Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold, Health Sciences Editor at email@example.com.
Dr. Jamie Murphy's OER textbook for Transitions to Professional Nursing is featured in the Health Sciences showcase. The text is for students transitioning from an associate degree education to a baccalaureate degree. Content includes a broad overview of the nursing profession, the role of accrediting and professional organizations with a strong focus on the American Nurses Association’s foundational documents. The competencies of the Standards of Professional Practice and the Code of Ethics are weaved throughout the text.
Topics covered in this text include professional nursing practice, baccalaureate education, healthcare in the 21st century, autonomy and accountability, nursing philosophy, professional development, communication, interprofessional collaboration, critical thinking, introduction to evidence-based practice, and nursing leadership and theory.
Sepsis and Septic Shock: Current Treatment Strategies and New Approaches
Sepsis is a complex condition characterized by the simultaneous activation of inflammation and coagulation in response to...
How to get published in an academic journal: top tips from editors
Journal editors share their advice on how to structure a paper, write a cover letter - and deal with awkward feedback...
12 Tips for Accelerating Manuscript Publication | AJE
12 best practices for getting your research manuscript published faster.
Publications Using HINTS Data | HINTS
National trends survey of publications 2021 - NIH
10 tips for getting your journal article published | OUPblog
Writing a paper that gets accepted for publication in a high-quality journal is not easy. If it was, we’d all be doing...
Post-Secondary Peer Support Training Curriculum
"Post-Secondary Peer Support Training Curriculum" includes a facilitator’s guide. This adaptable training resource covers...
Examining the evidence for best practice guidelines in supportive supervision of lay health care providers in humanitarian emergencies: A systematic scoping review
Supervision is widely recognised as an important form of support for lay health service providers. However, guidance in...
Collaboration among Registered Nurses and Licensed Practical Nurses: A Scoping Review of Practice Guidelines
Professional associations, nurse scholars, and practicing nurses suggest that intraprofessional collaboration between...
Effects of Nursing Work Environment, Job Satisfaction, and Organizational Commitment on Retention Intention of Clinical Nurses
The study included 163 nurses working in three general hospitals located in B city. Data were collected by a survey using...
Changes in hospital nurse work environments and nurse job outcomes: An analysis of panel data
One strategy proposed to alleviate nursing shortages is the promotion of organizational efforts that will improve nurse...
Association of the nurse work environment with nurse incivility in hospitals
To determine whether nurse coworker incivility is associated with the nurse work environment, defined as organisational...
Relationship between Psychiatric Nurse Work Environments and Nurse Burnout in Acute Care General Hospitals
Following deinstitutionalization, inpatient psychiatric services moved from state institutions to general hospitals....
The Effects of Nurse Staffing and Nurse Education on Patient Deaths in Hospitals With Different Nurse Work Environments
Better hospital nurse staffing, more educated nurses, and improved nurse work environments have been shown to be...
Work environment assessment instruments used in nursing
The aim was to identify and characterize instruments for assessing the work environment of nurses. The sources of...
Study with us
developed in the US to measure nursing work environments (NWEs) has not yet been used in England. Aims To evaluate the...
The nursing work environment and quality of care: A cross-sectional study using the Essentials of Magnetism II Scale in England
To explore the structure of the Essentials of Magnetism II (EOMII) scale using data from nurses working in England; and...
The nursing work environment and quality of care: Content analysis of comments made by registered nurses responding to the Essentials of Magnetism II scale
To report a qualitative study of themes Registered Nurses raised spontaneously about their work environment, in a...
Effects of work environment on patient and nurse outcomes
everal parameters of the nurse's work environment lead to fewer patient complications and lower nurse burnout. The aim of...
Critical Care Nurse Work Environments 2018: Findings and Implications | Critical Care Nurse | American Association of Critical-Care Nurses
The health of critical care nurse work environments affects patient and nurse outcomes. The results of the 2018 Critical...
The Value of Better Nursing Environments
This matched-cohort study tests whether hospitals with better nursing work environments display better value than those...
The nurse work environment: Current and future challenges
Costs of nurse turnover including financial loss and loss of intellectual capital warrant a better understanding of how...
The lived experience of workplace reciprocity of emergency nurses in the mid-Atlantic region of the U.S.: A descriptive phenomenological study
Emergency nurses work under sometimes uncertain conditions to provide care to patients with all kinds of illnesses and...
Systematic review of evidence on the impact of nursing workload and staffing on establishing healthy work environments
This systematic review set out to examine the impact, if any, of nursing workload and staffing on creating and...
Hostile clinician behaviours in the nursing work environment and implications for patient care: a mixed-methods systematic review - BMC Nursing
Background Although there is a sizeable body of evidence regarding the nature of hostile behaviours among clinicians in...
