Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold, Health Sciences Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Jamie Murphy's OER textbook for Transitions to Professional Nursing is featured in the Health Sciences showcase. The text is for students transitioning from an associate degree education to a baccalaureate degree. Content includes a broad overview of the nursing profession, the role of accrediting and professional organizations with a strong focus on the American Nurses Association’s foundational documents. The competencies of the Standards of Professional Practice and the Code of Ethics are weaved throughout the text.
Topics covered in this text include professional nursing practice, baccalaureate education, healthcare in the 21st century, autonomy and accountability, nursing philosophy, professional development, communication, interprofessional collaboration, critical thinking, introduction to evidence-based practice, and nursing leadership and theory.
Sugar is Not a Treat | Jody Stanislaw | TEDxSunValley
Sugar is hiding everywhere in today's widely-accepted diet, but meanwhile its devastating effects are creating more...
Living With High Functioning Anxiety | Jordan Raskopoulos | TEDxSydney
As a comedian and performer, Jordan Raskopolous does not suffer from stage fright, but away from the lights it’s a...
Healthcare Startup | Josh Liu | TEDxYouth@Toronto
Dr. Joshua Liu shares his ideas on how to improve healthcare by capitalizing on the accelerating world of mobile...
Healthcare Reform that Creates Healthier Communities | Anthony Slonim | TEDxUniversityofNevada
Anthony Slonim, M.D., DrPH, is the President and CEO of Renown Health in Reno, Nev., where he has transformed the health...
Poverty isn't a lack of character; it's a lack of cash
"Ideas can and do change the world," says historian Rutger Bregman, sharing his case for a provocative one: guaranteed...
What if our health care system kept us healthy?
Rebecca Onie asks audacious questions: What if waiting rooms were a place to improve daily health care? What if doctors...
Visualizing the medical data explosion
Medical scans can produce thousands of images for a single patient in seconds, but how do doctors know what's useful?...
A universal translator for surgeons
Laparoscopic surgery uses minimally invasive incisions -- which means less pain and shorter recovery times for patients....
A new way to heal hearts without surgery
At the intersection of medical invention and indigenous culture, pediatric cardiologist Franz Freudenthal mends holes in...
Ultrasound surgery -- healing without cuts
Imagine having a surgery with no knives involved. At TEDMED, Yoav Medan shares a technique that uses MRI to find trouble...
Surgery's past, present and robotic future
Surgeon and inventor Catherine Mohr tours the history of surgery (and its pre-painkiller, pre-antiseptic past), then...
Public Health in Pharmacy Practice: A Casebook - 2nd Edition
This casebook, now in its second edition, is a collaboration of over 90 individuals with expertise and training in public...
Documentation in Nursing, 1st Canadian edition
This open access textbook is intended to guide best practices of documentation in the nursing profession. This resource...
Minors’ Refusal of Life-Saving Therapies
Rare but challenging are those cases in which teenagers, whether for religious or other reasons, refuse or seek to...
Religious Diversity: Practical Points for Health Care Providers
Presented here are brief lists of points for health care providers to keep in mind when caring for patients from a number...
Online courses in foundational cannabis topics as well as advanced cannabis science and therapeutics. Approved by the...
Vital Sign Measurement Across the Lifespan, 1st Canadian edition
This open access textbook was developed as an introductory resource to guide best practices in vital sign measurement....
Leadership and Influencing Change in Nursing
Leadership and Influencing Change in Nursing is designed for a single-semester introduction to the professional nurse’s...
Web 2.0: Risks for STI/HIV - Opportunities for Prevention
This lecture explores the risks and prevention opportunities presented by the emergence of social networking and internet...
Water Sanitation Needs in Complex Humanitarian Emergencies
Presents a historical overview of the influence of water and sanitation on human health; types of water and sanitation...
Urban Health in Developing Countries
Explores the emerging public health issues associated with rapid growth of urban population in developing countries, with...
Understanding Cost-Effectiveness Analysis in Health Care
The primary objective of this content is to prepare students to read and interpret cost-effectiveness studies. The...
Tropical Environmental Health
Inadequate water supplies and lack of sanitation facilities represent major hazards to the public health in many parts of...
Training Methods and Continuing Education for Health Workers
This course in Training Methods and Continuing Education for Health Workers identifies the role of training and...
