Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold, Health Sciences Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Jamie Murphy's OER textbook for Transitions to Professional Nursing is featured in the Health Sciences showcase. The text is for students transitioning from an associate degree education to a baccalaureate degree. Content includes a broad overview of the nursing profession, the role of accrediting and professional organizations with a strong focus on the American Nurses Association’s foundational documents. The competencies of the Standards of Professional Practice and the Code of Ethics are weaved throughout the text.
Topics covered in this text include professional nursing practice, baccalaureate education, healthcare in the 21st century, autonomy and accountability, nursing philosophy, professional development, communication, interprofessional collaboration, critical thinking, introduction to evidence-based practice, and nursing leadership and theory.
Public Health Law: Past & Present
Before there were regular street cleanings and trash pick-up, garbage and filth accumulated on the streets and alleyways...
Public Health Law 101
A CDC Foundational Course for Public Health Practitioners
Health Law: A Career Guide
from Harvard Law School
-CDC Guidance for Healthcare Workers and COVID
COVID-19 guidance, tools, and resources for healthcare workers.
Statistical literacy building in evidence-based nursing practice: Descriptive and Inferential Statistics
This virtual lesson is a short activity to help build statistical literacy in nursing students and nurses. It includes a...
Financial Risk Management
In this chapter, we discuss financial risk management—a topic of increasing importance to healthcare managers. The term...
Lecture for the Foundations of Health Care Delivery lecture series at Vanderbilt School of Medicine
Healthcare Finance | MITx on edX
Funding for fundamental science and early-stage translational medicine is becoming scarcer, and at the worst possible...
U.S. Treasury Secretary promises to fight the economic effects of the coronavirus.
During a news conference the Trump administration scrambles to assure Americans it is responding to a growing coronavirus...
Breaking down coronavirus’ impact on the U.S. economy
Coronavirus quarantines in China have had a significant impact on the global economy. In Los Angeles, where 40% of all...
Introduction to Healthcare Finance
Chapter 1 of
Health Communication: From Theory to Practice
Health Communication: From Theory to Practice is a much needed resource for the fast-growing field of health...
Health Equity Quiz
UNNATURAL CAUSES | Action Center | CALIFORNIA NEWSREEL
Planet Earth Grounding Meditation
Planet Earth Grounding Meditation is geared for nurses to provide self-care by doing a short grounding meditation. The...
Enhancing Psychological Sustainment & Promoting Resilience in Healthcare Workers During COVID-19 & Beyond: Adapting Crisis Interventions From High-Risk Occupations
COVID-19 is a unique disaster, which has placed extreme stress on Healthcare Workers (HCWs) and the systems in which they...
The Effect of Religion on Psychological Resilience in Healthcare Workers During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pandemic
Background: Healthcare workers in the front line of diagnosis, treatment, and care of patients with coronavirus disease...
Resilience strategies to manage psychological distress among healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic: a narrative review
Article related to resiliency strategies rresearch - narrative review
Psychological Resilience of Healthcare Professionals During COVID-19 Pandemic
Rresearch related to psychological resilience related to COVID-19
The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of a violence coping program (VCP) based on Polk's middle-range...
How Emergency Nurses Develop Resilience in the Context of Workplace Violence: A Grounded Theory Study
Reseaarch investigation linked to workplace violence and resiliency in ED nurses.
Building personal resilience
Develop skills to overcome daily challenges and prepare for the future.
Resilience Training for Nurses - The Resiliency Solution
Healthcare Workers grow your culture promote shared goals and understanding Eradicate mistrust, low collaboration, poor...
Resilience in Nursing
Every healthcare provider has to face a number of stresses and difficult situations as they provide daily care for...
Resilience as a strategy for struggling against challenges related to the nursing profession
Stressors, such as work overload, role conflicts, lack of time, lack of self-care, poor job-related interpersonal...
