Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold at email@example.com.
Dr. Jamie Murphy's OER textbook for Transitions to Professional Nursing is featured in the Health Sciences showcase. The text is for students transitioning from an associate degree education to a baccalaureate degree. Content includes a broad overview of the nursing profession, the role of accrediting and professional organizations with a strong focus on the American Nurses Association’s foundational documents. The competencies of the Standards of Professional Practice and the Code of Ethics are weaved throughout the text.
Topics covered in this text include professional nursing practice, baccalaureate education, healthcare in the 21st century, autonomy and accountability, nursing philosophy, professional development, communication, interprofessional collaboration, critical thinking, introduction to evidence-based practice, and nursing leadership and theory.
Nursing yourself away from burnout and compassion fatigue... : Nursing made Incredibly Easy
As nurses, we're the quintessential multitaskers of the healthcare field. We're highly skilled in managing competing...
Extent of compassion satisfaction, compassion fatigue and burnout in nursing: A meta-analysis - PubMed
In nursing, the prevalence rates of compassion fatigue and burnout are high. Better education and training may have a...
Home of the Labyrinth Movement
We are so glad you've found us! If you are new to the labyrinth, you might want to learn more about it here, or watch our...
The Labyrinth Society: The Labyrinth Society
The journey of the Labyrinth Society (TLS) is very similar to that of a labyrinth walk. The “labyrinth landscape” has...
Is patient empowerment the key to promote adherence? A systematic review of the relationship between self-efficacy, health locus of control and medication adherence
Background Current health policies emphasize the need for an equitable doctor-patient relationship, and this requires a...
Professional nurses; facilitation of self-care in intensive care units: A concept analysis -
The result of the concept analysis was used to describe a model to facilitate professional nurses' self-care in the...
Practice Self-Care | Taking Charge of Your Health & Wellbeing
When it comes to your healthcare, it pays to take charge. Adopting a healthy lifestyle, getting preventative care, doing...
Navigating Self-Care at Work
Self-care has come to mean many different things for different individuals. Some people rely on mud masks and spa days or...
RLO: Body Metabolism
This RLO designed to provide an overview of how body metabolism responses to different physiological conditions.
RLO: Cardiac Output
This RLO is designed to explore the factors that affect cardiac output.
Bernadette Mazurek Melnyk, PhD | Everyday Health
Interviews, tips and articles linked to the helath and well-being of nurses and those for whom we care.
Cardiorespiratory | Peer Reviewed Articles
Coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) may disproportionately affect people with cardiovascular disease. Concern has been...
Cardiorespiratory endurance: Importance and how to improve
Cardiorespiratory endurance provides an indication of a person's physical fitness and measures how well the heart, lungs,...
RLO: DNA Damage and Repair Mechanisms in Human Cells
This RLO is designed to teach undergraduate students in healthcare-related programs to identify different types of DNA...
RLO: Using Varenicline for Smoking Cessation
This RLO is designed to describe the proper use of varenicline for smoking cessation, including its dosing regimen, side...
RLO: Using nicotine patches for smoking cessation
This RLO is designed to teach undergraduate students in healthcare-related programs how nicotine patches should be used...
Protein Drug Discovery & Development
This is a slightly modified version of the lecture "Protein Drug Discovery & Development", which I gave on 2020-09-09 for...
CAPS I Physical Examination Module: Cardiovascular System
At our institution, teaching basic physical examination (PE) skills capitalizes on the use of electronic resources and...
JOURNAL OF ADVANCES IN BREAST CANCER RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
The Journal of Advances in Breast Cancer Research and Development is an online open access peer reviewed journal that...
Health Equity | CDC
One of the primary goals of CDC’s National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP) is to...
Health IT and racial justice: Expanding access, ending disparities, empowering communities
We launch this page during Black History Month to celebrate the accomplishments of Black people across the healthcare...
Nearly half of U.S. workers suffer from mental health issues since Covid-19 pandemic hit, report finds
There's been a jump in worker mental health issues in the last 12 months, according to a report. Companies large and...
WHO Executive Board stresses need for improved response to mental health impact of public health emergencies
The importance of integrating mental health into preparedness and response plans for public health emergencies was...
Depression, Anxiety, Loneliness Are Peaking in College Students
A survey by a Boston University researcher of nearly 33,000 college students across the country reveals the prevalence of...