Deanna GraciaNational Taiwan University
Heena PariharCalifornia State University, East Bay
Susan HooverUniversity of North Carolina System - Wilmington
Andrea LinthicumUniversity of North Carolina System - Wilmington
Saanie SulleyRutgers University – RBHS
Elizabeth HartzState University of New York System - College at Buffalo (Buffalo State College)
Rebecca MachusekOld Dominion University
Hannah CoffmanCoastal Carolina University
Carolynn DeSandreUniversity System of Georgia - University of North Georgia
Lyniece McNair-LeviGrand Blanc Community High School
Jessie FainOld Dominion University
Brittany CohenUniversity of Rochester Medical Center
Fatimah Al RadhiTennessee State University
Fatimah TarmookhTennessee State University
Lujain AlamoudiTennessee State University
Indranill Basu-RayIndranill Basu-Ray
Jestine MartinezOld Dominion University
Alyssa CurtissCharles River Laboratories
Liana CoppolaOld Dominion University
Hannah NelsonUniversity of Mississippi
Danielle MoranCayuga County Community/Technical College
sharon brownBucks County Community/Technical College
Maria WamsleyUniversity of California System - San Francisco
Kendria MusgroveFlorida Atlantic University
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (479)
- Cardiology (209)
- COVID, SARS, MERS (22)
- Dentistry (59)
- Dermatology (39)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (70)
- Endocrinology (105)
- Epidemiology (104)
- Exercise Science (41)
- Gastroenterology (126)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (256)
- Geriatrics (66)
- Healthcare Administration (118)
- Healthcare Disparities/Inequities (4)
- Hematology (92)
- Internal Medicine (71)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (51)
- Mental Health (565)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (329)
- Nursing Education (218)
- Nursing (1241)
- Nutrition (188)
- OB and Gyn (258)
- Ophthalmology (42)
- Orthopedics (131)
- Other (297)
- Pathology (37)
- Pediatrics (162)
- Pharmacy (144)
- Preventive Medicine (31)
- Public Health (542)
- Pulmonary Medicine (52)
- Radiology (74)
- Respiratory Therapy (4)
- Rheumatology (7)
- Sports Medicine (26)
- Surgery (220)
- Therapeutics (37)
- Toxicology (22)
- Veterinary Medicine (34)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- American Holistic Nurses Association
- National League for Nursing
Health Sciences on the Web
County health official in Michigan quits over 'politicization' of public health - ABC12
Oct 22, 2021 09:18 AM PDT
Ben-Gurion U to propose occupational therapy program amid shortage - The Jerusalem Post
Oct 22, 2021 09:12 AM PDT
Antiplatelet therapy confers positive outcomes during COVID-19 hospitalization - Healio
Oct 22, 2021 08:28 AM PDT
Sports Medicine Primary Care Physician Joins Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush Team - PR Newswire
Oct 22, 2021 07:25 AM PDT
Dementia: Could infrared light therapy be the future? - Medical News Today
Oct 22, 2021 06:57 AM PDT
Children's COVID vaccine, maybe coming soon to a physician near you - The Newnan Times-Herald
Oct 22, 2021 06:45 AM PDT
Workers have more questions following public health district split - KRIS-TV
Oct 22, 2021 06:07 AM PDT
Gene-Edited T Cell Therapy Players Battle Safety Doubts - Labiotech.eu
Oct 22, 2021 06:01 AM PDT
Cardiologist and nurse practitioner now practicing in Crown Point | Health Care | nwitimes.com
Oct 22, 2021 04:38 AM PDT
Retired physician Johnny Bliznak a 'hero' among his peers - Reporter-News
Oct 22, 2021 04:34 AM PDT
Sensorion to Present at "Jefferies Gene Therapy / Editing Summit" - Yahoo Finance
Oct 22, 2021 04:32 AM PDT
SGMC continues to improve physician satisfaction, reduce burnout - Valdosta Today
Oct 22, 2021 04:29 AM PDT
Kern Public Health: 373 new COVID-19 cases, 12 new deaths reported Thursday | News ...
Oct 22, 2021 04:20 AM PDT
STI and HIV services in crisis pregnancy centers could cause real harm to public health
Oct 22, 2021 04:10 AM PDT
Pittsfield Public Health & Safety Panel Opts Out of Mosquito Control Project / iBerkshires ...
Oct 22, 2021 04:02 AM PDT
Greg Gutfeld: Racism is a public health crisis, if you're a racist | Fox News
Oct 22, 2021 03:51 AM PDT
Louisiana monoclonal antibody therapy treatment locations - WDSU
Oct 22, 2021 03:41 AM PDT
Colorado physician weighs in on ICU bed capacity - The Denver Channel
Oct 22, 2021 03:08 AM PDT
Helixmith Announces Phase 3 Study Results of Novel Gene Therapy Treatment for Diabetic ...
Oct 22, 2021 03:08 AM PDT
Helixmith Announces Phase 3 Study Results of Novel Gene Therapy Treatment for Diabetic ...
Oct 22, 2021 03:02 AM PDT
Health Sciences on Twitter
- If tenderness is assessed at the greater tubercle of the humerus following shoulder trauma, consider referring the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…25 minutes ago | Human_Kinetics
- Learn how to stop the spread of the highly transmissible C. auris pathogen in this free webinar from IPC experts an… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…36 minutes ago | ANANursingWorld
- Researchers have found a new type of Hendra virus (HeV-g2) in Australian flying foxes. HeV-g2 can be considered a z… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…45 minutes ago | BioMedCentral
- The highly anticipated new edition of Yoga Anatomy by @lkaminoff and Amy Matthews is hot off the press & full of ne… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | Human_Kinetics
- Doomscrolling through endless feeds of pandemic news can take a toll on both your mental and physical health. These… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | APA
- The scientific evidence is clear: #VaccinesWork. FDA’s authorization and CDC's recommendations in support of booste… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @AlhajSalehMD: Thank you AMA and other esteemed organizations for recognizing IMGs! I hope many surgery and other competitive programs c…
- RT @StGeorgesU: IMGs play a vital role in the US healthcare system. Join us this #IMGWeek in celebrating these remarkable physicians, and l…
- In addition to NDMA, regulatory authorities are now looking into azido impurities in certain heart meds… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | pharmacists
- This week 🔔#SuggestedRead
Pharmacological attenuation of group III/IV muscle afferents improves endurance performa… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | japplphysiol