Aparna IngleshwarUniversity of Iowa
Karen Irma Ortiz PantziBenemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla
Heather Sinisterra HaldiRasmussen University
Alexis HeastonTennessee State University
Charlotte ChattoUniversite Episcopale d'Haiti
Angela MickleRadford University
Brenda BattsTennessee State University
Janice PittmanEast Carolina University
Margaret SumpterMercy College of Ohio
Rachelle GarciaFar Eastern University
Angela TumaClarkson College
Elizabeth GuerdanUniversity of Maine System - University of Southern Maine
Deadra ThomasJourney Medical Training Center
Savannah DodsonEast Carolina University
London GranthamEast Carolina University
Mustafa OzkaynakUniversity of Colorado System - Health Sciences Center
Meghan TschidaOld Dominion University
Ariel ChiariAriel Chiari
Wesley McCammonEastern Senior High School
Linda YeboahOld Dominion University
Yvette AdomakoOld Dominion University
Monica MaldariFitchburg State College
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (477)
- Cardiology (209)
- Dentistry (59)
- Dermatology (39)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (70)
- Endocrinology (102)
- Epidemiology (93)
- Exercise Science (41)
- Gastroenterology (126)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (256)
- Geriatrics (64)
- Healthcare Administration (75)
- Hematology (92)
- Internal Medicine (71)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (51)
- Mental Health (562)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (329)
- Nursing Education (203)
- Nursing (1159)
- Nutrition (180)
- OB and Gyn (256)
- Ophthalmology (42)
- Orthopedics (131)
- Other (276)
- Pathology (37)
- Pediatrics (160)
- Pharmacy (143)
- Preventive Medicine (31)
- Public Health (508)
- Pulmonary Medicine (52)
- Radiology (74)
- Rheumatology (7)
- Sports Medicine (26)
- Surgery (220)
- Therapeutics (35)
- Toxicology (20)
- Veterinary Medicine (34)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- American Holistic Nurses Association
- National League for Nursing
Health Sciences on the Web
Government accused of 'burying' conversion therapy report
Aug 04, 2021 04:03 PM PDT
San Francisco Department Of Public Health Offering Vaccine Booster Shots
Aug 04, 2021 02:52 PM PDT
The Complementarity of Public Health and Medicine — Achieving “the Highest Attainable Standard ...
Aug 04, 2021 02:00 PM PDT
Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy Paves New Path for Treatment at Nova Vita Wellness ...
Aug 04, 2021 01:28 PM PDT
Dallas Mayor Says He Hopes Gov. Abbott Is Putting Public Health Over Politics With COVID-19 ...
Aug 04, 2021 01:26 PM PDT
Berks native directs new state-of-the-art physical therapy clinic
Aug 04, 2021 01:15 PM PDT
Big Island Community Health Centers Offer $100 Gift Card Incentive
Aug 04, 2021 12:07 PM PDT
Governor Lamont and Public Health Commissioner Gifford Express Concern Over COVID-19 ...
Aug 04, 2021 11:56 AM PDT
Community Health celebrates National Health Center week Aug. 8-14
Aug 04, 2021 11:45 AM PDT
As the more contagious delta variant circulates, public health experts say herd immunity has ...
Aug 04, 2021 11:33 AM PDT
Sports Medicine - University Health Center
Aug 04, 2021 10:55 AM PDT
Office of Mayor John Cooper Announces COVID-19 Public Health Protection Updates
Aug 04, 2021 10:48 AM PDT
Saginaw County public health officials on rising COVID-19 numbers: Don't panic, stay informed
Aug 04, 2021 10:36 AM PDT
Douglas County Public Health: 120 cases, 85 hospitalizations, 16 people on ventilators due to ...
Aug 04, 2021 10:15 AM PDT
19 House Democrats call on Capitol physician to mandate vaccines
Aug 04, 2021 10:11 AM PDT
DTx and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Opportunities, Benefits, and Challenges of an Evolving ...
Aug 04, 2021 10:06 AM PDT
This emergency room physician went from the horrors of the Surfside disaster back into the ER ...
Aug 04, 2021 10:03 AM PDT
Health Sciences on Twitter
- The segregation that is embedded into the medical field must be abolished. A panel of experts explain the factors t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- A study published in #BMCPublicHealth reports that multimorbidity affects over one-third of people born in Britain… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | BioMedCentral
- RT @jonathankirk: On a related note, are you NOT going on vacation and would like to review manuscripts while everyone else IS? Let me know!
- RT @APSPublications: Congratulations to the @ajpheartcirc August #APSselect winner “Long-term cerebrovascular dysfunction in the offspring…
- RT @merrylindseyphd: Going on vacation? Submit ur manuscript 2 @ajpheartcirc & enjoy- we'll take good care of it while ur gone. @APSPublica…
- .@naic is holding a special hearing tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. ET featuring Dr. Edwin Chapman & Dr. Walter Wilson discus… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Women who rise through a company's ranks face more backlash when negotiating their salary assertively, suggests new… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | APA
- Celebrate #CivicHealthMonth w/ @Elizabethcohn, @AlisterFMartin, @aliyaabhatia as they build community, reduce… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | ANANursingWorld
- One of the requirements of recreational diving is the use of a self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | Human_Kinetics
- No matter how you slice it, the pandemic has forever changed the way we work.
Join us next week at #APA2021 for a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | APA