
Lawmakers Passed On The Chance To Fortify Public Health
May 06, 2021 03:18 AM PDT
Global Psoriasis Epidemiology and Patient Flow Report 2020-2035 - ResearchAndMarkets.com
May 06, 2021 03:03 AM PDT
Oregon Public Health Workers Race To Vaccinate 'Extreme Risk' Counties
May 06, 2021 02:00 AM PDT
LA Public Health on Twitter: "Los Angeles County has met the threshold for the least restrictive ...
May 05, 2021 09:29 PM PDT
Global Public Health Convention Study in The Lancet Redefines the Future of Pandemics, says ...
May 05, 2021 08:56 PM PDT
Public Health Officials Talk Vaccinations and Looking Forward
May 05, 2021 05:56 PM PDT
Mariposa County Public Health Reports One New Positive COVID Case for a Total of 445 ...
May 05, 2021 05:00 PM PDT
Public Health Confirms 9 New COVID-19 Cases, 3 New Hospitalizations
May 05, 2021 04:26 PM PDT
NAU physical therapy professor raising funds to support fight against COVID-19 in his home ...
May 05, 2021 04:15 PM PDT
The Evolution of Delivering Therapy in Healthcare and How to Expand Your Healthcare Business ...
May 05, 2021 02:33 PM PDT
Why Community Health Systems Spiked on Wednesday
May 05, 2021 02:22 PM PDT
New ENT physician joins Bothwell team
May 05, 2021 01:02 PM PDT
Lake Street recovery coalition launches campaign promoting racial equity and community health
May 05, 2021 12:41 PM PDT
Focused ultrasound enables precise noninvasive therapy
May 05, 2021 11:56 AM PDT
WPI professor researching natural COVID-19 therapy
May 05, 2021 11:45 AM PDT
Tree planted in honor of longtime Paxton physician
May 05, 2021 11:33 AM PDT
Individual Consultant: Strengthening of Public Health Laboratory Response to COVID-19
May 05, 2021 11:22 AM PDT
Public Health to host vaccine clinic May 12; with follow-up vaccination set for June 9
May 05, 2021 11:11 AM PDT
Health Sciences on Twitter
- It's Day 3 at the 2021 @CNS_SCN conference!
📣 Between sessions check out the CNS x APNM Award for #Nutrition Tran… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 minutes ago | APNMjournal
- RT @JAPhAJournal: IN PRESS: Curbing the opioid epidemic while maintaining appropriate pain management options requires a multifactorial app…5 minutes ago | pharmacists
- RT @CPFgrants: GA legislation forces #PBMs to start publicly reporting how close to a national average many health plans’ drug prices were…6 minutes ago | pharmacists
- You need to understand what you spent on marketing in 2020, what your return on investment was, and how you want to… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…14 minutes ago | DentistryToday
- Clinical Predictors of Knee Mechanics at Return to Sport after ACL Reconstruction | This week's FREE #tbt article… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…14 minutes ago | MSSEonline
- Happy Nurses Day! #ANANursesMonth Day 4 of Self-Care is focused on Quality of Life! Get tips from Healthy Nurse Hea… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…15 minutes ago | ANANursingWorld
- In light of #NursesWeek 2021, we have freed up our May issue this month for you to enjoy! Thank you for all of the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…15 minutes ago | NursPrac_online
- IPC practices are different for single-use and multi-use vials. @CDC_Firstline provides tips on how to ensure that… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…15 minutes ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- #Burnout isn’t exactly the same as #overtraining, but there’s plenty of overlap: chronic exhaustion, a drop in perf… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…15 minutes ago | Human_Kinetics
- Just posted a photo instagram.com/p/COiXk97sWVR/…30 minutes ago | Human_Kinetics