Emily Miller OlsonStanford Medical School
Aditya Srinivas ChavaliUniversity of Canada West
Blake AndersonWake Forest University
Valerie YuFort Hays State University
Heather HillDenmark Technical College
Janet WalkerDenmark Technical College
Julie CotePlymouth State College
Karen StarkShawnee Community/Technical College
Amanda Hinson-EnslinWright State University
Tina Schmidt-McNultyUniversity of Illinois System - Chicago
Allen PattersonCoastal Alabama Community College
Debra MunsellMississippi State University
Mohamad TlassHouston Community/Technical College System
hannah BarlisMount St. Mary's College
Tatiana ZabaletaTennessee State University
Christian GodboutUniversité du Québec à Rimouski
Alana AquinoAthabasca University
Scarlett MuñozINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Aldo DadoneSapienza Università di Roma
Veronica McDonoughMiddlesex Community/Technical College
Alessia GambelliCorso di Laurea in Odontoiatria e Protesi Dentaria
Ben ClarkOld Dominion University
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (477)
- Cardiology (207)
- Dentistry (59)
- Dermatology (38)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (70)
- Endocrinology (102)
- Epidemiology (92)
- Exercise Science (39)
- Gastroenterology (126)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (255)
- Geriatrics (64)
- Healthcare Administration (51)
- Hematology (91)
- Internal Medicine (72)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (51)
- Mental Health (559)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (328)
- Nursing Education (191)
- Nursing (1095)
- Nutrition (178)
- OB and Gyn (254)
- Ophthalmology (42)
- Orthopedics (131)
- Other (274)
- Pathology (37)
- Pediatrics (160)
- Pharmacy (143)
- Preventive Medicine (31)
- Public Health (504)
- Pulmonary Medicine (52)
- Radiology (74)
- Rheumatology (7)
- Sports Medicine (26)
- Surgery (220)
- Therapeutics (35)
- Toxicology (20)
- Veterinary Medicine (34)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
Health Sciences on the Web
Trust Me, You Want to Watch Couples Therapy
Apr 16, 2021 05:00 AM PDT
Medscape Physician Compensation Report Shows Salaries Held Steady, Despite Pandemic
Apr 16, 2021 03:07 AM PDT
Long-Term Care Facility COVID-19 Report | Georgia Department of Community Health
Apr 15, 2021 11:41 PM PDT
The best therapy money can't buy
Apr 15, 2021 10:03 PM PDT
Mother who lost teen to cancer grateful for therapy trial developed in Birmingham
Apr 15, 2021 06:07 PM PDT
Mariposa County Public Health Reports Two New Positive COVID Cases for a Total of 419 ...
Apr 15, 2021 05:56 PM PDT
Mesa County Public Health releases updated vaccine rates
Apr 15, 2021 05:55 PM PDT
Palo Alto Medical Foundation
Apr 15, 2021 05:40 PM PDT
Statement from the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada on April 15, 2021
Apr 15, 2021 05:27 PM PDT
Eagle County issues local COVID-19 public health order
Apr 15, 2021 05:00 PM PDT
St. Luke's chief physician addresses younger generation's concerns about COVID-19 vaccines
Apr 15, 2021 04:48 PM PDT
Kalamazoo doctor says antibody therapy reduces COVID-19 hospitalizations, deaths by 70%
Apr 15, 2021 03:30 PM PDT
NJ coronavirus public-health emergency extended into 14th month
Apr 15, 2021 03:18 PM PDT
Public health officials increase community outreach, minimize barriers as vaccine supply increases
Apr 15, 2021 03:00 PM PDT
Cell therapy treatment offers hope to blood cancer patients
Apr 15, 2021 02:56 PM PDT
WVU offers new art therapy degree
Apr 15, 2021 02:45 PM PDT
Local gene and cell therapy company a step closer to an HIV cure
Apr 15, 2021 02:43 PM PDT
Health Sciences on Twitter
- From 2008-2019, the percentage of U.S. adults who received mental health services increased for all racial and ethn… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…12 minutes ago | APA
- "Analogies reveal meaning without making the mistake of explaining it. I only want my athlete to know what to the d… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…14 minutes ago | Human_Kinetics
- .@DrSandyFryhofer provides a quick and comprehensive look at the emerging details regarding the Johnson & Johnson… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…23 minutes ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- By using more potent Gαi-biased #apelin receptor agonists that strongly inhibit cAMP production, data from Coquerel… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…26 minutes ago | ajpheartcirc
- This study investigated the effects of seated versus prone leg curl training on hamstrings muscle hypertrophy and s… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…34 minutes ago | MSSEonline
- Read an article from @JSMjournal! Agency Theory and Principal–Agent Alignment Masks: An Examination of Penalties in… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…45 minutes ago | Human_Kinetics
- Without feedback from our colleagues, we can never really know if we're on target with the impact we want to have.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…45 minutes ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- #AMSSM2021 attendees will enjoy this #podcast with past presidents @drchizzle @MPutukian twitter.com/CJSMonline/sta…1 hour ago | CJSMonline
- #EditorialFocus #ArticlesInPress “Let's talk about sex, let's talk about pulsatility, let's talk about all the good… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | japplphysiol
- #LevelingThePlayingField -- addressing health disparities in sports medicine the #podcast with @ekroshus twitter.com/CJSMonline/sta…1 hour ago | CJSMonline