Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold, Health Sciences Editor at email@example.com.
Dr. Jamie Murphy's OER textbook for Transitions to Professional Nursing is featured in the Health Sciences showcase. The text is for students transitioning from an associate degree education to a baccalaureate degree. Content includes a broad overview of the nursing profession, the role of accrediting and professional organizations with a strong focus on the American Nurses Association’s foundational documents. The competencies of the Standards of Professional Practice and the Code of Ethics are weaved throughout the text.
Topics covered in this text include professional nursing practice, baccalaureate education, healthcare in the 21st century, autonomy and accountability, nursing philosophy, professional development, communication, interprofessional collaboration, critical thinking, introduction to evidence-based practice, and nursing leadership and theory.
Anesthetics Nursing Considerations & Management - RNpedia
Anesthetics Nursing Considerations & Management-Drug and Study Notes & Practice Exam
US Healthcare System Explained
Ever wondered how the healthcare system in the USA worked? We explain everything in this video!
The Structure & Cost of US Health Care: Crash Course Sociology #44
In our final episode of Crash Course Sociology we are going to talk about what the health care system in the US looks...
Medical Law and Ethics
This course presents much of its content online. This course is designed to help the medical professional become familiar...
This book introduces the entry-level nursing student to the scope of nursing practice, various communication techniques,...
This Nursing Skills textbook is an open educational resource with a CC-BY 4.0 license developed for entry-level...
Core 2.5: Child Maltreatment Identification, Part 1 | OER Commons
This training provides participants with the skills to recognize factors that will assist them in accurately identifying...
The Health Care Delivery System: The US and Worldwide
This lesson looks at the terms health care delivery system and universal health care and what each means. It also...
What Is Managed Care? - Definition, History & Systems - Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com
This healthcare lesson will define managed care in an understandable format, providing a brief history and giving a...
History of the U.S. Healthcare System
History of the U.S. Healthcare System
History of Hospitals
History of Hospitals
Foundations of Addiction Studies
Addiction is a concept that has been around for hundreds of years, but we still struggle to define and understand the...
Glossary A-Z; Our NHS People
Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Glossary
Introduction to the Healthcare System
Hospitals, clinic and community health agencies can be very different from other work environments. Healthcare systems...
Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments
We are in a new dawn regarding environmental health in the US and, in fact, globally. The public awareness and interest...
How To Understand U.S. Healthcare? Follow The Money | Dr. Jonathan Burroughs | TEDxWolfeboro
consultant Dr. Jonathan Burroughs suggests playing a game of "follow the money." He asserts that whenever healthcare...
Chapter 3: Paying for Health Services
Sample book chapter
Intro to Health Care
Confused about the U.S. health care system? This introduction uses one patient as an example to illustrate how money...
Resources to Support the Health and Well-Being of Clinicians During COVID-19 - National Academy of Medicine
Resources that offer more information on how to support the health and well-being of clinicians during public health...
A Review of Field Experiments on the Effect of Forest Bathing on Anxiety and Heart Rate Variability
Many studies have explored the physiological and psychological benefits of the Japanese nature therapy practice of...
Medical empirical research on forest bathing (Shinrin-yoku): a systematic review
Aims: This study focused on the newest evidence of the relationship between forest environmental exposure and human...
Effects of forest bathing on prehypertensive and hypertensive adults: a review of the literature
The aim in this literature review was (1) to explore the physiologically and psychologically therapeutic benefits of...
Effects of Short Forest Bathing Program on Autonomic Nervous System Activity and Mood States in Middle-Aged and Elderly Individuals
Abstract: The present study investigated changes in autonomic nervous system activity and emotions after a short (2 h)...
How Should Forests Be Characterized in Regard to Human Health? Evidence from Existing Literature
Abstract: The potential of forests as a source of health has been addressed by the scientific community and is now being...