Christine HamiltonTennessee State University
Dr. Suresh PatelA1 Gauripark MENTAL HEALTH
Mik MikkelsenRasmussen University
Barbara KrajOld Dominion University
Jessica NacaOld Dominion University
Katrina CosendineOld Dominion University
Courtney RestrepoOld Dominion University
Kristy ConnerGovernors State University
Harold Nii-AponsahNorthern Illinois University
KElly CrispMaryville University of St. Louis
Aliya Senmodels in Ludhiana
Saara RizzoLakehead University
Stephanie LanceNorthern Illinois University
May SoongCity College of San Francisco
Teresa BeamManchester College
Sarah CollinsWashington State Community/Technical College
Mary Lou GalantinoRichard Stockton College of New Jersey
Angela SchepmanAt home use
Revive Hair & Skin ClinicLondon hair clinic
KALYNNE SERRAFEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF MARANHAO - UFMA
Aaron WagersMid America College of Mortuary science
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (484)
- Cardiology (212)
- COVID, SARS, MERS (35)
- Dentistry (84)
- Dermatology (39)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (70)
- Endocrinology (107)
- Epidemiology (110)
- Exercise Science (47)
- Gastroenterology (127)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (257)
- Geriatrics (70)
- Healthcare Administration (147)
- Healthcare Disparities/Inequities (14)
- Hematology (97)
- Internal Medicine (73)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (62)
- Mental Health (567)
- Nephrology (103)
- Neurology (333)
- Nursing Education (226)
- Nursing (1439)
- Nutrition (198)
- OB and Gyn (268)
- Ophthalmology (43)
- Orthopedics (132)
- Other (307)
- Pathology (42)
- Pediatrics (168)
- Pharmacy (149)
- Preventive Medicine (33)
- Public Health (563)
- Pulmonary Medicine (55)
- Radiology (74)
- Respiratory Therapy (5)
- Rheumatology (7)
- Sports Medicine (27)
- Surgery (222)
- Therapeutics (37)
- Toxicology (23)
- Veterinary Medicine (57)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- American Holistic Nurses Association
- National League for Nursing
Health Sciences on the Web
Why It's So Hard to Prevent Physician Suicide - Medscape
Jun 24, 2022 03:38 PM PDT
Ph.D. in Public Health Student Handbook - University of Nevada, Reno
Jun 24, 2022 03:19 PM PDT
Austin Public Health investigating possible monkeypox case
Jun 24, 2022 02:56 PM PDT
Examining the Partnership Between Pharmacy and Public Health During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Jun 24, 2022 02:51 PM PDT
Lehigh Valley Physician Group Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery ...
Jun 24, 2022 02:41 PM PDT
Can health care companies create physician programs while avoiding anti-kickback liability?
Jun 24, 2022 02:27 PM PDT
Using ctDNA to Guide Second-Line Therapy in ER+/HER2- Breast Cancer
Jun 24, 2022 02:00 PM PDT
Oregon County Considers Banning Legalized Psilocybin Therapy - Filter
Jun 24, 2022 01:49 PM PDT
Inflation is impacting specialty physician practices; Medicare needs the tools to respond
Jun 24, 2022 01:27 PM PDT
Physician charged with $11M knee brace fraud - Becker's ASC
Jun 24, 2022 01:09 PM PDT
Medications for Opioid Use Disorder (MOUD) Survey - District 4 Public Health
Jun 24, 2022 01:01 PM PDT
Astellas opens new $100M gene therapy production plant - Fierce Pharma
Jun 24, 2022 12:02 PM PDT
Austin Public Health closing last COVID-19 vaccine center
Jun 24, 2022 11:49 AM PDT
Governor Carney Formally Extends Public Health Emergency - State of Delaware News
Jun 24, 2022 11:36 AM PDT
Pressley Leads Call for Biden to Declare Public Health Emergency as Roe Ruling Looms
Jun 24, 2022 11:34 AM PDT
'Travel Therapy': Could a Vacation Help Mental Health and Well-Being?
Jun 24, 2022 11:33 AM PDT
Commentary: Leveraging Medical Society Meeting Dollars to Address the Public ... - DocWire News
Jun 24, 2022 11:25 AM PDT
The covid-19 pandemic will end with public health tools, not clinical ones | The BMJ
Jun 24, 2022 10:59 AM PDT
Travel therapy: Vacations can benefit people with mental health issues - Study Finds
Jun 24, 2022 10:54 AM PDT
What Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy Is Not - Psychology Today
Jun 24, 2022 10:50 AM PDT
Health Sciences on Twitter
- Study found that US government databases often conflate gender & sex terminology, which can significantly impact me… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | JAMAInternalMed
- Thank YOU @tiagopecanha @CarterPhysiol @UTA_HNCC for sharing your insight with The AJP-Heart and Circ Podcast!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | ajpheartcirc
- Did you know @ajpheartcirc has 5 Special Calls for Papers open right now? 📣
Click to find out more because we can't… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Watch Dr. Jody Greaney talk about her research, that we'll be featuring in an upcoming episode of Behind the Bench… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @utaconhi: Hear from expert & #CONHI Associate Dean for Research, Paul Fadel, on the latest episode of @ajpheartcirc's Heart and Circula…
- Check out this videocast of Dr. Efrat LeMandre and Gina LaMandre discussing How to Create an #LGBTQ+ Affirming Prac… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | NursPrac_online
- Don't forget to register for our Free Webinar on Telemedine in Sports Medicine! Monday June 27 at 8 PM EDT.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | AJSM_SportsMed
- Learn how text messages are being delivered to support #nurses. This #innovation from @ArizonaNurses is focused on… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | ANANursingWorld
- #OurAMA condemns SCOTUS's decision to overturn nearly a half century of precedent protecting patients’ right to cri… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Thank you @rita_tostes & co-authors for publishing this groundbreaking research in @ajpheartcirc!
"Th17 cells-link… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | ajpheartcirc