Ramona HunterRush University
Alicia BennewiesConestoga College of Applied Arts and Technology
Ahmed Ben AbderrazekInsitut Supérieur des Sciences Infirmières de Sousse
Rebekah ValdezLone Star college
Hannah HenryOld Dominion University
Tiffany DelageOld Dominion University
Jennifer WidgetUniversity of Brazil
Jaide BurnetteOld Dominion University
Shannon BrownUniversity at Buffalo
Chelsea AtkinsEast Carolina University
Alicia Charles-StuartCollege of Science Technology and Applied Arts of Trinidad and Tobago
Maison BramelLincoln University of Missouri
Andrea LowmanNotre Dame Preparatory School
Amanda GravesEast Carolina University
Andrea ChuteGrant MacEwan University
Imam AryaPasundan University
Evolutis HealthEvolutis Health
Barbara HarrisAbilene Christian University
Nikki VisveshwaraFresno City College
Nicole PekarekWinston-Salem State University
Kimberly Stacy Vargas Rodríguezfundación universitaria del área andina
Johanna AnguloJohanna Angulo
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (477)
- Cardiology (207)
- Dentistry (59)
- Dermatology (38)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (70)
- Endocrinology (102)
- Epidemiology (92)
- Exercise Science (39)
- Gastroenterology (126)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (256)
- Geriatrics (64)
- Healthcare Administration (62)
- Hematology (92)
- Internal Medicine (71)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (51)
- Mental Health (560)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (328)
- Nursing Education (193)
- Nursing (1102)
- Nutrition (178)
- OB and Gyn (254)
- Ophthalmology (42)
- Orthopedics (131)
- Other (275)
- Pathology (37)
- Pediatrics (160)
- Pharmacy (143)
- Preventive Medicine (31)
- Public Health (507)
- Pulmonary Medicine (52)
- Radiology (74)
- Rheumatology (7)
- Sports Medicine (26)
- Surgery (220)
- Therapeutics (35)
- Toxicology (20)
- Veterinary Medicine (34)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- American Holistic Nurses Association
- National League for Nursing
Health Sciences on the Web
'Customized antiplatelet therapy safer, more effective in non-ruptured cerebral aneurysm coil ...
Jun 20, 2021 10:15 PM PDT
Seeking empathy, not prejudice, as therapy
Jun 20, 2021 09:07 PM PDT
Black Nurse Practitioner Launches Platform to Assist Students Transitioning into Practice
Jun 20, 2021 08:33 PM PDT
Joint Motion Physical Therapy Athlete of the Week: Raiders Track & Field 4 x 400 Team
Jun 20, 2021 08:00 PM PDT
Dr. Bijay P. Ghoorah, 80, surgeon and family physician
Jun 20, 2021 07:48 PM PDT
Public Health Officials Report 68 New COVID-19 As Rate of Fully Vaccinated in US Rises to 45%
Jun 20, 2021 07:15 PM PDT
Six months after COVID-19 battle, nurse practitioner works to regain old self
Jun 20, 2021 06:52 PM PDT
Diarrheal illnesses connected to Tanganyika under investigation by KDHE, Sedgwick County
Jun 20, 2021 05:22 PM PDT
World Music Day: Experts endorse music therapy for mental health of recovering COVID patients
Jun 20, 2021 04:37 PM PDT
Disabled veterans use golf as therapy for physical, emotional wounds
Jun 20, 2021 04:26 PM PDT
Virginia's childhood vaccinations dropped in 2020. Researchers worry it could be the next public ...
Jun 20, 2021 02:56 PM PDT
Nemoo the therapy steer is changing lives, one hug at a time
Jun 20, 2021 02:09 PM PDT
Kern County Public Health reports 20 new COVID-19 cases
Jun 20, 2021 01:37 PM PDT
60 new COVID-19 cases reported, public health restrictions to be removed July 11
Jun 20, 2021 01:03 PM PDT
June 20 COVID-19 update: Public health restrictions to be lifted July 11, one death, 60 new cases
Jun 20, 2021 12:41 PM PDT
RETAIL THERAPY Forget e-tail therapy, it's time to get offline and shop 'til you drop
Jun 20, 2021 12:30 PM PDT
Radiation therapy as a pound of prevention? A ray of hope for pancreatic cancer patients, thanks to ...
Jun 20, 2021 11:45 AM PDT
NEET will destroy medical education and public health system, says State Platform for Common ...
Jun 20, 2021 11:22 AM PDT
Rigorously implement public health, social measures along with more Covid-19 vaccinations: WHO
Jun 20, 2021 11:00 AM PDT
Health Sciences on Twitter
- A study published in @AlzheimersRes reports that the negative effects of COVID-19 on the central nervous system cou… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | BioMedCentral
- If Missouri upholds a law limiting how much a jury can award for non-economic damages in a medical liability lawsui… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Inspired by his #ophthalmologist father, Spurgeon William Clark III, MD, of the same specialty, thrives on providin… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Crowd-control tactics used by law enforcement at some anti-racism protests have been called a public health threat.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- FACT: If you’re 12 years or older in the US, you’re eligible to get a COVID-19 vaccine. Get started here:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Last year in North America, Colgate Bright Smiles, Bright Futures donated more than 3 million units of oral care pr… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | DentistryToday
- The journey from international medical graduate (IMG) to practicing physician stateside, while rewarding, can requi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…5 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- RT @sportsmedres: 🎙️ The Latest Trends in Concussions Among Adolescents in the United States (Podcast, 7 minutes)
sportsmedres.org/the-latest-tre… h…6 hours ago | CJSMonline
- RT @KenReedLofF: Euro #Soccer World Refuses to Take Brain Trauma Seriously bit.ly/3cVMhq9 #concussion #football6 hours ago | CJSMonline
- In case you missed it, watch our #PrideMonth Prioritizing Equity discussion on what physicians can do to best suppo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | AmerMedicalAssn